windows 8 and control panel

2»

Comments

• call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    In that case, I wouldn't go near Start 8 on principle, because it isn't free and it simply replaces essential functionality options that MS deliberately left out. It isn't better functionally than Classic Shell as the latter does it all. For those who think style is as important as functionality, perhaps it's worth considering but even then I wouldn't on principle pay for this kind of thing.

I tried to. I failed.

I won't be trying again unless and until they take it out of its current stable alpha desktop release into something approaching at least a decent release candidate quality. I find it to be simply dreadful on my desktop (but I'm sure it's great on a tablet).

I use it on a desktop......No problems.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I read somewhere that Search changes automatically depending on the context, for example when some apps are open on screen it searches for text within what they are displaying - is that right?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    I use it on a desktop......No problems.

That some use it on a desktop and like it isn't in doubt. The issue for those who who don't like Metro is that they don't have any Microsoft supported alternative.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    I thought I read somewhere that Search changes automatically depending on the context, for example when some apps are open on screen it searches for text within what they are displaying - is that right?

An app can implement several contracts, one of them is search, if it does then you can search within this app. That way charms can behave differently depending in what context they were opened. Typically you add your app settings to a settings charm.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    Thanks all for your replies. I did in fact manage to find my control panel yesterday evening by hovering around on the right of the screen and search was one of the options which came up. I clicked on it, and CP was a choice, so I managed to get into it. Trouble is, it's a bit hit and miss as to whether search, among the other options, comes up. I still prefer W7 , as sometimes when I want to close a page, I am not given the option to do so, and have to bring the desktop up, and open another IE. I did spend a few hours on it last night - in my experience, the best way to learn is just to play about with it yourself. That way, you learn where you are making mistakes, the faster way to find things, etc.

Right click when in IE to see all your tabs and there is an x you can click on each tab.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    An app can implement several contracts, one of them is search, if it does then you can search within this app. That way charms can behave differently depending in what context they were opened. Typically you add your app settings to a settings charm.

Far as I can see, the only difference is that the default search focus is on whatever app you are currently in.

Unless you're on the start screen then the default search focus is apps.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    That some use it on a desktop and like it isn't in doubt. The issue for those who who don't like Metro is that they don't have any Microsoft supported alternative.

I don't think Microsoft support half the additions I've downloaded for W7 and nothing has ever disappeared....I think it's a worry over nothing personally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Far as I can see, the only difference is that the default search focus is on whatever app you are currently in.

Unless you're on the start screen then the default search focus is apps.

The search charm delegates to the app to do the search, it's the same with all the others. So you have a unified way for all these functions and they are context aware.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    I don't think Microsoft support half the additions I've downloaded for W7 and nothing has ever disappeared....I think it's a worry over nothing personally.

If it uses only documented APIs it will keep working. MS does not break a documented functionality.