Options

Did any celebrity deaths really upset you?

Comments

• Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Yep I was genuinely gutted when he died, which surprised me a bit as I wouldn't have considered myself a real fan, although I quite liked his shows. It was just the random, pointless nature of it I think, and he did seem like a genuinely good bloke.

Me too.
    What made it sadder for me was how upset my children were, as they idolised him.
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy Winehouse
    Philip Seymour Hoffman

The loss of their talent as much as them.
  • Options
    Glitter03Glitter03 Posts: 2,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Michael Jackson died i remember watching the sky news live and feeling sad that i would never get to see him live (i had tickets for his tour).

As a huge boyzone fan for 20yrs i remember saying to my partner when watching the MJ scenes 'i would be devastated if this happened to any of BZ).

4 months later and Stephen Gately passed away. I was so upset and very shocked as it was so unexpected. Watching his funeral on Sky was devastating.

I know and understand why people on here and in general say they have not felt upset as they are just celebs and we do not know them personally etc. However Boyzone have and still are a big part of my life (i dont have the house decorated in posters and paraphernalia etc :D ) but i have never missed a tour and try go to as many shows on each tour as i can that they do and go along to all the solo stuff too. I had met Stephen many times over the years and he was such a lovely man and genuinely did seem to love being on stage etc

Anyways i have rambled on too much :D but yes that one really got me :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freddie Mercury :(
  • Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only once and funnily enough it was when I was a child. The actor Jeffrey Hunter. I was eight years old and it was Easter and I had just seen the film King of Kings on TV. He was my very first ever crush - those blue eyes - to my eight year old heart he was gorgeous., a dreamboat. Next morning at breakfast I asked mum did he live in Hollywood and mum told me that he'd died in an accident in his house just a couple of years earlier. I was absolutely crushed.

I thought Audrey Hepburn's death was sad and a surprise because she'd only just been to Australia not too long before and I'd watched her on some of the chat shows.

Natasha Richardson's death was both a surprise and very sad. You think these people live gilded lives and then something so ordinary happens and suddenly they're gone.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    No. none whatsoever.
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ayton Senna - You just don't expect the most talented racing driver of his time to die in a crash during a race
    Amy Winehouse - Too damn young
    Peaches Geldof - Ditto
    Freddie Mercury - So much good music he never got make in the 1990's, 2000's, and 2010's
    Michael Jackson - Ditto (but different decades)
    Whitney Houston - Ditto
    Princess Diana - William and Harry should not have grown up without their Mum.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,016
    Forum Member
    sej17 wrote: »
    Donna Summer and Paul Newman as I was a big fan of both and they were part of my history.

Me too. I was upset about her passing. Love's Unkind was my first single.

Bernie Nolan - I felt terribly sad about her too. Much sadder than I expected to be.
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Did any celebrity deaths really upset you?

I was terribly upset when I heard of the deaths of John Lennon,George Harrison and James Gandolfini because they had given me so much enjoyment in my life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River Pheonix.

I may have had a few tears in my eyes when watching Stand by me not long after he died and at the end of the film he says not if I see you first and just fades away !
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Nellie1000 wrote: »
    Snooker player Paul Hunter. Cancer took him aged 27. Far too young

Yeah that one shocked me too, i always thought he would recover from his cancer so when he died i wasn't expecting it, i think it hit me because i knew a Neighbour of a similar age at the time who was battling cancer, luckily he survived and Paul was only a couple of years older than me, made me for the first time think of my own mortality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    More shocked than upset, but....

Cliff Burton.
    Euronymous
    Dimebag Darrell
    Clive Burr
    Pete Steele
    Phil Lynott
    Gary Moore
    Randy Rhoads
    Chuck Schuldiner
    Ronnie James Dio

I still get upset over Dimebag and have a wee drink on the anniversary.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    The only celebrity death that I can remember being really upset by was Pete Duel's. Remember him? Smith from Alias Smith & Jones. I was about 12 at the time and I thought about his death for ages afterwards. To be honest - I wouldn't have been that bothered if it had been Ben Murphey (Jones) which looking back seems rather callous.

Apart from that I can only remember being upset by the Labour leader John Smith's death.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not that they arrested him that's the problem and you have to ask, I'm not going to even waste my time in getting into it with you.

A good response if you haven't actually got an explanation.

The Police arrested a suspect. The CPS said there was sufficient evidence to prosecute and he was found guilty by a jury.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not upset, as I don't personally know them.

Sometimes feel very saddened, like when John Peel died.

Also think it's such a pity when someone dies so young, such as Amy Winehouse, who had the potential for so much more. Ashamedly, I felt the opposite when Jade Goody died.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bill Hicks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I've never felt any grief for a celebrity death but I felt a bit freaked out when I heard that Peaches Geldof had died because I'd been watching her video clips on Instagram literally minutes before the news broke.
  • Options
    tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was upset when Aaliyah died i couldn't listen to her music for ages & was devastated when Princess Diana died, not entirely sure why as no one else has had that effect on me since. Now i'm usually shocked more than anything especially when its someone young like Peaches Geldof.
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one that upset me most was the artist Mark Speight. I used to watch him with the kids on BBC's Smart and the kids thought he was fab. To see his downward spiral into depression after his girlfriend died, then the hunt when he went missing only to be found hanged some days later was upsetting. I have depression myself and just really felt for him.

I was going to say this... Beyond sad.

And of course Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Yep I was genuinely gutted when he died, which surprised me a bit as I wouldn't have considered myself a real fan, although I quite liked his shows. It was just the random, pointless nature of it I think, and he did seem like a genuinely good bloke.

I remember hearing about his death on breakfast television whilst I was getting ready for school.
    I was quite shocked but kinda glad in a way that he had died doing something he loved and although he left behind a young family at least he got to go in quite an exciting way (if you can call it that) which I can imagine would be what he'd have preferred,
  • Options
    annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Lennon, he was only 40 and murdered.

Natasha Richardson, as it was an accident, leaving Liam neesan and two sons, they seemed to have a happy marriage.

Diana, no matter what your opinion of her, the prince's had to grow up without her.

This may not be taken seriously but Dustin Gee who was Les Dennis s comedy partner who died suddenly and quite young. Me and my mum had only watched them switch on the Xmas lights in Liverpool a few weeks previously.
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    Clarence Clemons, Bruce Springsteen's sax player. Still makes me cry when I hear him play, knowing he'll never be on that stage again.... :(
  • Options
    dechechodechecho Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff Hamilton.
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    MRS W wrote: »
    Freddie Mercury :(

Ah yes, Freddie. I bet his passing freaked out a lot of other celebrities. Hope they all took AIDS tests to see if they were clear......
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only celebrity death that I can remember being really upset by was Pete Duel's. Remember him? Smith from Alias Smith & Jones. I was about 12 at the time and I thought about his death for ages afterwards. To be honest - I wouldn't have been that bothered if it had been Ben Murphey (Jones) which looking back seems rather callous.

I can remember that too - he was only young, wasn't he?

Likewise Richard Beckinsale.

I was upset at Diana's death too :(