Steve Backshall and Ola Jordan Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    Fuchsia GroanFuchsia Groan Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    I still want to do harm to Craig

Any way, for a non-dancer, non-actor, non reality-tw-@-t he did remarkably well. :) Something went wrong after the waltz, well... The insider went wrong... But SB never quite got his zest back. Hope he is pleased to be free of the training and free to run amok in his kayak. Watch out river-users :D

Bravo Backshall!!!
    :cool::):cool:
    He did really well, didn't he?

I reckon he's been in a lot of pain you know. His face has that stretched look which I associate with stress and acute physical discomfort.

Can I get my hat out again? :):)
  • Options
    westlifefan123westlifefan123 Posts: 4,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After Monday's ITT, I am saying this right now - I'm not watching the rest of SCD this year at all and I mean that!!!!!!!!!! From Hayley
  • Options
    millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be sending Steve a tweet tomorrow after the results show just to say how proud I am of him for getting this far on SCD :) From Hayley
    Not on Twitter, say Hi from me. Enjoyed his enthusiasm for dance. Will miss his cheeky smile,
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He did really well, didn't he?

I reckon he's been in a lot of pain you know. His face has that stretched look which I associate with stress and acute physical discomfort.

Can I get my hat out again? :):)
    Looks like he could do with a good meal and some fresh air... And stinky old clothes for days on end :D

He's bound to have been feeling it this week in particular, but he's looked drawn for a while. I thought the ITT before the Charleston he looked ill... Amoebic dysentry in Jakarta has nothing on Strictly ;-)

Just like it was win, win for Steve, it's the same for us I think... I prefer him in filth to sequins :p

Shame he had to do that dance, of all dances, twice :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    millysshaw wrote: »
    Not on Twitter, say Hi from me. Enjoyed his enthusiasm for dance. Will miss his cheeky smile,
    I'd already tweeted and then had to run back to delete it after reading Hayley's 'after the results show' comment in case somehow my tweet was a spoiler... Oops! Still unsure how twitter works
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    millysshaw wrote: »
    I will do milly - hope the judges esp. Craig won't be horrible towards him tomorrow night when it comes to the DO or I really will be annoyed :z From Hayley
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thought... How many of the male celebs would have stood so comfortably up in the air with those cheer leaders if suddenly hoisted up there? :cool: Looked for all the world like heights and balance don't bother him :)

Mind, Asgard was bigger...

ie bugger the spoiler convo :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah you're right Monkey - I'm so pleased that Steve got his best score last week in Blackpool for his AS and I am extra pleased that he got his highest Latin score for his favourite dance - the Paso Doble :)

From Hayley
  • Options
    KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although not an unexpected result, I feel very upset on Steve's behalf for being humiliated. I too could see the pain in him recently and some inner happiness and enjoyment had faded. Part of him will, I feel, be relieved. I hope the dancing, particularly this week, has done no further lasting damage to his ankle. As he himself wanted another week to do a ballroom dance, I wished for that too, but I think he'd have been eliminated next week anyway. THEY were out to get him. They succeeded. I'm glad that he's out of such a manipulated dishonest programme. He can now go back to honest, innocent animals and immerse himself in the earth's beauty and wonder. I hope he finds an unspoilt natural woman to love very soon and that she loves him for all that he is. I hope they have children and many pets and live in harmony. Goodnight everybody. Korky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayley, I don't know if you'll have read the thing said by the BBC wildlife cameraman recently at an awards ceremony. He was despairing at the fact that they can make amaaaaazing wildlife documentaries that people love but it doesn't actually do anything in terms of raising conservation issues... You need a twitter presence, social media, more of a buzz, he was saying...

I am beyond pleased that SB being on Strictly may just give him a voice to bridge that gap. He does with kids certainly...

Clouds, what clouds? There are ONLY silver linings :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Looks like he could do with a good meal and some fresh air... And stinky old clothes for days on end :D

He's bound to have been feeling it this week in particular, but he's looked drawn for a while. I thought the ITT before the Charleston he looked ill... Amoebic dysentry in Jakarta has nothing on Strictly ;-)

Just like it was win, win for Steve, it's the same for us I think... I prefer him in filth to sequins :p

Shame he had to do that dance, of all dances, twice :(
    Yes Steve looks like he could do with some r&r which for him probably means slogging through muddy jungles looking for snakes or terrorising the river dwellers in his kyak. And yes it is win/win. Much as I'll miss him I massively prefer him in filthy combats than all groomed and sparkly. And he won't have to be in constant pain which can only be a positive.

I'm very proud and impressed by everything he has achieved on the show and hope he goes on to even greater things.

The offer to hold Craig down while he is covered in bullet ants still stands.😁

On a purely selfish note what the hell am I going to obsess over now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayley, I don't know if you'll have read the thing said by the BBC wildlife cameraman recently at an awards ceremony. He was despairing at the fact that they can make amaaaaazing wildlife documentaries that people love but it doesn't actually do anything in terms of raising conservation issues... You need a twitter presence, social media, more of a buzz, he was saying...

I am beyond pleased that SB being on Strictly may just give him a voice to bridge that gap. He does with kids certainly...

Clouds, what clouds? There are ONLY silver linings :)

I think Steve being on Strictly will definitely give him a voice to raise conservation issues - like I said in a spoiler tweet earlier, after tomorrow night's results show and Monday's ITT I am not watching the rest of this year's SCD and I mean that!!!!! From Hayley
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Where are people going to transfer their allegiances now? Sunetra, Simon and Jake are my favourites of the ones left. I like Sunetra but think I will probably vote for Jake as he has the best chance of being the bot/reality tv slayer. I don't want a ringah to win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are people going to transfer their allegiances now? Sunetra, Simon and Jake are my favourites of the ones left. I like Sunetra but think I will probably vote for Jake as he has the best chance of being the bot/reality tv slayer. I don't want a ringah to win.
    I'm not watching SCD any more after tomorrow night's results show so this is not something that is crossing my mind at the moment, sorry. From Hayley
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is everyone? :( From Hayley
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is everyone? :( From Hayley

It's always like this on Saturday night :)
    I think people will be talkative again when there's no need of spoiler bars
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    just dropping some booze and chocolate off as consolation :(
    very sad to see Steve go was my favourite by miles really embodied the spirit of the show
    by the way thank you all for allowing me in to your little oasis i do enjoy popping in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    just dropping some booze and chocolate off as consolation :(
    very sad to see Steve go was my favourite by miles really embodied the spirit of the show
    by the way thank you all for allowing me in to your little oasis i do enjoy popping in
    Who'd have thought strange and clever planets was so luvverly?

I was coping. Now you made me cry
    :D

I think he embodied the spirit of the show we'd like SCD to be, but it's his spirit everywhere, thank goodness
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Who'd have thought strange and clever planets was so luvverly?

I was coping. Now you made me cry
    :D

I think he embodied the spirit of the show we'd like SCD to be, but it's his spirit everywhere, thank goodness
    awh :blush::blush: i would say i was made speechless by the kind compliment buuuuuuut....
    the BIB: yes exactly so! i am holding on to the silver lining that at least he is free *theme from Born Free starts playing* and he is no longer caught in between JJ and his producer grudge (James Jordan and his Jolly Big Grudge is a recently found, hitherto unknown, masterpiece by Roald Dahl, soon to be published by Puffin Books - Steve's favourite publishers...;) )
    i hope by the time you all wake up and read this you are feeling a bit better .....the cakes are on me ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Planets for all you've said. I've cried a lot - and I'm not a crying sort of person. I cried because Steve's a wholesome caring man plunged into a very corrupt and back-stabbing backbiting world; also seeing him trying to hold his habitual smile while being unfairly criticised by the likes of the producers' mouthpieces. It made my whole body ache. I've a feeling that this whole sequinned side of showbiz will seem like a dream to him by the new year. Now he can go back into the natural world, in more senses than one. I long to hear in time (soon) that he's a Daddy because he'll find another level of happiness that a baby/child will bring. He'll discover yet another new world, innocent and unsophisticated and wondrous, and teach his son or daughter the real values of the world...planet...universe...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Thank you Planets for all you've said. I've cried a lot - and I'm not a crying sort of person. I cried because Steve's a wholesome caring man plunged into a very corrupt and back-stabbing backbiting world; also seeing him trying to hold his habitual smile while being unfairly criticised by the likes of the producers' mouthpieces. It made my whole body ache. I've a feeling that this whole sequinned side of showbiz will seem like a dream to him by the new year. Now he can go back into the natural world, in more senses than one. I long to hear in time (soon) that he's a Daddy because he'll find another level of happiness that a baby/child will bring. He'll discover yet another new world, innocent and unsophisticated and wondrous, and teach his son or daughter the real values of the world...planet...universe...
    Wow Korky there's not a lot I can add to that other than to agree with you wholeheartedly. I feel Steve handled the whole s***storm of reality TV fakeness and dirt slinging with absolute grace and dignity always refusing to stoop to their level. And yes it was hard at times to watch him try to hang on to that beautiful smile throughout it all. My respect and admiration for him has grown massively as a result and it was pretty high before!

I hope he finds everything he is looking for.😊

I cried too and I don't do crying either. 😢 There's just something about Steve.... ❤
  • Options
    CallmepitstopCallmepitstop Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of girded myself for that spoiler moment, so at present I am just numb. My votes will go to Jake.

In a way, like everyone else, I am glad that Steve took the opportunity to do SCD, because it has made him a household name for the rest of his career, and has given him the chance - as Monkey said earlier - to be a VOICE for wildlife everywhere. And that's something that is badly needed on this earth today.

Although I am sad and angry at the blatant manipulation by both the producers and judges this series, and incandescent with fury over the whole insider-bullying-JJ issue, I am happy for Steve to shake the sparkly Strictly dust from his feet and head out into his wilderness home once more. I shall miss his enthusiasm and sincerity so much :cry:(not to mention his luvverly bod :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::p)
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I cried last night and I feel like crying again reading all your lovely posts. I knew in my gut it was going to be his last dance this week, there were so many elements stacked against them, but I still hoped... I don't know if I can watch the results show and worry that he's in pain when he hasn't a chance.

I hope there was nothing in the news stories and they'll drop now and there will be no sour note to spoil Steve's leaving on the results show or ITT on what might be Ola's last series. That's my main hope now. I'm a bit nervous that Steve is sometimes too honest or James will flare up - hope not. But if there has been any tension, I don't judge either of them for it, it's a very pressured situation, and I bet there are tensions between loads of them who get more protection.

Thank you to everyone on here. Steve, Ola and you lovely people have been the best thing about Strictly for me this year. You've all said it better than I can, but I hope this will lead to brilliant brilliant things for Steve where he belongs doing the work he loves and excels at. And I hope there will good things ahead for Ola too, whether she's back next year or not. And I've enjoyed this thread probably more than the show! :):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd post a picture of Steve doing one of the things he loves most. :):o:)

http://www.josarsby.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Vanity-Fair-On-Time-2014-Steve-Backshall-Portfolio.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The results show is going to be hard for me to watch tonight and I know, that by the end of it all, I will be a crying mess because Steve has gone - Steve has made SCD fun for me to watch this year and now with him gone, I won't be watching this series any more. From Hayley