Kids and Doctor Who

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about starting young'uns off with the Sarah Jane series?

I'd vet each individual DW episode separately to confirm child-friendliness. There is bound to be a different reaction to each episode, and something that adults take for granted may freak out a child ... but another child may not even notice that "scary bit". Each child is different, after all.

I was terrified by the Melkur (Keeper of Traken, 1981), but other kids weren't. (I was terrified by Erasmus Darkening in SJA, last week, but other people in their mid-30s weren't...)

I watched Doctor Who aged twelve and only got freaked out by one episode (Satan Pit, with the Ood in the tunnels). I think it is an untrue misconception that kids can be weaned onto DW via SJA. I watched SJA recently (aged fifteen) and a clown episode was a bit freaky - and my sister is freaked out by lots of Sarah Jane's. In my opinion, quite often SJA is scarier than DW.
  • NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    sendibo wrote: »
    In my opinion, quite often SJA is scarier than DW.

True. Just two weeks ago they showed a 59-year-old man snogging a 61-year-old woman! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son is almost 5 and he's been watching DW since he was 3, he's watched the dvd's so many times he can recite some of the eps!!!!

He also loves Primeval and Merlin but we always sit with him when any of the programmes are on incase he gets a bit freaked out and we can turn it off.

I'm a bit concerned about how scary WOM looks, I think I may have to put him to bed early on sunday and check it out first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chuk wrote: »
    I've just got a quick question

At what age do you let your children watch Dr. Who? I have a 4yr old, a 3 yr old and a 4 month old baby, and sometime in the future I look forward to getting my DVDs out and enjoying them with the kids.

I personally say about 8 (with care), but when I said that to my wife, she was a bit horrified. (different culture to the UK), even when I explain that I was about 8 when I started watching Jon Pertwee etc etc

Anyway, loving the new Who, loving the New Doctor Who fan threads, especially the first thread, a special journey, loving the hype

enough to bring me out of digitalspy retirement

Last Login

Hi Chuk

As a lot of the posts show, it really depends on the kids and what scares them. My own Niece watched DW with me now since she was 3, now 5. The first episode I showed her was Rose, and she was scared of Wheelie bins for days, although we did make a game out of it, which helped her overcome the fear quite quickly, as in pretending other plastic things were coming alive and we both would pretend scream that it got us, and before you know it she wasn't scared of bins anymore:D. She was scared of the bubble wrapped hands in The Ark in Space, but it didn't give her nightmares or anything, she doesn't really find the statues in Blink scary, but she did find the Empty child scary, although again I found her more scary when she startred going around saying "Mummmy";). She is fascinated by the Slitheen, and loves the Sontarans. And currently she wants to keep watching the trailers and clips for WOM again and again, even though she gets scared, she still want to watch. So basically I can't say what you should do or not, as it will depend on your children. But I do hope that whenever they do watch it, they enjoy and love it as you do, and DW is always more fun to watch when there are kids watching it with you.:)
  • Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chuk wrote: »
    I've just got a quick question

At what age do you let your children watch Dr. Who? I have a 4yr old, a 3 yr old and a 4 month old baby, and sometime in the future I look forward to getting my DVDs out and enjoying them with the kids.

I personally say about 8 (with care), but when I said that to my wife, she was a bit horrified. (different culture to the UK), even when I explain that I was about 8 when I started watching Jon Pertwee etc etc

Anyway, loving the new Who, loving the New Doctor Who fan threads, especially the first thread, a special journey, loving the hype

enough to bring me out of digitalspy retirement

Last Login

Hi Chuk, and welcome out of retirement. :D

From a personal viewpoint, I was scared of Dr Who and refused to watch it until I reached 43. :D Luckily I have now overcome my fear.;)

But for children of this new era, I agree with many posts here, it's a matter of personal choice. You know your children better than any of us and you will know what they are capable of watching.

I am a mum too, and I have learnt over the last 11 months that a little fear does no harm, and in fact for children to learn how to deal with it is no bad thing.
    My girls were first introduced to Who Christmas last year at the age of 7 and 9. They now both love it, and wouldn't want to miss an episode....even if it's suggested that it will be scary.

So I guess 8years old would be just right, but it really is down to your own discretion at the end of the day. :)

Oh and do pop in to tell us your thoughts on the current series and the new episodes, either here, or the New Dr Who Fan thread, or anywhere really. :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My little boy is 7 and he definitely watched the 1st Christopher Eccleston episode - so he would have been 2 or 3, I suppose. He also watched/es a lot of the DVDs of Classic Dr Who's that I've bought over the years.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    My little one became hooked when he was three, now at the grand old age of 6 he is a Who veteran, and loves most of the episodes, new and old. DW is his'thing' he loves every aspect.

He thinks DT is great, but his fave DW is CB !lol
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I believe I started watching it at the age of 5 - when William Hartnell was the old doc! I truly got into it when Pat Troughton took over. And here I am now at 49 waiting for matt to carry on next year. It never gave me nightmares when I was a bairn watching it - somehow kids seems to know the difference between fiction and reality (unlike some soap fans :D). OK the cybermen gave me the creeps, but I loved it! It's harmless fun for the family!