BBC HD and football

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,448
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was watching the news this morning and was surprised to hear that the BBC plans to screen the Football and some of Wimbledon in High Definition this summer!! No mention was made on how this was to be achieved, but it did state on digital services!! Has anyone else seen this???

GG

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching the news this morning and was surprised to hear that the BBC plans to screen the Football and some of Wimbledon in High Definition this summer!! No mention was made on how this was to be achieved, but it did state on digital services!! Has anyone else seen this???

GG

GG This might be for sat and cable services first although there are some HD DTT tests taking place recently... :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    One things for sure it won't be on DTT !

Hands up anyone who's got a DVB-T adapter that can DO H.264 ! (and you are not allowed to answer if you work for BBC research!!)

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    We know HD wont fit down the Freeview pipe - so how are we gonna be able to see HD and use our Hummys? Any ideas how it will be able to be linked up? Or will it be able to be linked up at all?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I have read this morning it looks as though high def wont be a realistic proposition until analogue is switched off so that that the extra space that will then be available can be used to fit a few HD broadcasting channels
    Forum Member
    When HD finally does arrive on DTT then it'll be time to throw away your 9200 or any other current PVR or DVB-T decoder box as you are going to need one than can decode MPEG4 and there's no possibility of current designs doing this. The new boes will also have DVI/HDMI outputs on them to actually get the pictures (digitally) out of the box and into your "HD Ready" telly.

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What consumer device is capable of receiving HDTV (in the UK)? Is DVB-S capable of transmitting HDTV? If so my digital satellite receiver is not capable of receiving it, is it?
    Forum Member
    The only consumer devices I know of that can decode and output an HDTV signal are the forthcoming Telewest HDTV cable box and the forthcoming SkyHD HDTV satellite box. No other existing equipment contains an MPEG4 decoder because, basically, the silicon that includes H.264 decode has only just become available in the last year and only in production quantities in the more recent past. The satellite receivers will likely be using DVB-S2, not DVB-S for H.264 content too.

Cliff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I guess the BBC are just going to export the HDTV transmissions to the market abroad, IF IT IS TRUE that the BBC are going to screen tennis and football in HDTV format?
    Forum Member
    son_t wrote:
    So I guess the BBC are just going to export the HDTV transmissions to the market abroad, IF IT IS TRUE that the BBC are going to screen tennis and football in HDTV format?
    And in the UK to Telewest and Sky (and via there also to their "Freesat" service)

Cliff

(though I'm not sure there is an DVB-S2/H.264 capable Freesat receiver available as yet?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJL wrote:
    The only consumer devices I know of that can decode and output an HDTV signal are the forthcoming Telewest HDTV cable box and the forthcoming SkyHD HDTV satellite box. No other existing equipment contains an MPEG4 decoder because, basically, the silicon that includes H.264 decode has only just become available in the last year and only in production quantities in the more recent past. The satellite receivers will likely be using DVB-S2, not DVB-S for H.264 content too.

Cliff

So are these forthcoming boxes going to be available before Wimbledon and the World Cup?

[rhubarbe is the Reelbox Lite capable of receiving DVB-S2?]
    Forum Member
    Yes why do you think there is this major fight going on right now between Telewest and Sky to see who can be first to get their HD going - the original "buy in" is on the basis of all those mugs who like sports so much and don't care how much they pay for it ('course the BBC stuff will be "free" - we've already paid once for that anyway)

The question about Reelbox is really - how does it do its MPEG decode - is it a silicon solution or a software solution? If software then it should be possible to upgrade the decoder to H.264 later if it isn't already (though I guess there's an outside possibility that if it is silicon it *might* just be H.264 ready)

Cliff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJL wrote:
    Yes why do you think there is this major fight going on right now between Telewest and Sky to see who can be first to get their HD going - the original "buy in" is on the basis of all those mugs who like sports so much and don't care how much they pay for it ('course the BBC stuff will be "free" - we've already paid once for that anyway)

I can see pubs and 'sports bars' lapping HDTV up like no business...
    The question about Reelbox is really - how does it do its MPEG decode - is it a silicon solution or a software solution? If software then it should be possible to upgrade the decoder to H.264 later if it isn't already (though I guess there's an outside possibility that if it is silicon it *might* just be H.264 ready)

Cliff

I just had a read on the Reelbox forum, apparently the box is capable of HDTV - you can stream the pictures from your PC. But there are no DVB-S2 cards available until mid-2006, in Germany at least, to be able to get the satellite transmissions. Will this release make it for the World Cup?, is the question - but for us UK residents I wouldn't expect to see the cards over here in time...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    son_t wrote:
    I just had a read on the Reelbox forum, apparently the box is capable of HDTV - you can stream the pictures from your PC. But there are no DVB-S2 cards available until mid-2006, in Germany at least, to be able to get the satellite transmissions.

I tell a lie, the Reelbox can record HDTV but on playback, only sound is played - the picture is a blank screen... (what's the use? apparently stream it to your PC and get that to play it!)...

EDIT: It's official! BBC HDTV for Wimbledon and World Cup! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4834322.stm
  • nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe there are two receivers launched - one from Pace, the other from Humax - that could be used with Freesat/HD. But whether you can get them easily in the UK is doubtful. I suspect most will be heading for countries like Germany where there are services up and running.

sat-world.de has the Humax PR HD 1000, which has CI slots, and support for MPEG4, for €379. You could buy it with a subscription to german HD channels too, if you want.

Nigel.