Family Tree BBC2

Comments

• Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught episode two and again really enjoyed it. The race at the end reminded me of Python a bit (compliment) and yeah, bipeds are always going to have an advantage over "fourpeds"!

Another funny disastrous date too. I'm liking this series. :)
  • Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Monkey was the star tonight.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Monkey made me turn off.

It was sooo much better last week with minimal Nina Conti
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkey was the star tonight.

I quite agree, I thought the scene at the Greek wedding when Monkey went off on one about the financial situation and the number of suicides was absolute joy. Also his and Nina's debriefing afterwards when they agreed they had been rubbish and Monkey said, so plaintively, that he wanted a drink. So clever.
    (Now take cover for the predictable outpouring of abuse against Nina and Monkey.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I'll just copy and post my angry FB status:

"Seriously, Chris O'Dowd? There was absolutely no reason for your terrible, broken American accent in Girls, and yet, in Family Tree your entire family is some kind of English and yet you've just got a random thick Irish accent there. Something we all have, growing up in the south..."

In relation to that, am I missing something (which is highly likely as I've watched about five minutes), is this some kind of set up to a joke (given that it's about family trees, is he adopted?), or is this just an oversight? I mean, we know Chris O'Dowd can do a passable English accent (better than his aforementioned Girls performance anyway) from The Crimson Petal and the White....

God I need employment. I'm turning into the person I always mocked :(

EDIT: Okay, just realised that I paused the episode after not really paying attention to the Mum that much (only saw her for like five seconds when I paused to have the rant). Thought she was Jane Horrocks putting on one of her voices, seems she really isn't.

I'll leave this post for people to laugh at my stupidity, but I think I've answered my own question with 'Start being more observant' and 'Stop coming to conclusions before watching the entire damn thing'.

I'll be back in like an hour and a half. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Awful. Shows up Nina Conti's small talent footprint if she has to have a fictional character doing what she does in the real world.

I see it more as a platform for her ventriloquism. She's quite capable of acting without her puppets (see the piano episode of Black Books), I genuinely think she gets a lot of joy from using her puppets.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LadySponge wrote: »
    .............. I genuinely think she gets a lot of joy from using her puppets.

She probably gets a lot more joy from opening the pay packets she does little to deserve.

I wonder how far she'd have got if her surname hadn't been Conti?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thought it was the poorest episode so far. The best part was in the house with the old woman.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puppets? It's her puppies I want to see.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'll just copy and post my angry FB status:

"Seriously, Chris O'Dowd? There was absolutely no reason for your terrible, broken American accent in Girls, and yet, in Family Tree your entire family is some kind of English and yet you've just got a random thick Irish accent there. Something we all have, growing up in the south..."

In relation to that, am I missing something (which is highly likely as I've watched about five minutes), is this some kind of set up to a joke (given that it's about family trees, is he adopted?), or is this just an oversight? I mean, we know Chris O'Dowd can do a passable English accent (better than his aforementioned Girls performance anyway) from The Crimson Petal and the White....

God I need employment. I'm turning into the person I always mocked :(

EDIT: Okay, just realised that I paused the episode after not really paying attention to the Mum that much (only saw her for like five seconds when I paused to have the rant). Thought she was Jane Horrocks putting on one of her voices, seems she really isn't.

I'll leave this post for people to laugh at my stupidity, but I think I've answered my own question with 'Start being more observant' and 'Stop coming to conclusions before watching the entire damn thing'.

I'll be back in like an hour and a half. :o

His father's wife is his (i.e. Tom's) stepmother. His parents split up when he and Bea were kids and Bea stayed with their father in England while their mother went back to her native Ireland taking Tom with her. They explained this in episode 1.
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    She probably gets a lot more joy from opening the pay packets she does little to deserve.

I wonder how far she'd have got if her surname hadn't been Conti?

I think you need to see the excellent "Her Master's Voice" to learn a little more about her. More than spurious supposition, anyhow.
    Forum Member
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I see it more as a platform for her ventriloquism. She's quite capable of acting without her puppets (see the piano episode of Black Books), I genuinely think she gets a lot of joy from using her puppets.

As explained earlier in the thread, part was created for her by Guest.

Why can't some people on here simply find someone unfunny and leave it at that, without the sly (usually spurious) digs.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nina and Monkey made this episode!

I liked the interview for the children's party more than the wedding, but both were good.

The person I could do with a lot less of is the friend (the one that lost the boxing with the kid). I found him very irritating this week, although last week I thought he was ok as the front end of the donkey.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laughing lots at this show. Really good fun. Bea and Monkey are a treat to see, but I like the whole set up. The date with the bone-fetishist, the panda running along the racetrack, the shotputt ball and bottled beer ... lots of laughs.

Also it's nice to see familiar faces from yesteryear ... Guy Siner and Dudley Sutton among them. :)

Enjoying this series a lot.
    Forum Member
    As I had to rescue this from Page 7, I guess everyone else has given up?

The last episode was the best so far aside from the annoying and unamusing Brent-channelling mate (who is only funny when being beaten up by a 13-year-old).
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont get the best mate - he's either a waste of a character or a pretty poor actor/improvisor.

Otherwise I love it!
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    I dont get the best mate - he's either a waste of a character or a pretty poor actor/improvisor.

Otherwise I love it!

Couldn't agree more, he makes me itch every time he appears on screen. How could the writers get it so wrong or is it the casting? Ditch him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was the worst episode so far. And how on earth will he (Tom) afford the trip to California when he is out of work?
    Forum Member
    As I had to rescue this from Page 7, I guess everyone else has given up?

The last episode was the best so far aside from the annoying and unamusing Brent-channelling mate (who is only funny when being beaten up by a 13-year-old).

I'm still downloading it, I'm in a bit of a Third Watch jag, so I'm behind on most programs.
    Threads going virtually silent after week one or two seems to be normal around here.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people have such a down on Tom's mate? I find him really funny.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Why do people have such a down on Tom's mate? I find him really funny.
    Apparently some people think he's doing a Ricky Gervais impersonation. Probably the same people who think that Andy Parsons is doing a Griff Rhys Jones impersonation.

I don't mind the character or actor. So what if he sounds a bit like Ricky Gervais. It's not out of the ordinary for two people to sounds a little bit like another.

Saying that, I didn't think much of the last episode. It's been going downhill.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Apparently some people think he's doing a Ricky Gervais impersonation. Probably the same people who think that Andy Parsons is doing a Griff Rhys Jones impersonation.

I don't mind the character or actor. So what if he sounds a bit like Ricky Gervais. It's not out of the ordinary for two people to sounds a little bit like another.

BIB that is a new one to me.
    Now I think about it, I can see the similarity's in the way they speak, the pauses in sentences and the changes of inflection and speed.
    Wouldn't call it an impersonation though.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

No, I just find the character very unfunny.

I know other people find Conti and monkey annoying, and she isn't impersonating anyone.

Sadly, I thought this was the weakest episode of the series so far. Even the mock sit com's were weak.

Funniest line, as usual, was by monkey, but I think the moderators wouldn't like it if I repeated it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In last night's episode, I loved Monkey Skyping Tom to tell him that Bea had been sacked but she couldn't talk to him because she was asleep. And denying that it was his fault she lost her job, although he was there.

But why on earth is Tom's best friend going over to join him in California? That makes no sense whatsoever to me.