Too many scam adverts these days!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Havent really watched a proper set of adverts in at least a couple of years so thought id just see what was on during the break.

8 different adverts came on.

4 of them were the scam Injury/Accident adverts

1 was a go comare/money supermarket type of ad

1 was a bingo advert

1 was a loan advert

The other was just a advert for a upcoming show.

Why has TV advertising suddenly been bombarded with these trashy adverts?

Surely it was that long ago when we had normal adverts on tv. I found a old tape from when I recorded something on challenge in 2006 and was suprised to notice not one bingo/loan or accident advert they were all selling a product that you could buy in a shop.

Isnt it time we had adverts that encouraged us to buy either a toy, food or a drink?

Come to think of it back in the day we had adverts about safety like Dont talk to strangers or teaching us about the green cross code but it just seems today tv standards dont give a damn about kids safety.

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,451
    Forum Member
    You can't force people to advertise or stop others so how do you propose encouraging the 'right' kind of adverts?
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,483
    Forum Member
    Your last paragraph should be a must in this day and age.

Agree about all the rubbish ads and how do they get away with all the betting ads when so many people are in debt because of it.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,836
    Forum Member
    It perhaps says more about the program or channel you were watching at the time. Adverts are targetted at the kind of viewer an advertising campaigner will think will be watching in order to gain the most impact.

I watched something the other night on C4 and didn't see one of those adverts you have described above.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What? No "Over 50 - help your loved ones by taking out this policy and get a free Parker pen" ads?
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually find those bleeding heart, begging appeals for tigers/snow leopards/donkeys/blind, limbless Ukrainian orphans even more irritating. I think it's mainly due to the whiny voices of the actors doing the voice-overs. Also, that they seem to go on for even longer than it takes to make a cup of tea or go for a period of contemplation in the loo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't force people to advertise or stop others so how do you propose encouraging the 'right' kind of adverts?

Well they could if they didnt give them a contract.

Dont kids safety apply these days?
    Forum Member
    Well they could if they didnt give them a contract.

Dont kids safety apply these days?

How would the tv companies make money?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can still make money through proper advertisements.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had adverts for accident prevention in the old days, but we also had adverts for **** and cigars.

But yes, I agree with daveycrocket222. Like many things, the memorable advert will no doubt soon be a thing of the past. Even the most innocuous products at the moment are being promoted with a voice-over steeped in fake bad attitude, like having a "bitch face" and attendant personality is something to aspire to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v98CPXNiSk

We used to have adverts voiced by people with rich, expressive tones, chosen because they could act and therefore add some gravitas. Not now. They'd rather have some cheap oik faking his way through some bad Mockney, But then, decent products aren't advertised much these days because they don't need to be. Staples such as Heinz baked beans are rarely if ever advertised, and I doubt I've ever seen lemonade advertised since R Whites - unless you count American products like Sprite. Ditto well known brands of chocolates like Milk Tray, Terry's All Gold, etc. Are they still advertised? PG Tips? Hovis? Are there even adverts these days for Nescafe and Gold Blend? Wrigley's gum? Birds Eye beef burgers? Some things sell whether advertised or not.

Oh, and the bingo sponsor ads they have before Emmerdale. Bet365bingo? That young-ish posh looking woman who is revealed after she takes off the bingo ball head has never played bingo in her life, and never will. They should show the sort of brassy, tab smoking, pie eating, overweight lump who does instead. ;)
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,751
    Forum Member
    A multitude of channels does not lead to better TV. It dilutes the advertising revenue across numerous channels, combined with lower ratings and advertising rates it opens the door to the claims/loans and charity ads.

The ad agencies still have their major clients advertising across more platforms and they have additional income from the smaller advertisers who can now afford to advertise on TV.

TV channels claim they need sponsorship, longer ad breaks, more of them, product placement, dodgey competitions to be financially viable. OFCOM has shown its loyalty is to the broadcasters rather than viewers and programme content.

Like the banks OFCOM has de-regulated television and advertising.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daytime TV advertisers know there audiences.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the Wikion public safety films and why we don't see them anymore:
    "PIFs were supplied to broadcasters free of charge for them to use whenever they wished. Their usefulness as a cost-free means to fill the gaps in fixed-duration commercial breaks left by unsold advertising airtime led to their being used regularly and extensively in the 60s, 70s and much of the 80s, and consequently, within both the COI and broadcasting companies they were typically known as "fillers". They are still being produced, although the vastly reduced need for broadcasters to turn to third-party filler material to deal with unused airtime during breaks or junctions means they are now only seen rarely."

Mind you with the current spate of people drowning in quarries/rivers/lakes perhaps there should be a mandated number of slots on commercial and BBC made over to them.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I remember when i was younger i loved the adverts. My parents would watch boring shows so i would actually look forward to the adverts every fifteen minutes to see what toys and household products looked good!

Now its just wonga, cash for gold, injury lawyers 4 u etc. i do wish there were more product items.
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    none of them are scam adverts

A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.
    To defraud; swindle.

you wont find that in tv adverts so i don't know what you mean .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    none of them are scam adverts

A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.
    To defraud; swindle.

you wont find that in tv adverts so i don't know what you mean .

Yes you do. You're splitting hairs and be argumentative for the sake of it. The OP and others have explained in detail what they mean. And I bet it wouldn't take much investigation via Google to find anecdotal evidence of people who have indeed been defrauded and swindled by the insurance (etc) companies referred to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Here's the Wikion public safety films and why we don't see them anymore:
    "PIFs were supplied to broadcasters free of charge for them to use whenever they wished. Their usefulness as a cost-free means to fill the gaps in fixed-duration commercial breaks left by unsold advertising airtime led to their being used regularly and extensively in the 60s, 70s and much of the 80s, and consequently, within both the COI and broadcasting companies they were typically known as "fillers". They are still being produced, although the vastly reduced need for broadcasters to turn to third-party filler material to deal with unused airtime during breaks or junctions means they are now only seen rarely."

Mind you with the current spate of people drowning in quarries/rivers/lakes perhaps there should be a mandated number of slots on commercial and BBC made over to them.

Kids safety in the past 5 years has been absolutely terrible. Many a times ive seen them just cross the road either on their own or with parents without even looking both ways. I sometime wonder why Highway Maintenence even bothers with pedestrian crossings when people rarely use them or pressing the button in and waiting for the green man to appear.
  • draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, and the bingo sponsor ads they have before Emmerdale. Bet365bingo? That young-ish posh looking woman who is revealed after she takes off the bingo ball head has never played bingo in her life, and never will. They should show the sort of brassy, tab smoking, pie eating, overweight lump who does instead. ;)

Tombola were way ahead of you Mikey...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tombola+emmerdale&oq=tombola+emmerdale&gs_l=youtube.3...6699.10374.0.10608.19.18.1.0.0.0.130.1649.12j6.18.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.QzE4atXrzh0
  • bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish Channel 4 would realise that not all of their afternoon viewing audience are over the hill, most of their ads are for Saga insurance, mobility scooters, stairlifts or Ronnie Corbet advertising Wiltshire farm foods!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    draig goch wrote: »

Now those were proper bingo people! :)
    Kids safety in the past 5 years has been absolutely terrible. Many a times ive seen them just cross the road either on their own or with parents without even looking both ways. I sometime wonder why Highway Maintenence even bothers with pedestrian crossings when people rarely use them or pressing the button in and waiting for the green man to appear.

Adults too. If they are walking along a path and a road happens to bisect it they couldn't care less - on they stroll, noses usually stuck in their mobile phones. If it wasn't for vigilant drivers watching out for such idiots the roads would be utter carnage. I would have very little sympathy for such a clown were they sent sprawling across the tarmac.
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes you do. You're splitting hairs and be argumentative for the sake of it. The OP and others have explained in detail what they mean. And I bet it wouldn't take much investigation via Google to find anecdotal evidence of people who have indeed been defrauded and swindled by the insurance (etc) companies referred to.

name one ? ?

show me one example .

there is a process before a advert can even be shown to protect the public .
    Forum Member
    You can still make money through proper advertisements.

By excluding half their customer base they will severely limit themselves and make a hell of a lot less at a time when advertising revenues are already falling sharply.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I thought people were always moaning about health and safety, and the nanny state. Bringing back those adverts would make such people froth at the mouth!
  • conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Your last paragraph should be a must in this day and age.

Agree about all the rubbish ads and how do they get away with all the betting ads when so many people are in debt because of it.

Thought this government were going to look into this (gambling commercials)
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »

I used to like the ones with Charley the Cat, Tufty the Squirrel and Joe and Petunia.

They should bring things like that back - and perhaps include one about not walking your dog in a field full of cows as some people obviously never read or watch the news these days.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Kids safety in the past 5 years has been absolutely terrible. Many a times ive seen them just cross the road either on their own or with parents without even looking both ways.

A couple of weeks ago I was turning into a road when a small child just dashed across the road in front of me without bothering to look. Luckily I was only going slowly at the time otherwise he would have been hit (he was just a couple of inches from the car). He looked like he was probably in about year 1. I never let my children go to and from school on their own at that age as they don't really have any road sense.