Underrated Icons

LMLM Posts: 63,477
Forum Member
✭✭
Which artists do you think are underrated icons?
I mean we have the obvious Icons like Madonna, Michael Jackson, Barbra Stresiand etc

It's all down to opinions, so there is no right or wrong answer.

Here are mine

Dusty Springfield - First female to crack america and pretty much was one of the very first British females to be successful. If it wasn't for her, we wouldn't have Adele, Amy Winehouse etc.

Kate Bush - Like Dusty, she was really one of the first British females to blow up but Kate created her own style of music and pretty much her own world. While Dusty set the standard for White Soul Singers, Kate set a huge standard for Female Pop Singers in general. She was banned in New Zealand for being too sexy, something Madonna would later embrace in her career years later.

Rihanna - She is always changing her style and she has amazing hits. Every era is different and it never feels repeated. While she is influenced by acts like Madonna, she is having other Females be influenced by her due to putting Barbados on the map for success and to bringing a flavour of so many different cultures of music in her music.

Gwen Stefani - Before the likes of Hayley Williams and Avril Lavigne, Gwen was the ultimate Rock chick of the 90's. Her quirky style, her unique voice and her creative songwriting led to the birth of No Doubt and then her own solo career. But Gwen knew how not to be too controversial and still kept it real. Her infamous Blue Hair, the Harajuku girls and the huge brand that is LAMB, I personally feel Gwen will very much be remembered in Pop/Rock Culture.

Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez - Lisa was controversial and often seen as a tragic soul. But erase that and your left with an amazing rapper (forget Nicki Minaj for a second) and being the brains behind one of the most successful girlbands. Sadly she died and was never able to continue her Legacy into a solo career. But before the likes of Eve and Lil Kim, she was breaking boundaries of Women in R&B and Rap. How many artist do you know promote safe sex by wearing comdoms on your glasses?

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Gerry Rafferty, a great song writer and perfomer best known for Baker Street but his other work is well worth a listen.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gwen Stefani was the first person who came to my mind. I feel like I should say Kylie but I think most people see it.
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Courtney Love. If people look beyond her strange behaviour and ludicrous antics (though I guess this is what makes 'her' in a sense) Live Through This & Celebrity Skin are two amazing Alternative Rock records, both highly acclaimed albums to, especially the first which in my opinion is a masterpiece.
  • RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cyndi Lauper

Great songwriter, singer, visually interesting, has experimented with different styles of music.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Courtney Love. If people look beyond her strange behaviour and ludicrous antics (though I guess this is what makes 'her' in a sense) Live Through This & Celebrity Skin are two amazing Alternative Rock records, both highly acclaimed albums to, especially the first which in my opinion is a masterpiece.

Courtney Love will always be in Cobains shadow, for me shes not an icon but each to there own.
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Courtney Love will always be in Cobains shadow, for me shes not an icon but each to there own.

I don't consider her an icon, more like an underrated one.. if that makes sense. I agree she'll probably be forever known as Cobain's mental wife but her band Hole have made some amazing albums over the years. Great lyricist too, only have to look at a song like Doll Parts to see what a great writer she is. Though I understand your point.
  • LostIslands_LostIslands_ Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gwen Stefani - Before the likes of Hayley Williams and Avril Lavigne, Gwen was the ultimate Rock chick of the 90's. Her quirky style, her unique voice and her creative songwriting led to the birth of No Doubt and then her own solo career. But Gwen knew how not to be too controversial and still kept it real. Her infamous Blue Hair, the Harajuku girls and the huge brand that is LAMB, I personally feel Gwen will very much be remembered in Pop/Rock Culture.

Agree, but with the new ND album this summer maybe she'll see some recognition? Not just Gwen but Tony, Adrian and Tom too! :D

I'd like to add Debbie Harry to the list. It constantly baffles me as to why she doesn't get the recognition she deserves. She's become somewhat of an underground icon, but she deserves far more. Amazing woman.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Agree, but with the new ND album this summer maybe she'll see some recognition? Not just Gwen but Tony, Adrian and Tom too! :D

I'd like to add Debbie Harry to the list. It constantly baffles me as to why she doesn't get the recognition she deserves. She's become somewhat of an underground icon, but she deserves far more. Amazing woman.

Agreed - without Debbie there'd be no Madonna
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    P!nk.

Need i say more?
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I have quite a list

Pioneering female singer-songwriters like Cyndi Lauper, Linda Ronstadt and Pat Benatar are all too often overlooked for their male counterparts- case in point the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubbing all three (very unfairly!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Mary J Blige
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Gabriel.

He's really never been fashionable (he'll never win the Brit Award for outstanding contribution for example), but he's had a profound and lasting impact on music mainly behind the scenes for most of his career, has done more to promote music from around the world than most of the rest of the music business put together, and does at least as much for humanitarian causes as Bob Geldof and Bono but without the same kind of profile in the media.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Ian Curtis of Joy Division and Morrissey of The Smiths:D
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Pet Shop Boys are very underrated I think. Their 'discography' album is packed full of classics
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry, but there are a lot of people that have been mentioned that there very much rated both in terms of commercial success and critical acclaim.:o i am racking my brains trying to come up with someone more appropriate, but i really cant think of someone. if an artist reaches a certain level of commercial success at some point during their career or they achieve critical acclaim, then surely they are rated?
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    just wondering, but how can an icon be underrated?
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    sorry, but there are a lot of people that have been mentioned that there very much rated both in terms of commercial success and critical acclaim.:o i am racking my brains trying to come up with someone more appropriate, but i really cant think of someone. if an artist reaches a certain level of commercial success at some point during their career or they achieve critical acclaim, then surely they are rated?

That's why I chose Peter Gabriel. Although he had quite a bit of commercial success a LONG time ago, he doesn't get the coverage a lot of other artists get (Morrissey, Paul Weller, Bob Dylan etc) and most people under the age of about 35 today in my experience have no idea who he is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna? I'd say she is very much overrated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just wondering, but how can an icon be underrated?
    Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    __3kerry wrote: »
    Rihanna? I'd say she is very much overrated.

I agree! I don't think she's ever out the papers

I'd say Kylie, been listening to loads of her music today, she's fantastic :cool:
  • StephenmarraStephenmarra Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rory Gallagher.
    Whenever he's hit the bigtime he hit the self destruct button, disappeared, changed direction and started again.
    He is revered by many of the Blues / Rock guitarists, past and present. Not so much the public, shame as they have missed one hell of a talented musian.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand how you can say Dusty was underrated. Back in her day she was as big as Adele is today and considered a British icon that conquered America.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tori Amos
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    I don't understand how you can say Dusty was underrated. Back in her day she was as big as Adele is today and considered a British icon that conquered America.

Dusty In Memphis (considered her best album) didn't chart over here and she was ignored from 1969-1987. Her 70's output is great - esp See All Her Faces and Cameo albums.
    She's certainly one of the finest singers of all time - I just wish she was more successful in the 70's and beyond
  • StephenmarraStephenmarra Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »

Not true, back in the day people where into The Beatles and/or The Stones or Motown. Dusty was just not cool.Hindsight is a wonderful thing.