Radio X presenters

abertomabertom Posts: 1,248
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do Radio X need some more presenters? Thought Phil Clifton would just cover Vernon and and Dan O'C but actually he's covering Johnny Vaughan as well. I'd have got someone relatively big name

Comments

• Neil-wNeil-w Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Any ideas who would be a good fit?
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abertom wrote: »
    Do Radio X need some more presenters? Thought Phil Clifton would just cover Vernon and and Dan O'C but actually he's covering Johnny Vaughan as well. I'd have got someone relatively big name

To be fair at a guess the plan originally would have been to have Jon Holmes cover it, however with him leaving Radio X that isn't an option.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,313
    Forum Member
    6:30 handover interesting today, previous presenter (Ross) made the mistake of mentioning it was Jon's 2nd last show. Jon's team then bought up the email from the boss which had been sent around stating it was not to be mentioned and Jon would just make a statement at the end of Sunday's show. Typical Global hiding presenter exits from the audience rather than being open with them. Great Jon doesn't care and did a whole link about it.

I guess it's unusual Global didn't put him on immediate Garden leave so at least we have some final shows to enjoy before he disappears off to a station with less coverage than Radio X.

How often do presenters switch to a competitor and start their new show the day after their last show on the old station?

Jon's a big loss to Radio X do you think they'll replace him with a personality led DJ who could also cover weekdays or will we just end up with some bland weekend breakfast DJ just name checking the songs?
    Forum Member
    I guess we'll find out at midnight when next Saturday's schedule goes up. They have to bring in someone new surely as they don't seem to have any spare presenters.

Best of Moyles can't happen as he's already doing that Friday and Monday next weekend.

With Johnny and Chris off on holidays they are very short on presenters. Since they started in Sep two presenters have left Camfield and now Holmes but no one bought in.

I suppose they could start VT more shows (overnights?) and merge the 1am and 4am shows like they did with weekends to replace Camfield.

I suspect they completely blew their budget on Moyles, Johnny, Vernon and Ricky so probably can't attract any more talent so the rest of the schedule will be left with Global robot jocks.

Radio X has potential but the next schedule change could be key a national stage is more than just breakfast and drive.
    Forum Member
    Jon dropping subtle hints about his new role today by name checking Julia Hartley Brewer and comments about who needs songs on a radio show. His a good listen if you can read between the lines of what he's saying.

A loss to Radio X
    Forum Member
    I liked the Jamie 'I like a dungeon' theakston comment when plugging vermin kaymaster, your right he is a very good listen and I'll be interested to hear him on talk radio.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil-w wrote: »
    I liked the Jamie 'I like a dungeon' theakston comment when plugging vermin kaymaster, your right he is a very good listen and I'll be interested to hear him on talk radio.
    There was a brilliant comment when Moyles was giving away a car and he said that Radio X probably got it cheap from Moyles car dealership. There was also a funny one at Christmas when Jon was talking about all the presenters being Christmas trees and having to be careful with Johnny Vaughn incase he dropped needles.

This is where I think Jon is brillaint with his in jokes that you have to read between the lines for.
  • abertomabertom Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    6:30 handover interesting today, previous presenter (Ross) made the mistake of mentioning it was Jon's 2nd last show. Jon's team then bought up the email from the boss which had been sent around stating it was not to be mentioned and Jon would just make a statement at the end of Sunday's show. Typical Global hiding presenter exits from the audience rather than being open with them. Great Jon doesn't care and did a whole link about it.

I guess it's unusual Global didn't put him on immediate Garden leave so at least we have some final shows to enjoy before he disappears off to a station with less coverage than Radio X.

How often do presenters switch to a competitor and start their new show the day after their last show on the old station?

Jon's a big loss to Radio X do you think they'll replace him with a personality led DJ who could also cover weekdays or will we just end up with some bland weekend breakfast DJ just name checking the songs?

Wasn't that just Jon's team winding Ross up?
    Forum Member
    I can see Dave berry on X somewhere, not sure weekends is the place though...
    Forum Member
    Wasn't that just Jon's team winding Ross up?

Email sounded genuine to me and exactly the sort of thing Global management do, ban all mention of presenters leaving so they just disappear without trace.

Interested what the schedule says for next Sat breakfast. Although not sure I fully trust it as Jo Good said earlier she's on all 4 days at Easter yet no sign of her in Friday's schedule.

Great opportunity for Virgin to nick some X listeners with Moyles off as they launch.

I'd personally find a slot for Andy Bush or Geoff Lloyd, as they'd add some personality and have the experience to cover Moyles or Johnny. Think X is on its way up whilst Absolute likely to lose listeners to Virgin so on the opposite trajectory, so X could appeal to some Abs names and jump ship.
    Forum Member
    Jon still on the schedule for next weekend but he's on air now with his last show.

Have they still not sorted a replacement even a temporary one?
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad to see Jon Holmes leaving the station. I used to enjoy his weekday Breakfast programme on XFM.

He's just played a montage of "goodbye" leaving speeches including part of the famous one made by DLT when he quit Radio 1 live on air back in 1993!
  • EPIC.PERSON.EPIC.PERSON. Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon's last song is the first song he played on Xfm breakfast - Paradise City.

I don't know how much of the music Jon chose but it was obvious he chose the last two.

Jon Holmes has been a great listen and I'll listen to as much as I can of tomorrow's show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris has just said Vernon's his official holiday cover
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris has just said Vernon's his official holiday cover

Not surprising, and we’d sort of assumed that given Vernon is the only other DJ to have covered for Moyles outside of Bank Holidays.

Normally the Drivetime DJ would cover Breakfast, but given Moyle’s frosty relationship with Johnny Vaughan I suspect that he agreed with management that Vernon would be his cover, not Vaughan.
  • HistoricDealerHistoricDealer Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »

To be fair to Global, they've been brilliant with this. Jon also took the mickey out of Ian Camfield disappearing...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why have Global not updated their schedules. Isn't Jo Good on Friday and Jon Holmes clearly isn't on at the weekend. They must know by now who's presenting what.
    Forum Member
    On the app everything shifts back an hour, birdie finishing at 12 rather than 1, Ross 12 to 5.30, Jon 5.30 to 9 and so on, so some sort of update has happened. I geuss that's in light of rajars and Jon going so would geuss a music based replacement rather than personality...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's a bug to do with clock change
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the app everything shifts back an hour, birdie finishing at 12 rather than 1, Ross 12 to 5.30, Jon 5.30 to 9 and so on, so some sort of update has happened. I geuss that's in light of rajars and Jon going so would geuss a music based replacement rather than personality...

I'd guess the time changes were due to the clocks going forward on Sunday morning.:)
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair to Global, they've been brilliant with this. Jon also took the mickey out of Ian Camfield disappearing...

I suspect Radio X management let Jon Holms get away with these comments because he’s not in a prime slot.
    Chris Moyles doesn’t really acknowledge Johnny Vaughan anymore apart from the odd comment, it’s almost as if Radio X management have told their flagship names to ‘play nice’.

It would have been quite funny to have all the DJs hating each other – reminds me of the Howard Stern, Don Imus and Soupy Sales days on WNBC in the mid-80s where they all hated each other and made no secret of it. :D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    I'd guess the time changes were due to the clocks going forward on Sunday morning.:)

It doesn't happen on other global stations when the clock goes forward or back...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hattie Pearson (Saturday) and Johnny Vaughan (Sunday) are doing weekend breakfast - not sure if its a one off
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't happen on other global stations when the clock goes forward or back...?

Clocks been updated now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bank Holiday Monday schedule

6:30am The Best of Chris Moyles Show
    10:00am Jo Good - Top 100 Best of British part 1
    1:00pm Dan O'Connell part 2
    4:00pm Vernon Kay part 3