Options

BBC3 - Murdered by my boyfriend

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible choice for a title.

If she was murdered she wouldnt be able to tell her story.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Londongirl.
    His evil face staring out is disturbing to look at, knowing what he did.
    She looked like a lovely girl, and well portrayed by the actress in the programme.

I've got to stop dwelling on this now, it's really got to me.
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was really harrowing and I can only hope by showing it that it makes people think and save other girls from a similar fate.
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Londongirl.
    His evil face staring out is disturbing to look at, knowing what he did.
    She looked like a lovely girl, and well portrayed by the actress in the programme.

I've got to stop dwelling on this now, it's really got to me.

You're welcome. Casey was very pretty. Both of the lead actors were very good.
  • Options
    Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a moving programme but at the same time very upsetting and made me quite angry.

I know it's not a nice thing to say but I really hope this Reece guy got regularly beaten up inside and it was ignored by the guards.
  • Options
    Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very well done drama. You really see how much power & control Reece had over her life as the story went on. Started with little things such as what she was wearing and stuff like that, until he started beating her on a daily basis. I felt really sad for her when she gave up and took him back and was going to marry him too, which would pretty much mean she would endure it for the rest of her life. If only Reece would let it go and not let his obsession of Ashley get the better of him, and maybe he & Ashley would have had a good life for themselves and their daughter.

I'm not going to join others and wish ill on the man in prison right now. I just hope while he's in there that he can find a better path for himself and if he gets out, start afresh and try to right some of the wrongs he has committed. Not an easy thing to say, but better than what others are saying which I find quite equally disgusting.
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this on iPlayer before and it's something that's probably going to stay with me for days. It was just so brutal. My heart sank when I heard her say "I couldn't leave him. Not just because of a single moment", knowing how it was all going to pan out :( I know that the end was horrific, but the part where he just walked into the shop and headbutted her to the floor really rattled me, especially when he kept shouting at her to put her hands down while he was punching her face in.

The whole thing was horrible to watch, but very well played out.
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People on Twitter are saying, why didn't Ashley leave, which is annoying me. I think that, unless, you are in that situation, you don't know how difficult it is to leave.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was so scary and disturbing. Poor girl, I hope her baby is okay.

Hopefully anyone who has seen this will realise that your partner hurting you is unforgivable. If only she had kept walking that first time.... :(
  • Options
    Reiver97Reiver97 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was an incredibly moving, harrowing and thought provoking film. Wasnt expecting much of it, being BBC3, a channel I rarely watch, but caught the start flicking through the channels and I am glad I did.

It really was one of those films that stays with you for some time (hence why I am still thinking about it a day later).

Was pleased to read it will be shown in schools (apparently it was part funded by BBC Learning).

I wonder if this had been made before the decision to axe BBC3, would it have influenced a different outcome? It really made the case for BBC3's demographic orientation.

Anyway, for anyone interested, an interview with the actress here...

http://www.thedebrief.co.uk/2014/06/murdered-by-my-boyfriend-is-the-drama-you-need-to-watch-this-week#.U6oio_ldWUY
  • Options
    oilcatoilcat Posts: 27,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very well done drama. You really see how much power & control Reece had over her life as the story went on. Started with little things such as what she was wearing and stuff like that, until he started beating her on a daily basis. I felt really sad for her when she gave up and took him back and was going to marry him too, which would pretty much mean she would endure it for the rest of her life. If only Reece would let it go and not let his obsession of Ashley get the better of him, and maybe he & Ashley would have had a good life for themselves and their daughter.

I'm not going to join others and wish ill on the man in prison right now. I just hope while he's in there that he can find a better path for himself and if he gets out, start afresh and try to right some of the wrongs he has committed. Not an easy thing to say, but better than what others are saying which I find quite equally disgusting.

Good Post, the first signs I saw of his controlling was when they were in the nightclub with her mates and the strap of her top slipped down he was quick to pull it up.........an innocent gesture maybe but when you consider what went on later, I thought it was significant
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very harrowing this film made me think. Shows how the abusers have power and control over their victims and they feel like they have no where to turn.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Particularly harrowing given the trial of Jayden Parkinsons killer that's running just now. That too, is a horrible story.

We need to start teaching our daughters (and sons) to have the confidence to spot the signs and leave before it gets to that stage of violence. Checking your phone, telling you what to wear, making you feel stupid, clumsy, ugly. THIS IS NOT LOVE. The first time is rarely the last,. They should include showing this in the fourth year curriculum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I actually knew him in real life. You would never have thought this was happening behind closed doors. So sad
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stay wrote: »
    I actually knew him in real life. You would never have thought this was happening behind closed doors. So sad

Her friends seemed to know and her neighbours certainly knew, they called the cops on several occasions. His cousin even phoned the cops when he beat her. Seems to me a helluva lot of people knew what was happening in front of them never mind behind closed doors.
  • Options
    gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

as soon as i see this article i assumed nit was based on this as everything is identical so sad and the show made me very angry and upset sadly this goes on all the time and will continue. the actors did very well.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    Particularly harrowing given the trial of Jayden Parkinsons killer that's running just now. That too, is a horrible story.

We need to start teaching our daughters (and sons) to have the confidence to spot the signs and leave before it gets to that stage of violence. Checking your phone, telling you what to wear, making you feel stupid, clumsy, ugly. THIS IS NOT LOVE. The first time is rarely the last,. They should include showing this in the fourth year curriculum.

A guy at my work was talking about that advert with the Hollyoak's actors in it, saying it was making normal innocent things seem controlling and abusive. He actually thinks it's normal that his wife does all of these things.

He's not a popular guy at work (he's more than a bit of a git to be honest), but we all tried to explain to him that this is not how normal loving relationships work and feel pretty sorry for him really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Very harrowing this film made me think. Shows how the abusers have power and control over their victims and they feel like they have no where to turn.
    duffsdad wrote: »
    Her friends seemed to know and her neighbours certainly knew, they called the cops on several occasions. His cousin even phoned the cops when he beat her. Seems to me a helluva lot of people knew what was happening in front of them never mind behind closed doors.

I meant I would have never guessed from what I saw of him. The shop part was massively exaggerated but obviously still shocking to the core. Her close friends and family obviously knew, but a lot of people had no idea actually.
    Her mum now has her little girl
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So glad this will be shown in schools.

Leaving an abuser is like leaving a cult - they just don't let you go, and have conditioned you to believe that you can't live without them, that you aren't competent without their 'guidance'. A friend of mine has just left her abuser for the seventh time in eight years. Most of what he does is horrible emotional abuse, relentlessly bullying her and taking her money. She is a good, clever person and has children - she was targeted because she thinks the best of people. I hope it lasts. I have tried to explain to her family how helpless she feels, despite never wanting him back. But very little works against the awful mind-control he has spent years practising on her.

The sad truth is that most abuse victims end up isolated because their friends and relatives blame them for their own abuse. They don't understand why the victim can't leave, or why they refuse to press charges. In the end, the victim simply hides the abuse because they can't bear being criticised by their loved ones anymore. If you know someone in such a situation, don't judge them - make sure you are always willing to listen and help, no matter what. The very last thing an abuser wants his/her victim to have is an understanding, supportive friend.
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Anyone have any idea why the follow on documentary to this has been cancelled/postponed?
  • Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it the other night and was left angry by the end, when his 'life sentence' was 15 years, but he got 5 years added on due to the nature of the murder. A whole 5 years. That made my blood boil.
    China Girl wrote: »
    Brilliantly acted by the two leads though.

^This. As a drama/piece of TV it was compelling. The two leads were great and I genuinely felt sorry for her and angry at the guy. Folks like Reece are scum of the lowest form.
  • Options
    chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    This made me angry, but for what I'm sure many would protest as the "wrong" reasons...

That man is an absolute waste-of-life scumbag though, and thoroughly deserves every kind of rough prison-justice he receives at he hands of his fellow inmates.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught the repeat of this tonight....so harrowing and tragic but very well acted. Made me think how awful and helpless friends of domestic abuse victims must feel...I mean they can't force the victim to leave someone. Just really sad.
  • Options
    StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just read that the little girl walked in to the bedroom FOUR TIMES while he was attacking her - the things that poor little girl would have seen it's so upsetting :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reiver97 wrote: »
    Was an incredibly moving, harrowing and thought provoking film. Wasnt expecting much of it, being BBC3, a channel I rarely watch, but caught the start flicking through the channels and I am glad I did.

It really was one of those films that stays with you for some time (hence why I am still thinking about it a day later).

Was pleased to read it will be shown in schools (apparently it was part funded by BBC Learning).

I wonder if this had been made before the decision to axe BBC3, would it have influenced a different outcome? It really made the case for BBC3's demographic orientation.

Anyway, for anyone interested, an interview with the actress here...

http://www.thedebrief.co.uk/2014/06/murdered-by-my-boyfriend-is-the-drama-you-need-to-watch-this-week#.U6oio_ldWUY

How can the person tell the story if they have been murdered? That doesnt really make sense.

No I didnt watch it because for one thing it would irritate the hell out of me so I didnt bother.