Apart from GTA V, what good games are left to come out on the PS3?

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
With the PS4 launch now so near and the last really big game coming out this week, what is now left in the PS3 era to look forward to?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new Batman, BF 4, COD Ghosts, GT6, FIFA 14, Watchdogs, Assassins Creed and probably much the same as is released on PS4 for a while yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Beyond two souls with Ellen Page is out in October
  • Kopite79Kopite79 Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dark Souls 2. Sequel to one of the best games this gen.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dragon's Crown looks ok if anyones after a tarted up retro game. Oct 11th.

I want to read a review of PES 14, to make sure its not a balls up. (pardon the pun) Not long till Friday though.
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gran Turismo 6
    Beyond: Two Souls
    Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
    Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
    Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to read a review of PES 14, to make sure its not a balls up. (pardon the pun) Not long till Friday though.

I didn't like the demo much at all. Fifa 14 demo wasn't particularly good either.
  • D3XT3RD3XT3R Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people suddenly think that the PS3 is going to curl up die away, not only this question but also the other one on the forum asking when online support will end. Enough already there's still life in the old dog yet:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kopite79 wrote: »
    I didn't like the demo much at all. Fifa 14 demo wasn't particularly good either.

I bought FIFA 12 for a fiver 3 months ago. Having never played it since PS2 days.
    Tried doing the league as Leeds and didn't like it. The game or the team I support ?

There is a mysterious lack of PES 14 reviews, considering its supposed to be out this Friday.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D3XT3R wrote: »
    Why do people suddenly think that the PS3 is going to curl up die away, not only this question but also the other one on the forum asking when online support will end. Enough already there's still life in the old dog yet:D

Yeah, it's totally mad, the PS3 is selling more than it has in it's entire lifetime (it got off to an exceedingly slow start) and is finally showing us what it can do when pushed to the limit and serving up some of the best games of this generation, but instead of enjoying this and making the most of it, people are just fussing about the next generation, which will be game-starved for a long time to come.

And to those selling off their PS3s and 360s for next gen, hope you like staring at your PS4/XBone cos there won't be much to actually play on it for the first 12 months, never is, developers need time to get used to the new systems...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still using my launch 60gb. So I might have to buy another before even thinking about the PS4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought FIFA 12 for a fiver 3 months ago. Having never played it since PS2 days.
    Tried doing the league as Leeds and didn't like it. The game or the team I support ?

There is a mysterious lack of PES 14 reviews, considering its supposed to be out this Friday.

I think the reviews normally come out a day or two before release. A lot of the previews have been hyping it up but the demo feels really sluggish and the keepers are still horrendous.

I'll stick to PES 5 for my footy fix I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Really looking forward too Beyound two souls
  • Green_StampGreen_Stamp Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D3XT3R wrote: »

Exactly. There really isn't any need for the 8th generation to be released yet anyway. The current gen still have a lot to offer.

I think Sony and Microsoft have made a mistake here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. There really isn't any need for the 8th generation to be released yet anyway. The current gen still have a lot to offer.

I think Sony and Microsoft have made a mistake here.
    This generation is a year too late. The consoles are shot. They need renewing and so do sales. They've been dropping for ages. Publishers, especially Ubisoft, have publicly said this generation was too long and that new consoles are badly needed.

The new consoles offer so much more then what we have now and in the case of the PS4 doesn't cost that much more either.

Even some mobile games are beginning to look up to par with some current gen games.

There is no case for suggesting there shouldn't be a new generation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    This generation is a year too late. The consoles are shot. They need renewing and so do sales. They've been dropping for ages. Publishers, especially Ubisoft, have publicly said this generation was too long and that new consoles are badly needed.

The new consoles offer so much more then what we have now and in the case of the PS4 doesn't cost that much more either.

Like what exactly? Other than being quicker, having increased processing power and supporting high resolutions, what great and wonderful things do the 8th generation offer that makes them shade the previous gen?

Even some mobile games are beginning to look up to par with some current gen games.

There is no case for suggesting there shouldn't be a new generation.

Except there is when what is offered is not a significant improvement on the last.

What is the gamer going to benefit from this November if they purchase a new console?

You're claiming the consoles are shot yet Sony shifted nearly 14m million PS3s last year. GTA V sets all kinds of records for sale and The Last of Us shows just how well what developers can get out the machines.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    It seems to be that all PS4 games can be done on a PS3; albeit with a slightly less minor graphical detail on some of them.

The PS4 is a benefit to the developers; but there is no next gen game that looks anything good as The Last of Us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like what exactly? Other than being quicker, having increased processing power and supporting high resolutions, what great and wonderful things do the 8th generation offer that makes them shade the previous gen?
    Games like Driveclub pushing the envelope with global dynamic illumination, whilst rendering superb 3D trees (none of that current gen 'x tree' tactics) and foliage.

Games like Knack that have highly complex 5,000 piece characters that can all react individually.

Games like Dead Rising 3 having a vast open world, heavily populated with immense amounts of NPCs.

Features like snap mode on the Xbox One that allows you to multi-task, opening up avenues for games to provide greater information or async gameplay.

Features like built-in sharing of clips and gameplay without the need to purchase a capture card/device.
    Except there is when what is offered is not a significant improvement on the last.

What is the gamer going to benefit from this November if they purchase a new console?

You're claiming the consoles are shot yet Sony shifted nearly 14m million PS3s last year. GTA V sets all kinds of records for sale and The Last of Us shows just how well what developers can get out the machines.
    As above many games are using tech that cannot be done on current gen. The performance isn't there to do it.

I haven't seen the latest figures, but a month or two ago the US were enjoying 14 months of console sales decline. There is your proof they're needed.

GTA V and The Last of Us will sell well, because there are 140m+ consoles out there now. Nothing to do with new consoles not being needed. Especially when GTA is struggling to keep 30 fps and looks poor doing it, it's like watching a popup book at times.

What you're suggesting is that we should never have upgraded to HD, because what's the point? We could still watch TV on our old CRT TVs so why upgrade? Why don't we all chuck out our pointless HD LED TVs in the bin.
    Forum Member

I haven't seen the latest figures, but a month or two ago the US were enjoying 14 months of console sales decline. There is your proof they're needed.

I think the sales decline is more to do with the stuff the publishers are putting out!

I don't think I am ready for the PS4 just yet. They haven't showed me enough games or that killer title. And their idea of PS+ trying to lock me into their ecosystem for good, won't work for me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    I think the sales decline is more to do with the stuff the publishers are putting out!

I don't think I am ready for the PS4 just yet. They haven't showed me enough games or that killer title. And their idea of PS+ trying to lock me into their ecosystem for good, won't work for me!
    No, because game sales are not suffering as much pain.

The problem is market saturation. When saturation occurs you change up your offering.

Business 101.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Games like Driveclub pushing the envelope with global dynamic illumination, whilst rendering superb 3D trees (none of that current gen 'x tree' tactics) and foliage.

Games like Knack that have highly complex 5,000 piece characters that can all react individually.

Games like Dead Rising 3 having a vast open world, heavily populated with immense amounts of NPCs.

Features like snap mode on the Xbox One that allows you to multi-task, opening up avenues for games to provide greater information or async gameplay.

Features like built-in sharing of clips and gameplay without the need to purchase a capture card/device.

As above many games are using tech that cannot be done on current gen. The performance isn't there to do it.

GTA V and The Last of Us will sell well, because there are 140m+ consoles out there now. Nothing to do with new consoles not being needed. Especially when GTA is struggling to keep 30 fps and looks poor doing it, it's like watching a popup book at times.

What you're suggesting is that we should never have upgraded to HD, because what's the point? We could still watch TV on our old CRT TVs so why upgrade? Why don't we all chuck out our pointless HD LED TVs in the bin.

Dress it up all you want, it's little progress over what is currently on offer.

Improved graphics and performance are expected. The ability to upload gameplay clips is a gimmick and of little value.

You've provided no evidence of substance regarding sales that convinces me otherwise that it's just convoluted and exaggerated to emphasise your point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dress it up all you want, it's little progress over what is currently on offer.

Improved graphics and performance are expected. The ability to upload gameplay clips is a gimmick and of little value.

You've provided no evidence of substance regarding sales that convinces me otherwise that it's just convoluted and exaggerated to emphasise your point.
    I gave you several key improvements. Lighting this gen is mostly static and pre baked. Everything is an illusion. Next gen will offer global dynamic illumination that will vastly improve lighting in games. Driveclub looks amazingly realistic and natural in this department.

I gave you Knack, where the computational performance required simply is not available right now.

I gave you Dead Rising 3 where they're even struggling to make their vast and dense world happen smoothly on next gen, so what hope would a game of such calibre have on current gen?

The features like snap mode simply could not run due to lack of memory in current gen. Quick switching, fluidity is all going to be improved as a result of these increased resources.

Sharing is not a gimmick. If you think it is then you're not in touch with how the youth game now. That's not a knock on you for not knowing, but sharing and streaming is massive and growing.

So I've no idea how you can suggest that there are no improvements or nothing that can't be done by the next gen games that can't be done on current gen consoles.

Even if games offered nothing but the resolution increase going from 720p, which must current gen titles render at (if not less), to 1080p represents a 125% increase in pixel count. Hardly a 'little improvement'.

The sales decline is real. Go look up the NPD reports.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You gave nothing of value to justify the necessity of releasing this generation of consoles now; it's paltry improvements on graphics, most of which will not be recognised or appreciated anyway, it's unnecessary gimmicks and some desperate comment about sales.

None of the 8th generation consoles are the massive improvements on the last that would convince people to purchase and replace their current machines.

So by all means repeat and repeat your carefully worded diatribe about "illumination" and "expansive open worlds". It is nothing exceptional to what is an offer at present and is the kind of crap only really noticeable on IGN comparison screenshots.
    The sales decline is real. Go look up the NPD reports.

How about you actually back yourself up? I'm aware of the sales and of your absurd exaggeration of the issue.
    Forum Member
    No, because game sales are not suffering as much pain.

The problem is market saturation. When saturation occurs you change up your offering.

Business 101.

Kind of like the wii U then? ;) It's a change up alright.

Why are publishers still intending to support the PS3 and PS4 with the same titles?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You gave nothing of value to justify the necessity of releasing this generation of consoles now; it's paltry improvements on graphics, most of which will not be recognised or appreciated anyway, it's unnecessary gimmicks and some desperate comment about sales.

None of the 8th generation consoles are the massive improvements on the last that would convince people to purchase and replace their current machines.

So by all means repeat and repeat your carefully worded diatribe about "illumination" and "expansive open worlds". It is nothing exceptional to what is an offer at present and is the kind of crap only really noticeable on IGN comparison screenshots.

How about you actually back yourself up? I'm aware of the sales and of your absurd exaggeration of the issue.
    Paltry? It is far from paltry. Even the games on the Xbox One that started development as Xbox 360 titles are far from paltry improvements.

If you think they are paltry then you have no idea about what goes in to making a video game.

If you see nothing for you, then that is fine - but there is no need to spout nonsense about there being no need for new consoles. As I say, your attitude is like saying we should never had upgraded to HD televisions, we should never have upgraded our phones. Camera on a phone? What a cheap gimmick. Yeah let's never buy those.

There are no gimmicks. Sharing gameplay is huge right now, and is growing. As I say, if you think it is a gimmick then you are probably showing your age. I'm not into it either and I don't see the appeal - but it is very, very popular and now they've removed the barrier to entry in that people no longer need to go out and purchase a somewhat-pricey device to capture or stream their gameplay it will only expand further.

As for backing up my statements, I was at work on a mobile device which is not the best to go hunting through my desktop browser history, nor is it the best device to go copying and pasting ten-tonne of links. It's painful enough to copy and paste one.

Now I'm home I can provide you the good news. All figures for hardware, as previously mentioned.

June - 30% decline
    May - 31% decline
    April - 42% decline
    March - 32% decline

And so it goes on. But apparently you think you know better than the CEO of Ubisoft and other publishers all crying out for new hardware to rejuvenate the industry.
    Chparmar wrote: »
    Kind of like the wii U then? ;) It's a change up alright.

Why are publishers still intending to support the PS3 and PS4 with the same titles?!
    Yes, exactly the Wii U. The sales were bombing - anyone who wanted one had one and so they came to market with a new product.

Publishers will continue to make PS3 titles because the new consoles will not get 70m install base overnight. So in order to make the most money they publish on both and has nothing to do with needing new consoles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My attitude has nothing to do with HD TVs or camera phones. Yet more silly attempts to draw attention away from your weak argument about what is essentially a PS3.5.

And if you cannot see the motivation in the CEO of a software developer making absurd statements then it's as hopeless as everything else you have posted.

There's no need to replace the hardware just yet. There is little to convince people to part with their PS3s when titles are still being released and the PS4 is not a marked improvement.