Options

Scary looking actors who should always play villains

Comments

• Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lathamite wrote: »
    Interesting to see Willem Dafoe mentioned here. Makes his casting in The Last Temptation of Christ seem odder.
    There's no bigger villain in fiction than God!
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bottom line is I made a perfectly legitimate comment about why anyone would consider Shia Lebeouf, Jon Voight and Ed Harris 'so scary looking they should only ever play villains'.

In fact the more I think about that very statement, the more ridiculous it sounds...especially Lebeouf.

Can't really comment on Lebeouf but I've always thought Harris was quite a boring nice guy. He's really only stood out for me when playing the bad guy. Never been fussed about Voight one way or another.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    The discussion is the topic of the thread, you know, the reason we create topics on forums?

The discussion is not whether the topic has any merit and why should we discuss it.

Tip: It's not mandatory to discuss every thread you see.

If you don't like these trainspotting threads (which you contributed to) then perhaps you could stay out of them (which you didn't do here)?

I suppose all that makes some sort of sense in your head...:confused:
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The discussion is the topic of the thread, you know, the reason we create topics on forums?

The discussion is not whether the topic has any merit and why should we discuss it.

Tip: It's not mandatory to discuss every thread you see.

If you don't like these trainspotting threads (which you contributed to) then perhaps you could stay out of them (which you didn't do here)?

A couple of more points on this bizarre rant...

Firstly, I do not discuss every thread I see.

Second, if this is what you consider to be a 'trainspotting' thread, then frankly it should be in the Games Room section. As it isn't, then it's ripe for discussion the same as every other thread on here.

The games room thread is perfect for threads of the sort you describe with endless lists of actors, films etc with little comment or discussion.

Therefore I do not consider this a trainspotter thread, I have commented on it and will continue to do so regardless of what you think.
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of more points on this bizarre rant...

Firstly, I do not discuss every thread I see.

Second, if this is what you consider to be a 'trainspotting' thread, then frankly it should be in the Games Room section. As it isn't, then it's ripe for discussion the same as every other thread on here.

The games room thread is perfect for threads of the sort you describe with endless lists of actors, films etc with little comment or discussion.

Therefore I do not consider this a trainspotter thread, I have commented on it and will continue to do so regardless of what you think.

Ah, but I don't consider it a trainspotting thread. I was using Bickle's terminology of it.
  • Options
    Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Wincott

I would say he's known for bad guy roles anyway.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a massive Ed Harris fan but I disagree with Mr Cunterblast that he isn't a bit scary looking. He does have a certain quality about him that's a bit intense and intimidating.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wonderful Anthony Perkins.

I'm sure that he was a lovely guy but I wouldn't have wanted to be locked in a room with him.

A sad piece of trivia that I learnt recently was that his wife was in one of the planes that hit the twin towers.
  • Options
    Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 pages in and nobody has mentioned Jeremy Irons??, come on DS you're slipping.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 pages in and nobody has mentioned Jeremy Irons??, come on DS you're slipping.

I've never found Irons scary since seeing him do a very bad 'Allo 'Allo German in Dire Hard With A Vengeance (typo deliberate) - "Ve have vays of making you talk Mr McClane". Alan Rickman would have been spinning in his grave - if he was dead.
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I'm not a massive Ed Harris fan but I disagree with Mr Cunterblast that he isn't a bit scary looking. He does have a certain quality about him that's a bit intense and intimidating.

Like here in these roles:

http://www.blogcdn.com/news.moviefone.com/media/2005/09/0hov.jpg

http://media.theiapolis.com/d4-i1GHL/ed-harris-in-man-on-a-ledge-2012.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was pretty scary at the press conference for 'A History of Violence' :)
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Michael Keaton always plays creepy well..Im thinking Pacific Heights and Penthouse North..

Also the guy out of Wolf Creek..Jed Jarrat?

The people who scare me the most are the ones who could actually be quite nice...but turn!!!!

From childhood memories my scariest bad guy has to be the childcatcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and cant ever imagine that he played any other rols but bad..gives me shivers now
  • Options
    soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought of another actor, Max von Sydow. His best creepy role has to be as Emperor Ming, I really can't imagine anyone ever doing a better job in that role. He has also played many other scary characters in his career including the voice of Vigo in Ghostbusters 2.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I've never found Irons scary since seeing him do a very bad 'Allo 'Allo German in Dire Hard With A Vengeance (typo deliberate) - "Ve have vays of making you talk Mr McClane". Alan Rickman would have been spinning in his grave - if he was dead.

Ah, nobody does bad guys like Alan Rickman. I suspect that the director simply told Irons to 'do me an Alan Rickman'.:D
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I was watching Shane yesterday and was reminded of what a great screen villain Jack Palance was.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is that fat little Chinese guy who appears in 90% of all action films, the one in Die Hard who grabbed the chocolate bar in the lobby. He was in Lethal Weapon when Riggs was hung up and being electrocuted.
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Who is that fat little Chinese guy who appears in 90% of all action films, the one in Die Hard who grabbed the chocolate bar in the lobby. He was in Lethal Weapon when Riggs was hung up and being electrocuted.

Al Leong

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0502959/
  • Options
    intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Can't be Al Leong, he's not fat ;)

Strange thread title, advocating typecasting. Personally I'd rather watch scary-looking actors playing heroes and good-looking actors playing villains, makes it more interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soran wrote: »
    Just thought of another actor, Max von Sydow. His best creepy role has to be as Emperor Ming, I really can't imagine anyone ever doing a better job in that role. He has also played many other scary characters in his career including the voice of Vigo in Ghostbusters 2.

I thought he was particularly sinister in 'Minority Report', especially in the scene with Anderton's wife.

"We'll talk about this later ........ I'll come by the cottage" :o
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Billy Drago
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks, finally know who he is. Always thought he was fat, must be the round face. :D
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam baldwin plays a bad guy well.

Eg mercury rising
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Lithgow. As watchable as he is when playing nice guys, I always find him much more entertaining when he's playing an apparently normal guy with hidden psychotic tendencies. He can go from warm to chilling in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Jack Nicholson