Options

Size 'C' rechargeable batteries advice please......

SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
Forum Member
After some advice on rechargeable batteries for powering a Sony CD/DAB player for outside use. I was going with 6 Energiser Rechargeable 2500mAh batteries from Argos at a whopping £10 per pack of two! However, they mixed up my order and they weren't in stock when they claimed they were. Having said that, it looks as if it might have been a blessing in disguise. I'm now reading that these may not be that good or certainly not suitable for the purpose I had in mind.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of powering such an electrical device as a Sony CD player/DAB radio with batteries. I've also paid over the odds for the Energiser Universal Charger - I may return this back to Argos though. Are there any batteries you are using that may be worth considering? I've read loads of reviews and feel completely confused as to which batteries to go for now.

Comments

• Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought energiser were good.
    Especially the non rechargeable ones.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should include the model number of the Sony CD player.

I assume this model does not recharge the batteries in-situ?

The Energiser ACCU C batteries that Argos stock for £9.99 looked fine to me, they are "Low loss" types which hold onto their charge well when the device is not being used on batteries.

2500mAh does not seem a very good capacity though. You can get 3000mAh capacity C cells for the same price, not on Argos though.

If you already have AA rechargable batteries did you know you can get C Cell adapters that let you put AA batteries inside them?

6 adapters for £3.24

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-X-Fameart-AA-C-Cell-Battery-Adaptor-Converter-FAACAPD-/121177309375?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item1c36bb00bf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    getzls wrote: »
    I always thought energiser were good.
    Especially the non rechargeable ones.

Some reviews rate them - and others say they are not as good as people might assume. Ordinary non rechargeable may be ok though - I've been looking into rechargeable batteries. I suppose these big brand battery companies are hardly likely to provide very long lasting rechargeable batteries since they want you to keep buying them on a regular basis.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just read up on this it appears that DAB systems especially may have problems with rechargable batteries.

You may need to use ordinary Alkaline batteries! Ouch.

But that C-Cell adapter I listed above would be useful here. You can often buy AA Alkalines in bulk very cheaply and 1.5V is 1.5V whether it's from an AA or a C cell.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    If your lucky Sony may do a rechargeable battery pack that can be purchased for the unit.
  • Options
    in_focusin_focus Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Having just read up on this it appears that DAB systems especially may have problems with rechargable batteries.

You may need to use ordinary Alkaline batteries! Ouch.

Correct, remember rechargeable batteries only produce 1.2 volts and non-rechargeable 1.5. Six ordinary batteries in series will produce a total of 9 volts, six rechargeable ones will only be 7.2 V. Check your instruction book.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You should include the model number of the Sony CD player.

I assume this model does not recharge the batteries in-situ?

The Energiser ACCU C batteries that Argos stock for £9.99 looked fine to me, they are "Low loss" types which hold onto their charge well when the device is not being used on batteries.

2500mAh does not seem a very good capacity though. You can get 3000mAh capacity C cells for the same price, not on Argos though.

If you already have AA rechargable batteries did you know you can get C Cell adapters that let you put AA batteries inside them?

6 adapters for £3.24

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-X-Fameart-AA-C-Cell-Battery-Adaptor-Converter-FAACAPD-/121177309375?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item1c36bb00bf

It's a Sony ZS RS70BTB DAB/CD/USB/Blurtooth. The unit uses 16watts and claims a battery life of between 7hours and 9 hours dependent on what facility on the unit is being used. Their battery life estimates are based on ordinary Sony Alkaline batteries according to the spec sheet.

I'm also wondering if one of these small portable power stations advertised might be a better option although that would make it end up being a very cumbersome combo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might wish to test if rechargeable batteries can work with this Sony CD/DAB before spending much money. Rechargeables= 1.2V Alkaline=1.5V. This can be a problem for some gadgets apparently.

If you already have some AA rechargeables then why not buy this adapter of Ebay to temporarily turn them into C cells?

Apparently those £9.99 Energisers you mentioned are likely to be AA rechargeables in a C case, that's why they are just 2500mAh in capacity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You might wish to test if rechargeable batteries can work with this Sony CD/DAB before spending much money. Rechargeables= 1.2V Alkaline=1.5V. This can be a problem for some gadgets apparently.

If you already have some AA rechargeables then why not buy this adapter of Ebay to temporarily turn them into C cells?

Apparently those £9.99 Energisers you mentioned are likely to be AA rechargeables in a C case, that's why they are just 2500mAh in capacity

I wasn't even aware of that until I started looking into batteries in more detail. I'll check out the other options you've suggested. The AA battery adaptor idea is certainly food for thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm now looking at a Ring Power Pack to power up the Sony CD/DAB player when outside.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The voltage is slightly lower, so that could potentially affect some electronics. The more batteries ("cells" for the pedants) you have in series, the greater the disparity in voltage. But having said that, the terminal voltage of alkaline cells will drop as they discharge more than rechargeables, so not being able to handle a lower voltage is down to bad design, I think.

I have no trouble using 4 Sanyo Eneloop AA rechargeables (my preferred brand) in my cheap DAB portable from Asda!
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    The voltage is slightly lower, so that could potentially affect some electronics. The more batteries ("cells" for the pedants) you have in series, the greater the disparity in voltage. But having said that, the terminal voltage of alkaline cells will drop as they discharge more than rechargeables, so not being able to handle a lower voltage is down to bad design, I think.

I have no trouble using 4 Sanyo Eneloop AA rechargeables (my preferred brand) in my cheap DAB portable from Asda!

Yes very bad design especially as there are 6 cells so the electronics should be working on a simple step down switch mode power supply, it is harder though still okay if working off one or two cells.

I've never come across kit that won't work okay off NiMHi even where the instructions say not to use them though I'm sure there are some out there. If anything NiMHi should be better as they continue giving out a decent voltage longer into their full capacity especially for medium to high power usage.