Options

OCD driving me mad today :( Reassurance?

mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have OCD, usually i'm ok but then something will happen which sets me off again and keeps me constantly worrying, likes last night:(

Our toilet blocked up so we had to call a plumber. Before he got here i cleaned the toilet and put some bleach down it and flushed.

Then when he was here I made myself scarce, my husband said he just put this "big rod type plunger thing" down the loo, shoved it once and that was it.

The thing that's driving my OCD mad is the fact that he just carried this "Tool" out of the house, and i'm worrying about "Drippage" from the toilet.

I've cleaned the bathroom floor but theres nothing i can do about the carpet on the stairs.
I've been walking on there in barefeet before my ocd kicked in, and now i'm too scared to put my feet up on the sofa, and i'm worrying about the bed sheets, and that i've got all nasty toilet germs on my feet and around the house.

Can someone please reassure me? I just keep telling myself that because i bleached the toilet about 5 mins before he got here then it should be ok, but i'm not sure bleach would reach in the U bend since the loo was blocked.

I'm driving myself (and the hubby) mad:(

thank you

Comments

• Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reassurance coming up: the chances are that the plumber took great care not to drip anywhere, even if he did then the minute drips will be totally safe.

Have a nice day. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also he needs it clean for the next time
    they tend to use a bit of loo paper to dry it off then spray it with a chemical out in the Van. the bit of loo paper used to make sure the toilet is flushing okay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I'm sure he wouldn't walk through a customer's house dripping stuff from the toilet. He would soon lose customers if he did that. He will have dried it off in the bathroom first. I would say you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Now relax!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    I'd be more concerned about the dogs mess he probably trod in just prior to entering your house.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be more concerned about the dogs mess he probably trod in just prior to entering your house.
    Ignore this comment.
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a true diagnosis of OCD you need treatment. Apologies if you are already having treatment, but it's really important that you get it if you aren't.

http://www.ocduk.org/

If you have OCD you don't need reassurance, as this is just another way of feeding your compulsions. There are cures out there, go for it.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes wonder if learning the facts about germs would help OCD suffers or just send them into a even further panic.

The fact is that there are probably thousands of times more 'germs' on your face then there are in a toilet. They are everywhere; in the air you breath, the food you eat, your kids hands. You can never ever get rid of them - however the vast majority of them will no you no harm and the few that can will just give you a upset stomach.

I know that phobias aren't logical, and that OCD is a real condition that needs professional help. But I sometimes can't help but wonder what it is that people are afraid off. What is the worse case scenario? You get a bit sick, you get given medicine, you're cured.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    If you have a true diagnosis of OCD you need treatment. Apologies if you are already having treatment, but it's really important that you get it if you aren't.

http://www.ocduk.org/

If you have OCD you don't need reassurance, as this is just another way of feeding your compulsions. There are cures out there, go for it.

I'm on CItalopram for anxiety, but it's also used to treat OCD too.

Sometimes I think it's common sense to be concerned about things, but it's when i start obsessing and losing sleep that I know it's gone too far, so i'm trying to reign it in.

A few years ago it got to the point where it would take me 40 minutes to made 1 sandwich, it was when i counted myself washing my hands 19 times just to make a sandwich that I knew it had gone too far, my hands were all cut from the soap just eating away at my skin, the next day i cut it down to washing my hands twice, and now I just do it omce.

I do have the will power to tell my OCD to just "F off" but like i said in my original post, i'll be doing really well then 1 little thing can mess it up again.

Thank you all again x
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    I'm on CItalopram for anxiety, but it's also used to treat OCD too.

Sometimes I think it's common sense to be concerned about things, but it's when i start obsessing and losing sleep that I know it's gone too far, so i'm trying to reign it in.

A few years ago it got to the point where it would take me 40 minutes to made 1 sandwich, it was when i counted myself washing my hands 19 times just to make a sandwich that I knew it had gone too far, my hands were all cut from the soap just eating away at my skin, the next day i cut it down to washing my hands twice, and now I just do it omce.

I do have the will power to tell my OCD to just "F off" but like i said in my original post, i'll be doing really well then 1 little thing can mess it up again.

Thank you all again x

Have you been referred for cognitive behavioural therapy? It's recognised as the best treatment for OCD.
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you remembered to check the toilet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part of the treatment for OCD is that you learn to gain reassurance from yourself and not others. I would discourage others from continuing to answer the OP questions about cleanliness, she knows where to go when she needs help and it should only be those involved directly in her care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again guys.

It's got to the point now where I know there's no point worrying, worrying doesn't change anything so i'm kind of over it now.

Like I said before, I usually have a day or 2 of constant obsessing before I just say Enough is enough and snap out of it.