Happy Birthday Playstation 2!!!

OneManTagTeamOneManTagTeam Posts: 3,943
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's been 10 years (Friday 24th November 2000) since the launch of the Playstation 2 in Europe!! (:eek:)

What was your favourite memories of owning one?

Mine was playing GTA 3 for the first time, never experience anything like it before

Comments

• darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    My best memory is James Bond Nightfire, sneaking around, jumping off cliffs it's just amazing.

If they remade it in HD it would be a day one buy!!!

Also another game has to be GTA San Andreas.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Interesting enough, EuroGamer has an article on it, some brilliant stuff gets mentioned, for example, did you know Sony originally picked up State of Emergency BEFORE Grand Theft Auto III, and that Grand Theft Auto III was thrown in cheaply on the side of that deal? Amazing how that turned out.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Best memories of PS2? Playing GTA 3, GTA: VC and GTA: SA for the first times. Tekken 5 kicking Tekken 4's rear end and getting the series back onto top form. Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank games were always a nice treat. The sleek Gran Turismo 4 was a great game that shocked me with its size. The Sims: Bustin Out, which remains my favourite of the console-unique iterations. :) Oh and the underrated Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis. ;)

Love you PS2! :D
  • OneManTagTeamOneManTagTeam Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot about State of Emergency! At the time it was incredible to have so many characters on screen at once. Modern equivalent I suppose would be something like Dead Rising
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I have to say that the greatest thing about the PS2 era was the GTA series. To have THAT much freedom in a game was jawdropping. Vice City is my favourite, I love that 80s Scarface/Miami Vice era, and San Andreas was great for pure scale. Also the Pro Evolution Soccer series was amazing in the PS2 days. On PS3/360 the series hasn't really managed to convince like it did back then.

Metal Gear Solid 3 was outstanding too, although I neveer really cared for MGS2 much due to the Raiden focus and THAT storyline. There was a lot of quality games on the PS2. Naturally we all know about Gran Turismo and GTA, God of War etc. but there were some great hidden gems like

Gitaroo Man
    God Hand
    Rez
    Fahrenheit
    Okami

And of course it was many people's first DVD player. It wasn't all positive though because the console always got Disc Read Errors, mainly due to its cheap parts. Some people I know re-bought the system, but I managed to get round the problem by buying one of those lens cleaner discs (essentially a blank CD with a fine brush stuck to it). Sticking that in once a month seemed to do the trick. Also i think Sony tried so hard to be cool with their advertising that they came across as pretentious. But overall a great console.
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ratchet and Clank is still one of my all time favourite systems. But playing the first one was just amazing for me (Sony do an HD collection please) The same is true of Jak and Daxter, although I didn't really like the direction it took after the first game.
    Other highlights are GTA3, God of War and Soul Calibur - all classics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Built in DVD player?? awesome! wait....why does The Matrix look green? ;)
  • TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been 10 years (Friday 24th November 2000) since the launch of the Playstation 2 in Europe!! (:eek:)

What was your favourite memories of owning one?

Mine was playing GTA 3 for the first time, never experience anything like it before
    Mine is exactly the same, GTA III
    I bought this without ever even seeing a review for it. Stuck it on on the Sunday morning and was there all day. I remember being gobsmacked at being allowed to go anywhere at any time!

Still love that game!
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Happy Birthday PS2.

PS2 was such a fantastic console and had amazing games the GTA series, MGS 2 & 3, Rachet and Clank etc etc.... and it was my 1st DVD player in my room :D

oh the Ps2 days were great.
  • FunctionFunction Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody hell ten years since I made some cock and bull story at work about me having a doctors appointment, shot straight to Comet where I had it on order, straight home, set it up, had a quick game of the footy game I got with it, I think it was ISS, and back to work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many memories on PS2 but top 5 (in no order):

1. Playing Smackdown 3 which was uber crap but awesome at the time and the first game I owned.
    2. Seeiung MGS2 for the first time and being amazed.
    3. Spending hours on GTA3 just on freeroam picking up hookers then killing them to get my money back :eek: :D
    4. God of War seemed mind blowing at the time graphically
    5. And of course the built in DVD player. DVD seemed to just be getting affordable at the time too so was a fantastic feature.
  • SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only played the Smackdown games.

I thought the PS2 was crap lol. :D

I hated gaming that Gen and just bought yearly Smackdowns, Tomb Raiders, and Lord Of The Rings. I played nothing else on that system.

The PS2/XBOX/GameCube era was a poor one for me. Much preferred the one before - and now my favourite one , the current.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated Xbox and seriously despised Gamecube but thats probably cos I was a diehard PS2 fanboy :eek: :D
  • SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated Xbox and seriously despised Gamecube but thats probably cos I was a diehard PS2 fanboy :eek: :D

I was soooo disappointed in Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Sunshine. . but Zelda Wind Waker made up for it. My favourite Zelda ever and the only game on Gamecube that I enjoyed. Enjoyed it 10 times more than anything on PS2 though.

How times have changed :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have never seen whats so special about Zelda tbh. Ex had a Gamecube and I took every opportunity to slag it off for no reason cos thats what fanboys do :D
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    Have never seen whats so special about Zelda tbh. Ex had a Gamecube and I took every opportunity to slag it off for no reason cos thats what fanboys do :D

I did that to my brother too:D I had a PS2 and he had a gamecube, every opportunity his console was being criticised;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did that to my brother too:D I had a PS2 and he had a gamecube, every opportunity his console was being criticised;)

I'm more open minded now days but I still favour PlayStation over all others if I'm honest ;)
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    omg Xbod sorry was utter crap looked so ugly aswel :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    I remember buying my PS2 in October 2001. First 2 games I bought were GTAIII and Gran Turismo 3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got mine on release day with Tekken Tag Tournament.
  • TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alfie2008 wrote: »
    I remember buying my PS2 in October 2001. First 2 games I bought were GTAIII and Gran Turismo 3.
    I bought mine in Oct 2001 too.
    It was the PS3 GT3 A-Spec Console Bundle and other games I picked up were Unreal Tournament and Tekken Tag Tournament.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my ps2 when the new slim version came out as I saw a special offer of £105 with Burnout 3 (revenge I think) not sure either what year it was:o

Anyway played Burnout 3 and 4 to death and also played timesplitters 1+2 which imo is one of the best games ever, especially when you play 4 player split screen and only have sniper rifles:D

To this day my ps2 is still going strong and gets the occasional playtime:cool:
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,714
    Forum Member
    I have my Slim PS2 setup in the dining room for when the missus or daughter want the main TV in the living room for crap like Glee or Cougar Town. I decided to play FFXII tonight on it. I'm loving the story of that game. I also have GT4 in there as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great memories.
    GTA3
    Devil may cry
    Timesplitters2
    To name just a few, to many to list, couldn't believe how small and quiet the slim was when i had to get one after my phat died (then oddly started working again)
    Oh cant forget Star Wars: Battlefront, can't even guess how many hours i put into multiplyer with my mates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Playing Kessen with the dual shock controller. Fantastic game.
    Also Playing Devil May Cry and being amazed by the graphics.