Options

New Now TV box to be announced on the 29th June

1235»

Comments

• Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I'm sure they'll be offered cheap in due course on various Amazon/supermarket promos.

Live pause is okay, but it would have been nicer to have had a better remote to manage Freeview in general - it's certainly very basic. It would have been nice to mix the free channels with the Sky/Now TV ones (at least having the option rather than separate tabs) too. Bear in mind, I said nice as I understand why Sky has done what it has.

It would also have been great to be able to add storage to record, but really would be a step too far in terms of stealing away subs from normal Sky.

of course, spot on.

if the new now box added storage. then I know people would easily ditch sky and go for this. i am a bit old skool and still believe very much in live channels and programming. I have got streaming boxes (NowTV V1 and the new amazon fire TV). I still very much go on the basis of well thats on at 9 so I'll watch that rather than whenever via catchup / streaming.

if the new box went that way then overnight I'd know loads who would ditch it and just sign up to the entertainment pass.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ultimately in the future, I am sure many traditional broadcast channels just won't exist. You'll watch news and sport live, and perhaps the odd reality show or drama, but most stuff will be streamed and more people will expect to watch a series in a box set type way.

The Now TV way is the future, and at some point the crippling to protect Sky satellite will start to tip the balance.

Suffice to say if that is going to happen, Now TV will go up in price to compensate so I'm hoping it doesn't happen for a few years yet!
  • Options
    arteseaartesea Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Quick question but would the roku 4 work in the UK?

Not perfectly, the BBC apps (one of the main reasons for me to use a Roku) won't work until whitelisted and they are only whitelisted when the beeb have tested them. Until it's officially launched over here that's not going to happen. It's the same for the newer Roku 3 and streaming stick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Ultimately in the future, I am sure many traditional broadcast channels just won't exist. You'll watch news and sport live, and perhaps the odd reality show or drama, but most stuff will be streamed and more people will expect to watch a series in a box set type way.

The Now TV way is the future, and at some point the crippling to protect Sky satellite will start to tip the balance.

Suffice to say if that is going to happen, Now TV will go up in price to compensate so I'm hoping it doesn't happen for a few years yet!

not for me it isn't

-can't record
    -poor selection of channels
    -channels streamed in SD
    -Od content annoys me (you have 3 days left to see this series, can't record it, can't watch it all)
    -costly to have everything
    -sky store forces me to buy and keep if i want to stream in HD
    -app selection is poor compared to amazon / roku
    -no option for BT Sport crucial to me, throwing the BT Sport app on the now box would entice more customers
    -multiroom doesn't work, only one box can be the 'prime' box for sport. movies and entertainment is fine though.

for those who like that way of tV watching its great, for me nada
  • Options
    Virtual PaulVirtual Paul Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -multiroom doesn't work, only one box can be the 'prime' box for sport. movies and entertainment is fine though.

Not sure what you mean for the sport. My brother and I watch the sport on 2 boxes at same time (so multiroom as we're not in the same room, or house :D) using a day pass, all under one account.

This new box having a fan is putting me off. The old ones are totally silent, which is how I like my kit under the TV. Fan noise intrusion, especially when watching movies is the number 1 killer of media boxes in my house. They soon end up being kicked out the door. Got shut of my Playstation 3 for a dedicated blu-ray player due to the fan noise.

Though the 50hz for smoother sport and movies is very tempting. Is the fan noise that noisy? Especially when we have this very warm ambient temperature where the fan will be on more often than not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure what you mean for the sport. My brother and I watch the sport on 2 boxes at same time (so multiroom as we're not in the same room, or house :D) using a day pass, all under one account.

This new box having a fan is putting me off. The old ones are totally silent, which is how I like my kit under the TV. Fan noise intrusion, especially when watching movies is the number 1 killer of media boxes in my house. They soon end up being kicked out the door. Got shut of my Playstation 3 for a dedicated blu-ray player due to the fan noise.

Though the 50hz for smoother sport and movies is very tempting. Is the fan noise that noisy? Especially when we have this very warm ambient temperature where the fan will be on more often than not.

didn't know it did that.... my bad to assume otherwise as thats how go/vm anytime limits you.

hmm loophole?
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am starting to wonder if there's a bigger problem in the heat (and by heat, I'm talking 26-27 degrees) as last night I was unable to watch Freeview as the box was saying no signal. Then when going to bed I fired up the portable AC and cooled (and dehumidified) the room and the channels came back.

No idea about the fan, as the AC was far too noisy!
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    My friend has bought this new box and rung me last night saying that he wants to return it back to the shop as when he watches freeview on it there are about 3 or 4 channels that have white dashes on the top of the screen. His tv has freeview hd built in anyway and when he switches back to that the dashes aren't there on the channels.

Any idea why it does this?
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend has bought this new box and rung me last night saying that he wants to return it back to the shop as when he watches freeview on it there are about 3 or 4 channels that have white dashes on the top of the screen. His tv has freeview hd built in anyway and when he switches back to that the dashes aren't there on the channels.

could be the overscan settings need changed if there are any. see if there are screen adjustment settings that will move the lines up a bit
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is definitely an overscan issue with the tv rather than the box. Some SD channels have these white lines at the top of the screen which are usually covered when overscan is switched on. My guess is that for the tv's internal tuner, overscan is probably switched off for the HD channels and on for the 576i stuff (SD).

Overscan must be switched off for the Now box as it outputs at 1080p, so the SD channels are effectively upscaled via the box before reaching the tv screen. He either puts up with it, or turns overscan on for the Now box input via the tv's menu, which will effectively 'zoom' the picture slightly overall so you don't see the 'noise' on SD channels but you also lose some of the picture on HD content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its a Sony TV and I can't find any overscan settings in the menus.
  • Options
    technoguytechnoguy Posts: 2,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a Sony TV and I can't find any overscan settings in the menus.
    It might not actually be called overscan, for example on my LG TV under the Aspect Ratio menu it has

16:9
    Just Scan
    Original
    4:3
    14:9
    Zoom

etc.

If i put it on Just Scan I get those lines at the very top of my picture, but if I put it on Original they disappear.

Not sure what it will be called on your TV but you should find it if you go through the aspect ratio menu.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my Sony it's under 'Display' - 'Screen', scroll down and you can set it to 'Full Pixel' (which is overscan off), 'Normal' (which is overscan on), and there's another option for -1, which you can ignore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's hardly any options to adjust the screen size on his sony. Guess its just something he will have to live with as he can't take it back as he's used the voucher. Unless there's some kind of hidden menu you can get into by button combination?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You normally press the 'Home' button and scroll left until you come to all the settings.

Things may have changed on more modern Sony's, but there should definitely be a way of turning overscan on and off.
  • Options
    arteseaartesea Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    not for me it isn't

-can't record
    -poor selection of channels
    -channels streamed in SD
    -Od content annoys me (you have 3 days left to see this series, can't record it, can't watch it all)
    -costly to have everything
    -sky store forces me to buy and keep if i want to stream in HD
    -app selection is poor compared to amazon / roku
    -no option for BT Sport crucial to me, throwing the BT Sport app on the now box would entice more customers

Not sure what you are on about with this SD/HD stuff. Almost all the channels are streamed in HD these days and all the On Demand is too. If you want HD movies you don't need to use Sky Store.
    As Sky haven't added Netflix or Amazon Prime, I'd doubt they'd add BT Sport, on top of that BT haven't built a Roku app, nor allow anyone to pay-to-view online only.
    Multiroom, NOW TV has always allowed 4 devices per account with any 2 watching at the same time. I've had a game on the TV whilst another on the tablet with the Premier League before.