Options

Looking for a new printer

im looking for a new printer that does good photos and can print onto cd/dvds

would also be good if it could take compatable inks...

osx and W7

Comments

• Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Epson for cheap cartridges. from ebay or amazon
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    im looking for a new printer that does good photos and can print onto cd/dvds

would also be good if it could take compatable inks...

osx and W7

Price range?
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    We have this one which has £20 cash back from Canon at moment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EVRT96O/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=00N9NTDXBH3WS8BJS9N5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

Photos are good, it will print onto CDs although I haven't tried this. Don't know about compatible ink as I've only used genuine, although the ink seems to last quite well. Had the printer two months and I'm still on the starter cartridges which came with it
  • Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethorp wrote: »
    We have this one which has £20 cash back from Canon at moment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EVRT96O/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=00N9NTDXBH3WS8BJS9N5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

Photos are good, it will print onto CDs although I haven't tried this. Don't know about compatible ink as I've only used genuine, although the ink seems to last quite well. Had the printer two months and I'm still on the starter cartridges which came with it

wow £72 for a set of XL carts http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Yield-PGI-550XL-CLI-551XL-Cartridges/dp/B00DV609SS/ref=pd_sim_computers_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RGRYM8W2K4FGS5VWYSP

I've just bought a HP 'instant ink' compatable all in one printer, photos good quality and buying ink a thing of the past. Doesnt print onto CD's though so probably not for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    paulj48 wrote: »

Yeah it's pricey for a full set (partly as it uses 6 different inks) but individual ones are about a tenner and as I mentioned I'm still on the starter cartridges after 2 months of average use so the XL ones should last a good while
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's pricey for a full set (partly as it uses 6 different inks) but individual ones are about a tenner and as I mentioned I'm still on the starter cartridges after 2 months of average use so the XL ones should last a good while

I pay £1.99 a month for the instant ink and for that price I can print 50 A4 bordeless glossy photos
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pay £1.99 a month for the instant ink and for that price I can print 50 A4 bordeless glossy photos
    How does that work? Do they post cartridges at regular intervals?

(Perhaps one day we'l be able to download them :))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had a glance at the website, from looks of it the printer talks to their servers and tells them when ink is getting low at which point they will send a new cartridge out. The cartridges are coded to only work with the printer that is signed up to the service and the service is available for about 5 models of printer at the moment. Also the cartridges will stop working if the user unsubscribes from the service and the service requires you to guestimate your usage as out of bundle charges are more expensive than in bundle charges.

Sounds like a ghastly way to run a printer to me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a ghastly way to run a printer to me

horses for courses I suppose

I bought the printer from John Lewis for £49.99 with a 2 year warrany, and pay £1.99 a month to print 50 sheet's of what ever I want to print each month. There's no guessing as you can increase and decrease the subscription on a monthly basis and also pay for any extra sheet printed per month anyway.

So for me thats a total outlay of £97.95 for 2 years guarenteed printing of 1200 A4 borderless photos. Hardly ghastly, and I also have the starter cartridges that came with the printer that can be used in just the normal way.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i myself have a canon IP4200, which prints very good photos and is cheap to run with third party ink and print directly onto CD's. Sadly it is not produced anymore the one that seemed to have replaced it is the Canon IP2750 , about £60 or less.

third party ink is available, maybe not as cheap as Epson, but I do prefer canon printers, ink from here, which I always use for my ink.

It is not a all in one printer, just a pure printer. It will replace mine when it goes to printer heaven, which may not be long now going by the noise it is making :) or I may just want a nice new printer with Wi-fi.

Linux could be a problem.
  • Options
    TheRottweilerTheRottweiler Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Any links to particular printers, prices up to around £75 ish

Must be good for pictures
    Must print onto cd/DVD
    Must work with osx and windows
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it works out for some usage especially if you print a lot of ink heavy photos or your usage is predictable. However to say there is no guesswork involved is absolutely wrong. If you are on the £1.99 plan and print 200 pages of documents in a month it will cost you £11.99 that month, the price of an XL cartridge with typically 3 times the printing capacity. Sure you'll be able to change to a more suitable plan like the £7.99 one next month but what if you then go 2 months without printing anything. You've shelled out £14 for naff all.

I'm also not at all convinced by the saving claims on HP's website given the cost of XL cartridges (especially if you shop around) and their quoted page capacity. HP seem to have significantly exaggerated the cost of the ink if you pay for cartridges when compared to the cost of using the service. Yes there may be savings to be made if you have a predictable usage or mainly print photos but the savings are nowhere near as large as the ones quoted by HP
  • Options
    Forum Member

Must print onto cd/DVD

That's my suggestion out then which is £110 after cash back but ticks all your other boxes. Does it need to be an all in one or are you just after the printer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it works out for some usage especially if you print a lot of ink heavy photos

Dont most ink jet users print mainly photo's?

I'd have though any other user would use a laser printer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dont most ink jet users print mainly photo's?

I'd have though any other user would use a laser printer

Yes because most people buy a separate laser printer for documents rather than using just the one inkjet printer that can print anything you throw at it :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Must print onto cd/DVD

The one i posted above, should be ok, here it is in Argos

no scanner, just a printer, i don't go for all in ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes because most people buy a separate laser printer for documents rather than using just the one inkjet printer that can print anything you throw at it :o

some might if they do a lot of text based printing as it would work out cheaper.
    BTW, to the OP, printing a lot of photos by Inkjet or Bubbeljet if it is a canon will be expensive, even with third party ink.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    some might

Some yes but the poster I replied to seemed to be under the mistaken apprehension that it was the norm
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    i myself have a canon IP4200, which prints very good photos and is cheap to run with third party ink and print directly onto CD's. Sadly it is not produced anymore the one that seemed to have replaced it is the Canon IP2750 , about £60 or less.

third party ink is available, maybe not as cheap as Epson, but I do prefer canon printers, ink from here, which I always use for my ink.

It is not a all in one printer, just a pure printer. It will replace mine when it goes to printer heaven, which may not be long now going by the noise it is making :) or I may just want a nice new printer with Wi-fi.

Linux could be a problem.

OP and 'noise747'; hope you find this useful.

After my trusty old Epson died last year I purchased (in a bit of a rush!) a Canon Pixma ip7250;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009D07OVQ/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After being a little disappointed initially, mainly due to the abysmal ‘direct to disc’ print software, it’s turned out to be a very good buy, for me personally. Made all the more attractive by the very reasonable price. I paid £51 inc. delivery, from Amazon.

There is an old version of the ‘direct to disc’ print utility that is still available; similar to Epson cd print software for those familiar. It’s much more versatile that the s/w that’s supplied with the printer.

An English version ( File name: cdlp-win-1_4_2-en.exe ) can be downloaded from:-

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/printers/InkJet/PIXMA_Pro_series/PIXMA_Pro9500_Mark_II.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:13-832450&page=1&type=download

The print quality (photo, docs and CD/DVD), is excellent; photo printing on 240 gsm glossy paper, is far superior to my old Epson. It also has double sided ‘duplex’ print facility (save the Rain Forests!). The ‘fast print’ option really speeds things up. The print quality suffers a little, but for general text docs is perfectly fine. The A4 paper cassette holds (at a guess!) about 150 sheets.

The printer ‘footprint’ is larger than my old chute-fed Epson but it’s not overly big.

As for inks; the original Canon inks lasted ages but I have used compatibles since they ran out and there appears to be no discernible difference in print quality.
    The compatible inks have dropped in price recently and a full-set on Amazon is now just £6.98 inc del.

I run mine ‘wirelessly’ using win7-32 and win7-64 and never had a single print run dip out (or jam).

The printer is not without its issues though; it can take a while to get going sometimes, as it chunters and clunks away, purging/cleaning etc and it needs to be switched off ‘properly’, otherwise it complains the next time you switch it on. However, given the price, I can live with that.

I’ve no idea how the ip7250 handles anything other than Win7 but the advertising blurb quotes “There’s also direct printing of photos, emails, web pages and other documents from Apple devices, such as the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, using Apple AirPrint.”

Don’t expect miracles though; it’s a £50 printer!
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Epson, there is a good range and compatible ink is very cheap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    OP and 'noise747'; hope you find this useful.

After my trusty old Epson died last year I purchased (in a bit of a rush!) a Canon Pixma ip7250;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009D07OVQ/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After being a little disappointed initially, mainly due to the abysmal ‘direct to disc’ print software, it’s turned out to be a very good buy, for me personally. Made all the more attractive by the very reasonable price. I paid £51 inc. delivery, from Amazon.

There is an old version of the ‘direct to disc’ print utility that is still available; similar to Epson cd print software for those familiar. It’s much more versatile that the s/w that’s supplied with the printer.

An English version ( File name: cdlp-win-1_4_2-en.exe ) can be downloaded from:-

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/printers/InkJet/PIXMA_Pro_series/PIXMA_Pro9500_Mark_II.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:13-832450&page=1&type=download

The print quality (photo, docs and CD/DVD), is excellent; photo printing on 240 gsm glossy paper, is far superior to my old Epson. It also has double sided ‘duplex’ print facility (save the Rain Forests!). The ‘fast print’ option really speeds things up. The print quality suffers a little, but for general text docs is perfectly fine. The A4 paper cassette holds (at a guess!) about 150 sheets.

The printer ‘footprint’ is larger than my old chute-fed Epson but it’s not overly big.

As for inks; the original Canon inks lasted ages but I have used compatibles since they ran out and there appears to be no discernible difference in print quality.
    The compatible inks have dropped in price recently and a full-set on Amazon is now just £6.98 inc del.

I run mine ‘wirelessly’ using win7-32 and win7-64 and never had a single print run dip out (or jam).

The printer is not without its issues though; it can take a while to get going sometimes, as it chunters and clunks away, purging/cleaning etc and it needs to be switched off ‘properly’, otherwise it complains the next time you switch it on. However, given the price, I can live with that.

I’ve no idea how the ip7250 handles anything other than Win7 but the advertising blurb quotes “There’s also direct printing of photos, emails, web pages and other documents from Apple devices, such as the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, using Apple AirPrint.”

Don’t expect miracles though; it’s a £50 printer!

Cheers for that.
    My Ip4200 was only a £50 printer and it have been fine for the last 4 years or so, maybe longer. Dead cheap to run with third party ink, not as cheap as Epson maybe, but cheap enough.

i must admit after this thread, I thought maybe it would be nice to have a nice new printer, which was wi-fi and I did reserve a IP7250 at Argos. but i went into town to meet a Mate for coffee before I went to tear his computer apart and he more or less stopped me from spending money for no reason.

The conversation went something like this.

Me: I have reserved a new printer in Argos.
    Nick: your printer not working then?
    Me: My printer is fine, just getting a bit old and making a bit more noise
    Nick: so it is still working fine then?
    Me: yes, it still prints well and cheap to run.
    Nick: so what do this new printer offer?
    Me: Wi-fi, a little bit smaller
    Nick: is it as cheap to run and do you really need wi-fi?
    Me: Hang on lets have a look and see how much third party ink is compared to mine. holy crap they are twice the price of mine and they are not as big.

I used my phone on the nice Wi-fi that All pay provides in town, which is free to me as I am with all pay broadband.

Nick: so do you really need one?

Me: no not really, i don't think I will bother as long as mine is still working.

So I ended up not bothering, It was a bit pricey in Argos anyway.

I like Canon printers, they seem built to last, Epsons seems to be produced cheaply and the last Hp I used fell apart when it was printing.

I will stay with what I have got until it goes belly up and then I will get what ever canon printer is available at the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Epson & Canon both have a few dedicated photo printers of repute on offer. However check the intro. dates before making a decision you don't want to buy a printer that will be obsolete in 6 months time.
    A strong word of advice...if your intention is to keep photo prints long term (years) then avoid compatibles as at worse some go `Yellow` after just 6 months and at best will deteriorate within 4-5 years,
    alternative option is to load your pics on a cd|\dvd so that a fading print can be refreshed at any time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Epson & Canon both have a few dedicated photo printers of repute on offer. However check the intro. dates before making a decision you don't want to buy a printer that will be obsolete in 6 months time.
    A strong word of advice...if your intention is to keep photo prints long term (years) then avoid compatibles as at worse some go `Yellow` after just 6 months and at best will deteriorate within 4-5 years,
    alternative option is to load your pics on a cd|\dvd so that a fading print can be refreshed at any time

If Op wants to keep a photo for years then the Inkjet is not for them. As you said there are photo printers available, which uses the Dye-sublimation thermal transfer process. they use a different way of printing and protects the photo with a varnish.
    The problem with these printers is that they are not cheap to run.

um, just had a look around the net and it seems these printers are around 10p per print, that is certainly cheaper than when i last looked about 5 years back, they was about 30-40p per print then.

Canon makes the Selphy range of them, other manufactures also make their own versions.

They are fine for the odd few photos now and again, but if you want to print a load out then best to use somewhere like boots or one of the online services.

umm, looking at how much the prints are, I may look at getting one of these printers. i will have a better look later when I got some more time, got to get ready for the beer festival.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »

Very sensible, and back up the back ups.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose one good way of guaranteeing that your data is safe (at least from fire etc) would be to get a very high capacity flash drive and then plonk all your important data on that and then carry the flash drive around with you when going out.