Options

Coffee on shelf for £1, when I got to the till it was £1.89

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
Was just in my local supermarket, and saw a jar of Maxwell House coffee for a £1.

Coffee on shelf, label underneath £1.

So it's £1, right?

WRONG.

Went to the till and it was £1.89.>:(

So I told the till man it says £1. So he came with me to have a look.

'Oh, no, that's not that coffee, it's this coffee!' And he went the other side of the store and picked up the coffee that's £1.:o Both coffees Maxwell House.

So I said at the till, there's confusion there, for elderly people, you need to sort that out. I'm not even elderly and I was confused.'

"No confusion", he said. "It's clearly a different coffee."

Well CLEARLY it's not clear.>:( So I complained to head office. Was I right??:)

Comments

• Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends if it was left there by a customer who saw the sign, put down the current jar and picked up the £1 one.

Always check the shelf label against the product, especially on 3 for 2 or 2 for £2 etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Depends if it was left there by a customer who saw the sign, put down the current jar and picked up the £1 one.

Always check the shelf label against the product, especially on 3 for 2 or 2 for £2 etc.

No, there was about ten there, all the same.

Store should have made it clear the label beneath the coffee was £1.89. Not £1. Especially since both were Maxwell House.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably a different size? These things happen. Just check the shelf label for the offer.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've come across this sort of thing before - signs slipping, things put in the wrong place.. Staff are human and make errors sometimes. I wouldn't dream of complaining to head office unless a particular store made a habit of it or if I thought there was a deliberate attempt to mislead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You all miss the point.

There was no special offer

Signs had not slipped.

The coffee was in the wrong place and the staff couldn't care less.

No excuses I'm afraid. Think of the elderly lady who puts that coffee in her trolley and ends up paying 89p more for it, because it's in among other things.

Signs have to be correct and in the right place. It's a store. Not a kiddies' bring and buy stall.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've come across this sort of thing before - signs slipping, things put in the wrong place.. Staff are human and make errors sometimes. I wouldn't dream of complaining to head office unless a particular store made a habit of it or if I thought there was a deliberate attempt to mislead.

I wouldn't dream of it either - if I really wanted the £1 coffee I'd do do an exchange - but there are a lot of professional complainers out there who like nothing better than a good moan.
  • Options
    RRLRRL Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The point is shops are only an invitation to buy until both sides accept the terms so in this case the shop could rightfully say it was a mistake and withdraw the offer to sell it at £1, which is what they did. They then made a counter offer of £1.89 which you accepted so the deal was done.

This is actually a basic piece of consumer law and if you search the internet you may find what Act it comes under.

However, if you believe the shop was deliberately trying to mislead you can report it to the local council to investigate but you will need a lot more proof than in your OP
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never ever complained to HO or a member of staff formally, but I have made a small handful of quick grumbles to nearest staff member or checkout operator over the years.

As long as you don't get obsessive about catching out every mistake, you may wish to make a stand more than most of us do.

Supermarkets do need vigilant vocal shoppers too.
  • Options
    Tom_BasilTom_Basil Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say get over it.

It's 89p.

Just move on. This really isn't something to get your knickers in a twist about.

Surely there's more important things...
  • Options
    dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was just in my local supermarket, and saw a jar of Maxwell House coffee for a £1.

So it's £1, right?

WRONG.

'Oh, no, that's not that coffee, it's this coffee!' And he went the other side of the store and picked up the coffee that's £1.:o Both coffees Maxwell House.

So I said at the till, there's confusion there, for elderly people, you need to sort that out. I'm not even elderly and I was confused.'

Buying Maxwell House? No.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like a mistake made by a member of staff who put the wrong coffee on the shelf, but you aren't entitled to it at the £1 price anyway so moaning is pointless.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have way too much time on your hands gusto.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let the buyer beware.

Still down to the purchaser to check the label v the shelf ticket.

I remember a colleague being very upset about his orange juice until he discovered the sign was for freshly squeezed orange juice.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    You all miss the point.

There was no special offer

Signs had not slipped.

The coffee was in the wrong place and the staff couldn't care less.

No excuses I'm afraid. Think of the elderly lady who puts that coffee in her trolley and ends up paying 89p more for it, because it's in among other things.

Signs have to be correct and in the right place. It's a store. Not a kiddies' bring and buy stall.
    And mistakes happen, just part of live no point in going on one
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except that I'm convinced that Morrisons have made a deliberate policy of doing this. For instance, very often, you will see a special offer sign in the freezer section next to a huge pile of 500g packs. What you probably missed were about six 350g packs next to them, which are what the special offer sign refers to in absolutely tiny letters. If seen this far too often for it to be anything other than deliberate, with the hope that people either won't notice, or won't bother to hold the queue up to complain.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supermarkets try every trick in the book and never get fined for it.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like decent coffee and this has been my favourite best buy for a while http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=282719243

I'd love to live on Carte Noire but there you go.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RRL wrote: »
    The point is shops are only an invitation to buy until both sides accept the terms so in this case the shop could rightfully say it was a mistake and withdraw the offer to sell it at £1, which is what they did. They then made a counter offer of £1.89 which you accepted so the deal was done.

This is actually a basic piece of consumer law and if you search the internet you may find what Act it comes under.
    "Invitation to treat".
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So it's £1, right?

WRONG.

Yes, he should have let you have the coffee for £1

I bought a kenwood blender on sale in a supermarket a few xmas's ago, it was on sale and labelled as £24, got to till and it went through at £50, so when I told the assistant and showed where it was on the shelves, they put it through at the advertised price. the assistant quickly scuttled off to remove the rest from the shelf as they had been put in the wrong part and wrong price :o

It all forms the basis of contract, they have offered the coffe for sale at £1 which you accepted by picking it up and going to pay for it, they should really honour it unless you paid the £1.89 :o
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »

I bought a kenwood blender on sale in a supermarket a few xmas's ago, it was on sale and labelled as £24, got to till and it went through at £50, so when I told the assistant and showed where it was on the shelves, they put it through at the advertised price. the assistant quickly scuttled off to remove the rest from the shelf as they had been put in the wrong part and wrong price :o

It all forms the basis of contract, they have offered the coffe for sale at £1 which you accepted by picking it up and going to pay for it, they should really honour it unless you paid the £1.89 :o

Until you have paid for it no contract exists, they don't have to sell it for a £1 if it is an honest mistake...they don't even have to accept you as a customer.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very different situation.

In yours the wrong price had been put on the label.

If this case the label was correct as the label was for a different product.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Until you have paid for it no contract exists, they don't have to sell it for a £1 if it is an honest mistake...they don't even have to accept you as a customer.

Totally agree.
    It's happened to me a couple of times but I was as much at fault imo for not double checking and reading the small print. I didn't believe it was an attempt by the store to mislead. And I have to say those occasions have been outnumbered by a checkout operator pointing out that there was an offer on. In fact just this week I failed to notice the 2 for one offer on a pack of diet coke and they brought an extra one for me so well done them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Course not.
    Thats back to front - the offer is made buy the customer and accepted or not at the till.
    The goods on the shelf are an invitation to treat
  • Options
    dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He could have taken the item off sale and refused to sell it to you at any price to be honest.

It's usually better customer service just to let you have it and then fix the error.
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evenings must fly by in your house.