Shock results you never saw coming?

bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,927
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now England have been shocked by losing to the Netherlands it got me wondering what other results in World Sports you thought it won't Happen but did

Ireland beat Pakistan in the World cup a few years ago was big shock and I don't think anybody thought Ireland had a chance in that game:D

And North Korea beat Italy in the 1966 World cup was shock at the time as Italy were big Footballing powerhouse and at the time no one saw that coming:o

Comments

• Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Senegal beat France in the opening game of the 2002 world cup. That was a shocker.

Also in tennis, Nadal losing to Lukas Rosol at Wimbledon 2012, and Serena losing to Virginie Razzano at Roland-Garros of the same year. Both massive shocks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Now England have been shocked by losing to the Netherlands it got me wondering what other results in World Sports you thought it won't Happen but did

Of course, England v Netherlands doesn't count - everyone saw it coming.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Ireland beat Pakistan in the World cup a few years ago was big shock and I don't think anybody thought Ireland had a chance in that game:D

o

Nobody saw it coming except the people who had rigged the match.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Q for Grassmarket - would Jenny Jones's bronze be a (pleasant) shock or did she enter the competition with half-a-chance of a medal?

Although not a result, after 8.3 seconds San Marino 1, England 0 has to be the best 8.3 seconds of football ever in the history of everything! Oh, if only they could have hung on for the remaining 89 minutes 51.7 seconds!!
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Q for Grassmarket - would Jenny Jones's bronze be a (pleasant) shock or did she enter the competition with half-a-chance of a medal?
    !

Not really a huge shock, the Winter Olympics are a bit more random than the Summer ones, so anyone who has been in the world's top 10 has a chance of winning on the day. Even the famous Steve Bradbury gold was not that unexpected, the guy had had plenty good results before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really a huge shock, the Winter Olympics are a bit more random than the Summer ones, so anyone who has been in the world's top 10 has a chance of winning on the day. Even the famous Steve Bradbury gold was not that unexpected, the guy had had plenty good results before.

Ta! Of course, this year it could be argued that the Swiss team of Feltscher turning over the Canadians in the final (Worlds, not Olympics) on their turf (well, ice then) was a shock, I certainly didn't see that one coming. Now, if it had been Ott then fine!
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when Lleyton Hewitt got knocked out in the very first match of Wimbledon 2003. The only time in Wimbledon history in which the defending men's champion was knocked out in the first round.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Andy Murray winning Olympic gold was a pretty huge shock, considering most people thought he was finished after the Wimbledon Final that year.

Nadal going out to Darcis at last years Wimbledon in straights was something no-one saw coming, most people thought lightning couldn't striker twice in the same place.

The great Australian cricket team of the 2000's losing a ODI to Bangladesh in 2005.

Wigan beating Man City in the FA Cup Final.

Ivanisevic winning Wimbledon when he was ranked outside the top 100.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England beating the West Indies in Jamaica back in 1990 and almost winning the series.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/may/10/the-spin-england-west-indies
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    Andy Murray winning Olympic gold was a pretty huge shock, considering most people thought he was finished after the Wimbledon Final that year.

Nadal going out to Darcis at last years Wimbledon in straights was something no-one saw coming, most people thought lightning couldn't striker twice in the same place.

The great Australian cricket team of the 2000's losing a ODI to Bangladesh in 2005.

Wigan beating Man City in the FA Cup Final.

Ivanisevic winning Wimbledon when he was ranked outside the top 100.

Haha what?? He was third favourite, massive shock indeed. Loads had him down to win, it was clear he was going to be by far the most motivated out of everyone in his home olympics too and after Wimbledon. If we're deeming that a shock then there's a bloody sh1tload of examples that can be used for the thread
    Forum Member
    With tennis, Nadal has always had a beating coming to him in the early rounds at Wimbledon. Proper grass doesn't suit him at all. He's had more 5 setters v journeymen in week one at WImbledon than I care to remember, he was always bound to be caught soon

Wawrinka winning the AO and Bartoli winning W'don must be up there tennis-wise

Football- Greece, Porto winning in 2004. Senegal is a good shout above,

Rugby- Very few examples of recent in international rugby unfort. i guess France beating NZ in 99 was a shock in a way. Irl beating England in 01 and 04 was unexpected, "shock" is a strong word though.

There's been a fair few surprise major winners in golf.

Darts- Taylor going out to a relative nobody in the UK open this year. Losing to Gray and Callaby in the Grand Prix. Even losing to Smith in the WC this year

Snooker- Shaun Murphy's WC was fairly unexpected

Cricket- Irl v Pakistan is a great shout
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    With tennis, Nadal has always had a beating coming to him in the early rounds at Wimbledon. Proper grass doesn't suit him at all. He's had more 5 setters v journeymen in week one at WImbledon than I care to remember, he was always bound to be caught soon

Wawrinka winning the AO and Bartoli winning W'don must be up there tennis-wise

Football- Greece, Porto winning in 2004. Senegal is a good shout above,

Rugby- Very few examples of recent in international rugby unfort. i guess France beating NZ in 99 was a shock in a way. Irl beating England in 01 and 04 was unexpected, "shock" is a strong word though.

There's been a fair few surprise major winners in golf.

Darts- Taylor going out to a relative nobody in the UK open this year. Losing to Gray and Callaby in the Grand Prix. Even losing to Smith in the WC this year

Snooker- Shaun Murphy's WC was fairly unexpected

Cricket- Irl v Pakistan is a great shout

I reckon Denmark winning the Euros was a bigger shock as they didn't even qualify for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bradford reaching the League Cup Final last season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon Denmark winning the Euros was a bigger shock as they didn't even qualify for it.

Good shout! Actually, that's probably England cricket team's new tactic.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe Johnson winning the snooker and Becker winning Wimbledon. I realise he had won the tournament before (the Stella ?) but never expected him to win

Not sure if both the above were the same year ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James1953 wrote: »
    Joe Johnson winning the snooker and Becker winning Wimbledon. I realise he had won the tournament before (the Stella ?) but never expected him to win

Not sure if both the above were the same year ?

Actually one thing people do forget about Joe Johnson, even though an outsider with the bookies, is that he was actually a seed that year. And of course the following year he nearly did it again.

Phil Taylor when he won his first world darts title was 125/1 outsider. And of course Keith Deller.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually one thing people do forget about Joe Johnson, even though an outsider with the bookies, is that he was actually a seed that year. And of course the following year he nearly did it again.

Phil Taylor when he won his first world darts title was 125/1 outsider. And of course Keith Deller.

Didn't know that. Was he number one seed the following year as defending champion ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James1953 wrote: »
    Didn't know that. Was he number one seed the following year as defending champion ?

He was. He was seeded 16 when he won it. No first time winner has ever won it again the next year, he has come closest by being runner up the following year.
  • Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasim Rahman's KO of Lennox Lewis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was. He was seeded 16 when he won it. No first time winner has ever won it again the next year, he has come closest by being runner up the following year.

Thanks
    Forum Member

Yeah that was mad!

While it wasn't a win or even a draw, San Marino almost recording a famous draw vs Ireland in 07 must be a shout? A team of part-timers were seconds from claiming a point off a team filled with Premier league players
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Haha what?? He was third favourite

Yes, but most people thought he was finished after the heartbreaking 2012 Wimbledon Final. People were saying it was his last hurrah, and he'd go the same way Roddick did after the 2009 Final. I know he was only 25, but a gut wrenching defeat can take time to get over.

It wasn't the biggest upset of all-time, but it was still a shock win that no-one saw coming.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,595
    Forum Member
    Sheffield Eagles beating Wigan in the 1998 Rugby League Challenge Cup Final.
    I doubt many predicted the 2004 Champions League final which was Porto v Monaco.
    Everton winning the 1995 FA Cup the semi final which they battered a good Spurs side 4-1 was, as much of a shock as the final.
    2010-11 The Ashes, doubt many would have thought England would batter Australia, winning 3 tests by an innings especially after Strauss got out on the 3rd ball, & England finished on 260 all out.
  • tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Leigh beating leeds in the 1971 challenge cup final

then in 1981-82 beating this lot to win the first division

1 Leigh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,30,,,,,,,49
    2 Hul,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,30,,,,,,,47
    3 Widnes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 30,,,,,,,47
    4Hull KR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,30,,,,,,,45
    5 Bradford N,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 30,,,,,,,41
    6 Leeds,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 30,,,,,,35
    7 St Helens,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,30,,,,,,35
    8 Warrington,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 30,,,,,,30
    9 Barrow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 30,,,,,,26
    10 Featherstone R,,,, 30,,,,,,25
    11 Wigan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 30,,,,,,24
    12 Castleford,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 30,,,,,,21
    13Fulham,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 30,,,,,,19
    14Wakefield Trinity,,,, 30,,,,,,19
    15York,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 30,,,,,10
    16 Whitehaven,,,,,,,,,,,, 30,,,,,7
    Forum Member
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    Yes, but most people thought he was finished after the heartbreaking 2012 Wimbledon Final. People were saying it was his last hurrah, and he'd go the same way Roddick did after the 2009 Final. I know he was only 25, but a gut wrenching defeat can take time to get over.

It wasn't the biggest upset of all-time, but it was still a shock win that no-one saw coming.

He did lose 3 GS finals before that you know in far more devastating fashion? And "bounced back"

Just because you didn't see it coming doesn't mean no-one did. He made a final on centre court a few weeks before, he went one further this time. Still haven't gotten over the shock myself ;)

On those grounds I'd have to say Federer winning Wimbledon 2012 must be up there as a shock?