Options

Strange Report

TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I love this series with Anthony Quayle as Dr Adam Strange, which suprsingly wasnt an ITC production as was the trend in the 1960's (it was made by a tiny company called Arena) had a fine theme tune composed by Roger Webb, nice to see it being repeated on ITV2. must get around to updating to the dvd boxset

Comments

• Options
    mongositomongosito Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may have been produced by Arena but it was most definitely an ITC product.
    If you look at the credits for many ITC shows,even later episodes of The Saint,you will see that they were often made by companies created purely to make said programmes,but they all were financed by ITC and are owned by ITC(Granada).
    The Saint colour stuff was made by Bamore,co owned by Roger Moore
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mongosito wrote:
    It may have been produced by Arena but it was most definitely an ITC product.
    If you look at the credits for many ITC shows,even later episodes of The Saint,you will see that they were often made by companies created purely to make said programmes,but they all were financed by ITC and are owned by ITC(Granada).
    The Saint colour stuff was made by Bamore,co owned by Roger Moore

Yup indeed it was, he happens to own the rights solely now I beleive, but not however to the earlier series
  • Options
    trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have one episode on DVD (one with John Thaw in it, an extra on a Sweeney DVD)

its ok but suffers from the usual thing i dislike about series of that period, all a bit too cheery and polite and with a few token americans
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trash80 wrote:
    i have one episode on DVD (one with John Thaw in it, an extra on a Sweeney DVD)

its ok but suffers from the usual thing i dislike about series of that period, all a bit too cheery and polite and with a few token americans

thats a good brucie bonus
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    trash80 wrote:

They needed to sell it to the American market
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From an interview with Anneke Wills on the dvd extra disc, it seems Strange Report was actually intended for the US market.
    It was killed in the UK, like so many other good shows, by the lunatic regional network system. It wasn't shown in Yorkshire for example, until long after it was axed. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote:
    From an interview with Anneke Wills on the dvd extra disc, it seems Strange Report was actually intended for the US market.
    It was killed in the UK, like so many other good shows, by the lunatic regional network system. It wasn't shown in Yorkshire for example, until long after it was axed. :cry:

But its still good to know that people like us wont let it get consigned to the TV vaults never to be seen again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But its still good to know that people like us wont let it get consigned to the TV vaults never to be seen again

I had never seen until it was shown on ITV4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VERENCE wrote:

What do you think of it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What do you think of it?

Pretty much par for the course for ITC

Interesting to see Anneke Wills though, as I've never seen her as Polly in Dr Who
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VERENCE wrote:

I'd never heard of it and I thought i knew all of the itv dramas from the 60's.

How come this got shelved and hidden away when Dangerman , The Saint etc. got repeated in the following decades.

I wish itv4 would put it back in it's sunday slot as i miss it at 6pm in the week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mb@2day wrote:
    I'd never heard of it and I thought i knew all of the itv dramas from the 60's.

How come this got shelved and hidden away when Dangerman , The Saint etc. got repeated in the following decades.

I wish itv4 would put it back in it's sunday slot as i miss it at 6pm in the week.

Ah the sweet mystery of ITV4 eh has its own ways & workings :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VERENCE wrote:
    Pretty much par for the course for ITC

Interesting to see Anneke Wills though, as I've never seen her as Polly in Dr Who

Yup but you just gotta dig the theme tune, its groovy (goes back to his catnip :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been mentioned on other boards, usually by me, that it's worth hunting out Gideon's Way on dvd, which is barely remembered and unlikely ever to be shown again because it's b & w.
    Like Strange Report it, shouldn't be allowed to vanish forever (and it's very good, if, obviously, dated). :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote:
    It's been mentioned on other boards, usually by me, that it's worth hunting out Gideon's Way on dvd, which is barely remembered and unlikely ever to be shown again because it's b & w.
    Like Strange Report it, shouldn't be allowed to vanish forever (and it's very good, if, obviously, dated). :cool:

I remember Gideon's Way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote:
    unlikely ever to be shown again because it's b & w.

BBC4 is currently showing the b & w Mrs Peel episodes of The Avengers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VERENCE wrote:
    BBC4 is currently showing the b & w Mrs Peel episodes of The Avengers

Indeed they are and uncut too, but will they shown the Tara King ones (The lovely Linda Thorson PHWOARRRRR)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Indeed they are and uncut too, but will they shown the Tara King ones (The lovely Linda Thorson PHWOARRRRR)

I don't know. For some reason they showed the colour Mrs Peels before the b&w ones

Couple of days ago I saw a programme on the Biography channel about Catwoman and her various incarnations.... to which I only have two words to say...... Julie Newmar!!!!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VERENCE wrote:
    I don't know. For some reason they showed the colour Mrs Peels before the b&w ones

Couple of days ago I saw a programme on the Biography channel about Catwoman and her various incarnations.... to which I only have two words to say...... Julie Newmar!!!!! :D

Reasons could be obtaining the rights to those b/w ones as I think they are owned by Canal + me thinks, oh yes Julie Newmar (MEOW MEOW) better than Eartha Kitt (thought that was a set of garden equipment) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trivia spotting note: the sidekick to Julie Newmar's Catwoman, briefly seen in the docmentary clip, is Leslie Gore, one of my fave female vocalists, whose uncle, Howie Horwitz, was the producer of Batman.
    Like Julie Newmar, she's still going strong and sounds better than ever. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the Avengers are owned by Canal+.
    The Diana Rigg episodes have always been the most popular,especially the inferior colour ones so its no surprise that BBC4 started with those and have not even bought the Tara King stories.
    13 or 14 episodes of Strange Report were also shown by Bravo about 10 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mongosito wrote:
    All the Avengers are owned by Canal+.
    The Diana Rigg episodes have always been the most popular,especially the inferior colour ones so its no surprise that BBC4 started with those and have not even bought the Tara King stories.
    13 or 14 episodes of Strange Report were also shown by Bravo about 10 years ago.

I knew Canal+ had those rights, its amazing how a british institution is owned by the French
  • Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote:

I understand that there was a second series planned and it was to be made in the US, but Quayle wouldn't commit to spending time there as he had commitments/ambitions for theatre work in the UK, so the whole project was axed.

[ He was a distinguished theatre director and actor, serious and big-time]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew Canal+ had those rights, its amazing how a british institution is owned by the French
    They also own what used to be the EMI library which includes accutely British stuff like The Railway Children,The Wicker Man and the first 12 Carry On films
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resurrecting this ancient thread: Mrs Chuff and I are ploughing through Strange Report at the moment, and it's great fun.

It would be easy to dismiss it as a standard glossy crime/adventure series, but it has some quite gritty storylines (racism, nationalism).

The supporting cast features some really outstanding people in quite small roles. John Challis was a one-line extra, a couple of episodes back, and Sally Geeson bravely staggered through despite being lumbered with a dreadful American accent. Doreen Mantle (Mrs Worboys) made her mark, with one scene as a concerned neighbour.

Groovy theme tune, too. Some very striking colour schemes in the set design. Definitely recommended.

Anneke Wills, as usual, has very little to do. Anthony Quayle is solid and dependable. Kaz Garas as the preposterously named Hamlyn Gynt is gorgeous. I wonder what happened to him?!