Help with Police Application Form!

Comments

• sunsetbeachsunsetbeach Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think I'll be able to look at the police in the same way as I did before .... Did they all go onto forums to get help filling in a basic form?

jeezo... no wonder this country's in the state it's in :rolleyes:

Ha Ha that's so funny :rolleyes:

This is an ADVICE thread, I could comment on some of the questions asked by other FMs as being utterly pathetic, but I understand that some people have certain strengths and weaknesses, as I said I know where mine lie and will improve on them. Thanks to everyone for their advice.
  • Guru TartGuru Tart Posts: 5,008
    Forum Member
    Hello All, i am very interested in joining the police but am stuck on my application form. Its asking me for examples of:

i) A time when i helped someone who was being bullied or intimidated.
    ii) a time when i had to make a difficult decision that may have upset others
    iii) a time when i worked as a team to get something done

I am so useless at things like this i cannot think of anything? Has anyone had an experiance of filling out one of these forms as i know they look at the answers to decide whether to progress you application?

Thanks in advance.

Only you have answers to those incidents.

You need to articulate and explain in full incidents. These could relate to life at school, at work, they could be mundane but what they are looking for is your intervention.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Sunset,

Why do you want to be a Police Officer?
  • housewifehousewife Posts: 2,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Hello Sunset,

Why do you want to be a Police Officer?

Hang on, he just needs to go and ask someone!:cool:
  • bilijojimbobbilijojimbob Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha Ha that's so funny :rolleyes:

This is an ADVICE thread, I could comment on some of the questions asked by other FMs as being utterly pathetic, but I understand that some people have certain strengths and weaknesses, as I said I know where mine lie and will improve on them. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

This isnt about othet FM's or the other trivial threads on the board .. I would have thought being a police officer would be serious business .. If you cant get through the basic questionaires then I reckon you ought to give up ...

MacDonalds are always looking for extra staff :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO.... of course. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isnt about othet FM's or the other trivial threads on the board .. I would have thought being a police officer would be serious business .. If you cant get through the basic questionaires then I reckon you ought to give up ...

MacDonalds are always looking for extra staff :p

Unfortunatley, i believe that mcD's also ask basic questions to you at the interview stage, so that may be a stumbling block! :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    housewife wrote: »
    Unfortunatley, i believe that mcD's also ask basic questions to you at the interview stage, so that may be a stumbling block! :cry:

Maybe her local one has internet access :D

*dials 999*

help help! my neighbour is hitting me

*polis*

haud oan tae a google whit tae dae ... lol

aye right!
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

What has surprised me is how much negative feedback Sunset has received to his question, some funny, some snide.

To each of those who have responded with such remarks, when your face is punched by a mugger, or your kicked and beaten to a pulp, your loved one is knifed or your belongings are ripped from your hands.

When you react with understandable horror to an immage of an OAP slapped and beaten.

When you comment that the police are useless or never around, will you ask yourself or wonder why there arn't as many new recruits to the force or people simply applying.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello,

What has surprised me is how much negative feedback Sunset has received to his question, some funny, some snide.

To each of those who have responded with such remarks, when your face is punched by a mugger, or your kicked and beaten to a pulp, your loved one is knifed or your belongings are ripped from your hands.

When you react with understandable horror to an immage of an OAP slapped and beaten.

When you comment that the police are useless or never around, will you ask yourself or wonder why there arn't as many new recruits to the force or people simply applying.

I agree. I personally had similar questions on an application form for a bank. I'm far from stupid but the problem is that you know the interviewer is going to be looking for a certain type of answer and I really had no idea what to put. I ended up binning the application.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe her local one has internet access :D

*dials 999*

help help! my neighbour is hitting me

*polis*

haud oan tae a google whit tae dae ... lol

aye right!

Is there any need to resort to that? And if you think the application form is 'basic' why don't you fill one out and post it for us to see?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if you think the application form is 'basic' why don't you fill one out and post it for us to see?

Nice try, but i dont think that they will fall for that.
  • Cairy LuntCairy Lunt Posts: 3,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    housewife wrote: »
    Nice try, but i dont think that they will fall for that.

haha! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Some people are born with skills, others learn a skill, i can learn to be good report writer as i pick up things very quickly, that's a skill i do have!

I'll check out into blue thanks Cairy Lunt.
    whats going to happen when your on the street for the first time and something happens that you didnt train for?

"one moment sir if you could hold your fire,I just need to log in to DS to see what to do next!"

If you make it to an interview,make sure you show that you can think on your feet,it will score you more points than "willing to learn".

Not a dig at you OP,just some advice.
  • BlackVarnishBlackVarnish Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

Or it could be simply that the people who apply for the police are all seduced by power or have watched the bill too much through their formative years and are convinced that they are perfect for the job, when in reality, they are not. And the people who would be perfect for the job, are not stupid enough to do it. That's why the country is the way it is, why should someone join the police when there are very few benefits if you are actually a decent person? Anyone with the intelligence to be in the police force wouldn't want to be in it these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whats going to happen when your on the street for the first time and something happens that you didnt train for?

"one moment sir if you could hold your fire,I just need to log in to DS to see what to do next!"

If you make it to an interview,make sure you show that you can think on your feet,it will score you more points than "willing to learn".

Not a dig at you OP,just some advice.

Of course I don't expect the police to train for every single scenario possible, and I am confident I can think on my feet, I'm assertive, headstong and don't take any cr@p off anybody, especially people who don't know me and just like to be negative, but it's ok because i've read other posts by some FMs & they just like to be difficult to everybody so I don't take it to heart!
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... And the people who would be perfect for the job, are not stupid enough to do it. That's why the country is the way it is, why should someone join the police when there are very few benefits if you are actually a decent person? Anyone with the intelligence to be in the police force wouldn't want to be in it these days.
    Oddly enough, I've known several intelligent and extremely decent people who were in the police force.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I am confident I can think on my feet, I'm assertive, !

Ok, if you are quick on your feet, here is a test for you. A man takes your friend hostage the only way to free him is to do as he demands. This is his demand

You have 10 minutes to write down your answers and you cant ask for help.

These are the questions

Tell me about

i) A time when i helped someone who was being bullied or intimidated.
    ii) a time when i had to make a difficult decision that may have upset others
    iii) a time when i worked as a team to get something done
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Oddly enough, I've known several intelligent and extremely decent people who were in the police force.

Were, being the operative word.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course I don't expect the police to train for every single scenario possible, and I am confident I can think on my feet, I'm assertive, headstong and don't take any cr@p off anybody, especially people who don't know me and just like to be negative, but it's ok because i've read other posts by some FMs & they just like to be difficult to everybody so I don't take it to heart!

Can you stand up at the front in a class full of strangers and give a 5 minute talk on the first subject which enters the instructors head.:eek:

I once saw a girl do this and she stood frozen to the spot the whole time and never said a word. She decided the police force was'nt for her after that.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why do you want to join the police? Power?
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were, being the operative word.
    I'm happy to change the tense if you prefer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you want to join the police? Power?

There are so many reasons but I'd like to help people, help make a safer community, give people comfort and a friendly face in times of distress, help put away scum, I'm not on some power trip, and I don't think The Bill is a true reflection on the real police just like I don't believe coronation street is in anyway like real life. Its fiction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    I'm happy to change the tense if you prefer.

Well at least get your facts straight, they either were a- in the police, b- used to be in the police, c- never in the police at all or d- totally made up. So please, do change the tense, it makes all the difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are so many reasons but I'd like to help people, help make a safer community, give people comfort and a friendly face in times of distress, help put away scum, I'm not on some power trip, and I don't think The Bill is a true reflection on the real police just like I don't believe coronation street is in anyway like real life. Its fiction.

Well with that answer you should be able to provide examps of how you've done all this before, or do you suddenly now just want to be in the police and before now you couldn't care less about what happens to others?