Easiest/Fastest way to Convert MPEG2 (DVD) to DIVX?

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,234
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is there free software that allows one to convert MPEG2 video and audio from a DVD disc (standard DVD format) to DIVX (assuming it's still the best format) to allow it to be stored on the PC hard drive for convenience and portability. Also I need to store the videos as efficiently as possible (without completely ruining the quality), is DIVX the best choice?, if so what settings give the best balance of quality/space? Ideally I would be looking to get 1.5 - 2 hour of video into about 1GB.

Also as there are a lot of movies/programmes I want to be able to store I am looking for the simplest and fastest method of achieving this. As I don't have a lot of time to spend on set up or config a simple program where you can just insert disc and set the save to location and leave it to sort out the rest would be ideal, if such a simple program exists?

Any advice and specific software recommendations greatly appreciated.

Comments

• LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would do it in two stages, rip the DVD using DVDFab, then convert to DivX using AutoGK.

About 500MB per hour of video gives you very good quality.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is free and easy and only a couple of clicks http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

Just be careful of any toolbars etc. that it may try to install.

Converting from DVD toDVD to AVI, MP4, WMV, MKV, etc is shown here http://www.freemake.com/how_to/how_to_rip_dvd_movie
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget to work out some sort of backup arrangement so should a drive die you won't be left having to repeat the process again..its amazing to see someone who's lost probably a weeks worth of effort ripping/trans coding etc turn almost into a gibbering wreck when they realise they have to do it all again due to a drive failure