Options

New Tesco Custard Cream Spread

Little Miss KatLittle Miss Kat Posts: 226
Forum Member
Has anyone tried the new Custard Cream spread from Tesco? It really does taste like custard cream biscuits but I did find the texture a bit too gloopy and runny for a spread.

http://grocerygems.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/new-tesco-custard-cream-biscuit-spread.html

There's also a Bourbon Biscuit Spread version available. I might give that one a try but I don't think it could beat Nutella :)

Comments

• Options
    boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Custard Creams are my favourite thing. Ever. In spread form, though? Sounds revolting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lol it does taste a bit like liquidised custard cream biscuits. Although it worked well for the Dutch Speculoos biscuit spread - that's gorgeous.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a jar of the Bourbon one a couple of days ago........:D

It's alright, more generic 'chocolate' flavour than specifically Bourbon but it does have a hint of the biscuit !

I'd like to try the Custard Cream one

(I've recently discovered Rice Cakes and I'm trying all the spreads on them)

A really good one is Lotus Biscoff Spread from Sainsburys........it's a 'Caramel Biscuit' spread
  • Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yikes! Looks like diabetes in a jar. I find cc's sickly enough as it is.
    For any overseas readers not familiar with custard cream biscuits, they are golden biscuits filled with a creamy vanilla flavoured layer. In 2007 they were named Britain's favourite biscuit by 9 out of 10 people asked!
    I call bullshit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bluefb wrote: »

I call bullshit.

I thought that was a surprising result too. The survery is mentioned here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6966747.stm
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    It does sound very sweet and I'm not sure what I would do with it?

I am surprised too that the custard cream was voted Britain's favourite biscuit, I know that it is obviously popular but I would have thought that Hob-Nobs or chocolate digestive would have won.

Has anyone ever tried the giant Custard Cream? I think they have them in Costa Coffee I've only had one once and it was very yummy a sort of cross between a biscuit and a cake (either that or the biscuit had gone soft! :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    It does sound very sweet and I'm not sure what I would do with it?

I am surprised too that the custard cream was voted Britain's favourite biscuit, I know that it is obviously popular but I would have thought that Hob-Nobs or chocolate digestive would have won.

Has anyone ever tried the giant Custard Cream? I think they have them in Costa Coffee I've only had one once and it was very yummy a sort of cross between a biscuit and a cake (either that or the biscuit had gone soft! :D)

Yes I've had one of those giant Custard Creams! They were very good, but then, I am one of those people that loves Custard Creams. They did giant Bourbon Biscuits too.
  • Options
    boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to buy a jar today. I will report back :-D
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it have a 'nutty' taste to it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mythica wrote: »
    Does it have a 'nutty' taste to it?

No, it's doesn't have nuts in it and there is no nutty flavour.. It just has a biscuity creamy flavour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's doesn't have nuts in it and there is no nutty flavour.. It just has a biscuity creamy flavour.

As far as I'm aware, it has hazelnuts listed in the ingredients.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,926
    Forum Member

I call bullshit.

Perhaps do a simple google search next time before you post a reply.
  • Options
    petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a product called Biscuit Butter at the BBC Good Food Show a couple of weeks ago. I think it's probably the same as the Lotus stuff, but it's bloomin lovely!! Not sure I'd like the custard cream stuff though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mythica wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, it has hazelnuts listed in the ingredients.

Apologies you're absolutely right, it does have hazelnuts listed in the ingredients. I should have said it doesn't have a nutty taste at all. Not to me anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    petral_gal wrote: »
    I bought a product called Biscuit Butter at the BBC Good Food Show a couple of weeks ago. I think it's probably the same as the Lotus stuff, but it's bloomin lovely!! Not sure I'd like the custard cream stuff though.

Was it this one? http://grocerygems.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/belgian-biscuit-butter.html

It's very similar to the Lotus spread as they're both made with speculoos biscuits. I agree it's delicious :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies you're absolutely right, it does have hazelnuts listed in the ingredients. I should have said it doesn't have a nutty taste at all. Not to me anyway.

That's good to know. I put it back on the shelf because I thought it might have a nutty taste. Most chocolate spreads these days have hazelnuts in :(
  • Options
    petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it this one? http://grocerygems.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/belgian-biscuit-butter.html

It's very similar to the Lotus spread as they're both made with speculoos biscuits. I agree it's delicious :)

Yep, that's the very one - except I got the crunchy one. I've just been spooning it out the jar but I had some on a warm pancake today (and then mixed some into the pancake batter) and it was superb!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got a jar of Custard Cream Spread today but I'm determined not to open it yet as I already have 4 open jars of different spreads.......Bourbon Spread, Lotus Biscuit Spread, Peanut Butter and Honey

I think I should wait till I've finished at least 3 of them until I open any more......:o

By the way I popped into a Planet Earth Health Food Shop today to get Bran and had a look round.......there were lots of jars of all kinds of spread including a lot of Nut Butters like Almond Nut Butter which sounded delicious......
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Almond butter and cashew butter are both better than peanut butter

The nut butter market is growing exponentially!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps do a simple google search next time before you post a reply.
    Perhaps do a simple Google search on manners before you next post one. And my instincts were affirmed; a thinly-disguised ad for a biscuit manufacturer is bullshit.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Perhaps do a simple Google search on manners before you next post one. And my instincts were affirmed; a thinly-disguised ad for a biscuit manufacturer is bullshit.

I like that manners are being preached by someone swearing (twice) on a family forum.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,926
    Forum Member
    Saigo wrote: »
    I like that manners are being preached by someone swearing (twice) on a family forum.

Touche.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    Would "family forum" by any chance be a description you've fabricated out of thin air, bearing no relation to DS's stated remit? Excuse me while I refrain from using my favourite word a third time. If you or your family are offended by that word, I suggest you find a forum that doesn't freely allow its usage.

I like that someone equates bad manners with innocuous descriptive nouns over snarky and unprovoked attacks. And if you'll excuse me a little detective work, I also like that someone who felt inclined to chip in with a complaint about swearing described someone as a "tit" on here a few weeks ago. Think of the children! :o
    Touche.
    Threeche.