H Redknapp 6
G Neville 8
Mourinho 8
Guardiola 10
Pearce 14
Pardew 14
Moyes 16
Curbishley 20

These really are dreadful odds, considering none of the names on the list are realistic.
That said it's easy to see why Hodgson is the default option for 2016; who else is an option?

Comments

• Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We would have won the World Cup by now if Scolari became our manager. F'n British media ruined it by intruding on his personal life when he was going for the job so he got turned off and decided against it.
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem isn't the manager, it's the players.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the odds on all the sportswriters for England's finest newspapers combining their vast knowledge of the game & uniting as a group to take over managing the England national side?

It makes sense, because they always know which players & which formations the England manager should utilise for every single match they play.

They could also hire all the black cab drivers to do the coaching & we would be sorted.

We'd win the World Cup every fours, of that, I am certain.
  • Options
    knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from a couple, what a terrifying list and prospect.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Ask about Carlos Queroz.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is Curbishley on any "Next Manager of....." lists??

Especially this one!
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    fleabee wrote: »
    The problem isn't the manager, it's the players.

Would they be the players he picked :confused:
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Gary Neville would be fantastic. Really don't want another foreigner or English journeyman.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like we have Woy for two years so not worth a bet , Greg Dykes says
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised Hoddle isn't there as an outsider.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could have Guardiola, Mourinhou & Ancelloti doing the job together & they would still be shit.

It's the PLAYERS!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Neville would be fantastic. Really don't want another foreigner or English journeyman.

Based on working for Sky?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    We would have won the World Cup by now if Scolari became our manager.
    He's not a miracle worker

Capello had a very good managerial record and look how he did with England.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    You could have Guardiola, Mourinhou & Ancelloti doing the job together & they would still be shit.

It's the PLAYERS!!!

There's a lot of truth in that. The current England squad is dire.

I would hope that either Roy or a new manager would ditch half of them and start giving some new faces a chance. It's time we stopped selecting players based on who they play for and built a team.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's the PLAYERS!!!

There's some truth in this.

We all thought Fabio Capello was a fabulous appointment & we were right to think so as he is one of the best football managers of the last 25 years, but he couldn't get a tune out of the England players.

In fact, even though we lasted longer, we played even worse under him at the last WC Finals.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    It's not the manager that's the problem, it's the players. It's like putting Lewis Hamilton in a Mondeo and asking him to win a Grand Prix.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guardiola would be a bad choice, our players just don't have the skill, creativity & flair that would be needed for him to make it work.

Redknapp wouldn't have money to spend so already a problem.

Neville as he got any experience at managing?

Curbs, Pardew & Pearce oh dear.

Moyes would be sound defensively, but if we go behind that would bugger that plan up.

Mourinho would certainly be the best choice.

AVB may be a good choice, but he would need time to mould a team to his liking.

Personally I would like England to get a Manager in with a long term ambition and mould a squad together, and sorry this bit might upset people, but forget about the Euros (great if we qualify but not to bothered if we don't) concentrate on the next WC.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    In my opinion we would have won the WC by now - or come very close to it - had Terry Venables been allowed to remain as Manager. However, the press clearly had it in for him and, so, it wasn't to be. Water under the bridge of course but it still grates.

One wonders if the media really want us to be realistic contenders.

And I wholeheartedly concur with the initial posts by Peter Venkman and Syntax Error.

Oh, and one other thing:

I recall it being reported that Alf Ramsey said to Geoff Hurst (I think it was) that he was in the England team because of the job he did for his Club!!

My emphasis.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The jobs of managing a club and a country are totally different so it doesn't follow if someone is successful at one then they will be good at another.

You aren't with the players day in, day out. You don't have transfers to worry about. Rather than looking at a time-served manager who wants one final big paid job before retirement then maybe we should be looking for a young talented coach. I'm not sure Gary Neville is the one but someone of his generation.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe not the NEXT one, but would not surprise me to see Beckham as manager within the next ten years.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Chris Waddle for me...he speaks the truth!!!!!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe not the NEXT one, but would not surprise me to see Beckham as manager within the next ten years.

Doubt he could cope with the pay cut.

Although one of the Beckham offspring... maybe.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    The media, and certain sections of fans will turn on every future England manager, whoever he is, the very definition of poisoned chalice.
  • Options
    poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the Liverpool supporters thread they are discussing Reaction to Suarez's performance against England. One poster said that he couldn't care about England, as he is only worried about Liverpool in the prem and champs league. He goes on to say that it is only fans of lower league clubs who support England.

While I am sure that there are fans of prem clubs that do support England, this reaction is at the heart of England's problem. It's not just fans, the top clubs have little or no concern for England's progress, or lack of.

Listening yesterday to Stuart Pearce talking about England's problems and he compared Germany's U21 from 6/7 years ago to ours. 6 of that German team are now fixtures in the their senior team while only Hart is an England regular. At his last U17 tournament, he suffered 20+ withdrawals.

His implication was that these young players are more worried about their clubs than playing for England. The biggest achievement for young English players now seems to be the champions league, not top international football.

A German journalist on the same programme, explained that the Bundesliga teams do work with the German FA to achieve the best for the German national team butthat, by comparison, he felt that the premier league and the English FA were operating in parallel universes.

The formation and unrelenting progress of the premier league, and the massive financial rewards it brings to both players and clubs , has fundamentally changed the structure of English football. The top clubs don't want it to change and that being the case I can see that we will never challenge at top tournaments in my lifetime.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex Ferguson will come out of retirement and lead us to World Cup victory in Russia 2018. That's assuming Putin hasn't declared war on most of Europe by that time. :p