Options

Apple getting desperate

Comments

• Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Would be very interested to know what the big spike was in iphone Flickr uploads was. Looks like it was around Autumn last year - new Flickr app?

Or a secret pay-off from Apple? :D
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    They said it was the world's most popular camera. Not the world's most popular on Flickr. They just tried to back up their argument. Flickr isn't an accurate source because only a select few use it.

They are clearly saying it is the world's most popular camera, when measured by the criteria of Flickr uploads.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Or a secret pay-off from Apple? :D

I don't think it was a pay-off! ;) More likely the app got a big boost in the Store or just had an instant upload feature added to the app. It's pretty noticeable though.

Anyway, I think the fact that a tonne of photos from iphones get uploaded to flickr tells you more about iphone owners than the quality of camera on the devices.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I guess it depends on how literally you want to take a specific meaning of "popular".

I don't think saying it is the most popular source of photos on Flickr is that outrageous.

People are choosing to take photos and post them to Flickr in a sense that I don't think applies to fuel duty or the colour of the sky.

If they said that do you think they do.

Bold headline says THE WORLDS MOST POPULAR CAMERA .. then they say the most "popular camera on flickr" .. how does the two come together exactly? is flickr now the standard by which we judge what is the most "popular" in the WORLD?

In any event taking a photo with a camera attached to your phone doesn't make it the worlds most popular camera. Unless people choose the camera and accept it has an iphone attached to it do you think that feasible?

The fact that you can't or choose not to see this speaks volumes about you.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it was a pay-off! ;) More likely the app got a big boost in the Store or something like that. It's pretty noticeable though.

Anyway, I think the fact that a tonne of photos from iphones get uploaded to flickr tells you more about iphone owners than the quality of camera on the devices.

I've never uploaded a picture to Flickr and I don't have an iPhone, but if I started to, what would it tell you about me:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are clearly saying it is the world's most popular camera, when measured by the criteria of Flickr uploads.
    The iSight camera on iPhone is the world’s most popular camera. It’s an amazing camera that’s always in your pocket. And while other smartphones simply tout large amounts of megapixels, taking great pictures is about so much more.

I don't think they are somehow :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    If they said that do you think they do.

Bold headline says THE WORLDS MOST POPULAR CAMERA .. then they say the most "popular camera on flickr" .. how does the two come together exactly? is flickr now the standard by which we judge what is the most "popular" in the WORLD?

In any event taking a photo with a camera attached to your phone doesn't make it the worlds most popular camera. Unless people choose the camera and accept it has an iphone attached to it do you think that feasible?

The fact that you can't or choose not to see this speaks volumes about you.

No - obviously Flickr is not the standard.

But in this case, it is the criteria that Apple are using.

They shouldn't need to spell it out that it isn't the only criteria.

After all, we've managed to figure it out, so I'm sure other people will be able to.

And again, not that it is a pissing contest, but from the graph on the Flickr site, its interesting that there's such a difference between uploads from Apple phones and Samsung phones, given that they both sell comparable numbers of smartphones with pretty decent cameras and the ability to easily upload photos to Flickr.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    I've never uploaded a picture to Flickr and I don't have an iPhone, but if I started to, what would it tell you about me:confused:

Everything from how you take your tea to your life expectancy :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything from how you take your tea to your life expectancy :D

I might unload one then. I would like to know how long I've got left. It could determine if I get the kitchen done or not:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - obviously Flickr is not the standard.

They shouldn't need to spell it out that it isn't the only criteria.

After all, we've managed to figure it out, so I'm sure other people will be able to.

And again, not that it is a pissing contest, but from the graph on the Flickr site, its interesting that there's such a difference between uploads from Apple phones and Samsung phones.

Using that logic Warbutons is the most popular brand of bread because my house has more loaves than any other brand (Hovis). Apple are being manipulative by using a ridiculous source.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

And for you as with everything apple from the worlds most popular camera to retina criteria is perfectly acceptable ... I should know better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its interesting that there's such a difference between uploads from Apple phones and Samsung phones, given that they both sell comparable numbers of smartphones with pretty decent cameras and the ability to easily upload photos to Flickr.

Yes. What conclusions do you think we can draw from this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. What conclusions do you think we can draw from this?

I have one theory, but will probably get shouted down.

IIRC there are internet usage stats showing a similar trend, i.e. more web browsing is done on the iPhone than other smartphones. (Whether or not that is still the case, I don't know.)

I've read articles on this, suggesting that it may in part be down to the fact that more people in the market for a smartphone are buying an iPhone, and so making more use of those sorts of features.

And more people in the market for a new phone are increasingly replacing less fancy phones with non Apple smartphones. But because they were only really in the market for a new phone, they tend make a lot less use of many features.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree there is (generally) a marked difference between people choosing the iphone versus other phones (or at least there used to be, I'm not sure its as distinct now as it has been in the past).

Hence my comment earlier that it says more about iphone owners than the iphone camera.

Are the Flickr stats useful numbers to consider when choosing a smartphone then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    And for you as with everything apple from the worlds most popular camera to retina criteria is perfectly acceptable ... I should know better

If they'd just said The World's Most Popular Camera, I'd have agreed with anyone questioning what that was based on.

But as it is, they've clearly qualified that statement. On that basis I don't find it unacceptable.

I asked you in another thread fact it is you seem to think I mistakenly believe with regards retina, but you haven't replied yet.

There's certainly nothing unacceptable that I can think of with Apple defining "retina" as a display with a resolution high enough to render individual pixels invisible to most people with normal eyesight, when used at normal viewing distance.

If you want to go out of your way and pick a hole in that by pointing out that someone with exceptional eyesight, holding the phone at an unusually short distance can still make out pixels, then go for your life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's certainly nothing unacceptable that I can think of with Apple defining "retina" as a display with a resolution high enough to render individual pixels invisible to most people with normal eyesight, when used at normal viewing distance.

The definition seemingly includes "made by Apple".... ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree there is (generally) a marked difference between people choosing the iphone versus other phones (or at least there used to be, I'm not sure its as distinct now as it has been in the past).

Hence my comment earlier that it says more about iphone owners than the iphone camera.

Are the Flickr stats useful numbers to consider when choosing a smartphone then?

I don't think I'd place too much value on them.

If nothing else, it suggests that people think their photos are good enough for the world to see. I imagine cameras on smart phones have certainly improved enormously in the last few years, and they're all pretty capable of taking decent photos.

All Apple are doing is bigging up their products on their website. I don't understand why people get so worked up by that. Its what any company does.

You've made that comment a couple of times now, about it "saying more about iPhone owners". What is it you think it says about iPhone users exactly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, because only people who want to share photos use Flickr. Flickr is also just one of many similar services.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably not, but it's advertising/marketing and should be taken with a pinch of salt. It's a company trying to sell you a product. Most if not all companies do things like this. They're trying to convince you to buy their stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The definition seemingly includes "made by Apple".... ;)

Well, from the page in question it says:

"The Retina display on iPhone ushered in the era of super-high-resolution displays."

not

"The Retina display on iPhone makes it the only phone with a super-high-resolution display"
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The post I replied to was about the camera.

Apple did not claim it was the most popular with no evidence to back it up.

They specifically qualified that statement with the number of photos uploaded to Flickr.

Some photo upload site that is in a minority now any way? No mention of facebook or instagram?

It was said with no evidence what so ever. Just more BS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've made that comment a couple of times now, about it "saying more about iPhone owners". What is it you think it says about iPhone users exactly?

That they perceive their photos taken on their iphone as high enough quality to share on a website which until recently was dominated by DSLR photos, significantly more so than owners of other brands of smartphone. (I'm still intrigued by that massive jump up in submissions though)

Almost as though they soak up Apple's marketing about how fantastic and magical everything about their phone is, and are prepared to defend it to the death on internet forums :D

I'll share smartphone photos on twitter or google+, but it wouldn't even occur to me to add them to my flickr account...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some photo upload site that is in a minority now any way? No mention of facebook or instagram?

It was said with no evidence what so ever. Just more BS.

Hmmm. Are the numbers for Facebook or Instagram any different though?

It's obvious enough why they use Flickr. It's because the site has a bit more prestige, and is known more for people uploading 'proper' pictures rather than the sort of stuff people use Facebook and Instagram for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That they perceive their photos taken on their iphone as high enough quality to share on a website which until recently was dominated by DSLR photos, significantly more so than owners of other brands of smartphone. (I'm still intrigued by that massive jump up in submissions though)

Almost as though they soak up Apple's marketing about how fantastic and magical everything about their phone is, and are prepared to defend it to the death on internet forums :D

I'll share smartphone photos on twitter or google+, but it wouldn't even occur to me to add them to my flickr account...

Did they release a Flickr app to discourage smartphone users from posting pics:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Did they release a Flickr app to discourage smartphone users from posting pics:rolleyes:

People didn't start uploading smartphone pics to Flickr because they had an app.

They had an app because people started uploading smartphone pics.

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2012/12/12/our-latest-flickr-iphone-app/
    with our updated Flickr app for iPhone and iPod touch, which just happens to be the most popular camera with you, our users.