Humax fox hdr t2 BBC three hd recording problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
Forum Member
Anybody got problems recording on BBC three hd because every time i record on that channel it fails says only recored 30 seconds of it all my other channels record okay.

Comments

• Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wwecobra wrote: »
    Anybody got problems recording on BBC three hd because every time i record on that channel it fails says only recored 30 seconds of it all my other channels record okay.
    There are a lot of reports around about recording problems on BBC3 HD and BBC4 HD. It isn't clear where the problem lies but I wouldn't be surprised if a software fix from Humax was needed.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Apparently it will have been recorded but one of the accompanying files used by the PVR for playback navigation is corrupt.
    If you have the means to transfer the .TS file to a PC it will play there, or delete the .HMT file from the PVR, that will then play it but without navigation facilities.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »
    Apparently it will have been recorded but one of the accompanying files used by the PVR for playback navigation is corrupt.
    If you have the means to transfer the .TS file to a PC it will play there, or delete the .HMT file from the PVR, that will then play it but without navigation facilities.

The .nts file contains the navigation data, which has also to be deleted. It is 0 bytes in length on a failed recording. The .hmt contains programme info not navigation data.

This only works if the box has auto-decrypt installed from the CF and the .ts has been de-crypted. Deleting the .hmt and .nts when the file is encrypted doesn't work.

If you have the CF installed and autodecrypt enabled, it ought to be possible to download the .ts to a PC, replace the aac audio with ac3.

AV2HDR-T2 should then be able to create new .nts and .htm files.

Humax are aware of the issue, it looks very similar to the problem found in recording the Olympic HD streams.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had this problem with BBC Three, as the recorder is OK on everything else, including recording the Friday film review from BBC News HD on com7, the problem must be at the BBC's play out facilities not with the Humax.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having tested TVonics and Echostar HD PVRs, which record BBC 3 and 4 HD correctly, it would seem that there IS a problem with the Humax
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudge wrote: »
    Having tested TVonics and Echostar HD PVRs, which record BBC 3 and 4 HD correctly, it would seem that there IS a problem with the Humax

I agree, the sidecar files used by Humax recorders are afaik unique to the brand. The problem is clearly down to the failure to produce .nts navigation files. It's very similar to the failure to record the Olympics HD Streams on the Freesat box (also unique to Humax). This was resolved by a very quick OTA firmware update (this could easily explain why the freesat boxes are not affected).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cancelled delivery of the Fox HDR from Humax Direct due to this issue and explicitly told them by email and phone that this is why I cancelled, so hopefully they will take action, but having seen issues with two older Humax boxes which were never corrected even though Humax were fully aware of them, I bought something else instead.
  • MartinOnlineMartinOnline Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    All PVRs have undesigned limitations and software side-effects. If you read the forums you will find out what they are.

Over the last 3 nights my HDR Fox-T2 and HD Fox-T2 have successfully recorded both BBC3HD and BBC4HD programmes after a number of failures. I am continuing to record in the hope that I can learn more.

Martin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hand That Rocked The Cradle failed to record last night on both a HDR FOX T2 and HD FOX T2.
  • MartinOnlineMartinOnline Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I'm testing with series recordings of Family Guy on BBC3HD and The Bridge on BBC4HD.

Both my HDR Fox-T2 and my HD Fox-T2 recorded successfully, again, last night.

Martin
  • TimA-CTimA-C Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Haven't done many BBC3 HD recordings yet but haven't had any problems on my HDR Fox-T2. Sadly not in an area that can get BBC4 HD so can't comment on that. :(
  • meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After my first two recordings on these new HD channels failed my next thought was to find out if instant recording would work. Instant record from the guide failed (it would record, but recorded nothing apparently) so I switched over to the channel and hit the record button from there. I recorded for a minute or two and this time it worked. I then tried to make a timer recording from the guide. Again this was successful, so I have gone through the same procedure with all the new HD channels. It's as though you need to teach the Humax how to record them! I don't know if this is a permanent solution because I haven't made many recordings, but it looks promising.
  • BrolacBrolac Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Haven't had occassion to record from BBC3HD before, but since the Indiana films were shown recently I decided to rec them.
    They didn't record and as the OP stated under 30 seconds etc, deleted what was there and noticed instead of a second or so deletion time the Humy took as long as it would to deleted 3 or 4 gig per film.
    I take it the recordings were there, and as someone said above some sort of decryption was not successful?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brolac wrote: »
    I take it the recordings were there, and as someone said above some sort of decryption was not successful?
    The file containing the recording (the .ts file) will be present and correct. However there is some sort of problem preventing another of the files that is required for normal playback (the .nts file) from being created and it is this which is preventing playback.
    Forum Member
    Funny that as all the other HD channels record OK, this would appear to be a transmission problem unique to the new BBC 3 HD channel?

(Don't know about recording from BBC4HD yet personally)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny that as all the other HD channels record OK, this would appear to be a transmission problem unique to the new BBC 3 HD channel?
    Yes; clearly something is different about the meta data associated with the failed recordings. If whatever change that has been made complies with the relevant standards then it will be down to Humax to fix the problem with a software update.
    Forum Member
    let's hope it's sometime soon then.

Thanks Martin
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

(Don't know about recording from BBC4HD yet personally)

CBBC HD also has the problem.
    It may also be a problem with CBeebies HD. I don't receive that channel and so cannot confirm. I'm keeping an eye out for any reportsts that are upset about the HDR-FOX T2 failing to record CBeebies in HD.
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    CBBC HD also has the problem.
    It may also be a problem with CBeebies HD. I don't receive that channel and so cannot confirm. I'm keeping an eye out for any reportsts that are upset about the HDR-FOX T2 failing to record CBeebies in HD.

OK didn't know that as it's not a channel I use.As an experiment I've set to record Blue Peter on there so I'll let you know how that went shortly.
    Forum Member
    CBBC HD recorded OK for me.
    Forum Member
    Just to confirm meltcity's post (13), manual recordings work ok
  • WendoleneWendolene Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    As previously mentioned, this issue is now widely reported. I too suffer from it.

It is worth mentioning , I think, that it can be sporadic.

I have been able to make SEVERAL good, playable recordings on BBC Three & Four HD lulling me into a false sense of security. Subsequent recording can fail!!

It appears very random, for me at least. I don't really record much on BBC Three/Four anyway. As point of fact I have recorded more just to see if they fail, DOH!

It is not clear, AFAIK, what is causing the issue yet, but the generation of a zero bit side-car file (.nts) appears to be the culprit. Why it has a file size of zero is a mystery.

There is a work-a-round to get the 'failed' recordings to play, however.

Does the fault lie with the broadcaster or Humax? No one has 'put their hand up' to own up yet!

It certainly would not stop me buying a new Humax HDR, (not that I am likely to as I already have three), as you can still record from the SD programme variants.
  • Richard TaylorRichard Taylor Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "widely reported" - apart from this thread and one on uk.digital-tv where else?

Is it just the Humax Foxsat HDR or other Freesat or Freeview STBs?

Richard
  • WendoleneWendolene Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    On Hummy.tv and myhumax.org.

Forums that are dedicated to Humax products.

Also mentioned on AVForums....
  • Richard TaylorRichard Taylor Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ta!!

Interested in gleaning as much as I can.