Gran Turismo 5

Comments

• pavenpaven Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    denzil28 wrote: »
    Well they do call it Gran Turismo The Real Driving Simulator and not Gran Turismo The Video Game.

Sorry I forgot, I often drive to work using a joypad ;)
  • LukeyboyLukeyboy Posts: 1,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally beat that VW bus race! :)
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn, this game is good. I'm on level 9 now, unlocked a few bits and pieces and really having a great time. Racing round the 'ring at great speed is brilliant fun, and buying and doing up your cars is awesome!

It really does get better and better the more you play and unlock. This game is going to take an age for me to totally unlock. Brilliant!

:) Mark
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For all those complaining about the music on menus.

CHANGE IT!

Go to the jukebox.

There's a huge array of music. Far too much in fact.

And you can choose which play on menus and which play in races.
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    For all those complaining about the music on menus.

CHANGE IT!

Go to the jukebox.

There's a huge array of music. Far too much in fact.

And you can choose which play on menus and which play in races.

Out of interest, can you turn the music off altogether in the races?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    got the game today before work. installing now. at last after 5 long years! cant wait
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon79 wrote: »

From memory - i think you can just set the BGM volume to zero.

Alternatively i suspect you'd be able to just remove all race BGM from the playlist.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elan Morin wrote: »
    got the game today before work. installing now. at last after 5 long years! cant wait

The install only takes another year. :)
    Be patient though installing as its counter is a bit on the wonky side.
  • TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good night, not done too much but get money so I could get my Civic completely upgraded - and I did it! Have now bought everything for it, racing mod engine upgrades etc. etc. Entered it in a supercar race on the Daytona Oval - and won! Only just, but beat Zondas, Porsches and Ferraris! It's going to be a shame to have to go to another car, but I'm running out of races to enter with it! Anyway, here it is my pride and joy...

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3229/kyotogion.jpg ;)
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon79 wrote: »

Yes i have all the music turned off completely everywhere in the game.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am loving the game but not being able to move saves between PS3s is very annoying, it means once everyone wants the main telly i cant carry on upstairs.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Something which is annoying me which I hadn't actually noticed at 1st is that the driving settings don't carry over from car to car or from test to test when going through those.

I hate using Traction Control, ABS & other aids so always turn them off. However when I do 1 special event for instance & turn off TC & ABC, There back on when I move onto the next one & have to once again be disabled in the pre-race menu. Why not just have an option in the main menu where you can turn them on or off without having to do so individually in each event or each time you get into a new car.

Another frustration is when going through the races in A-Spec & wanting to do a race which requires a different car. Having to go back through menu's to home screen, garage Etc.. is annoying when it occasionally takes so long for each screen to load. A system similar to Forza 3 would have been better.

For those who don't know in Forza 3 when you try & start a race in a car that doesn't mean the race requirements your automatically taken to your garage & shown what cars you own which meet the requirements for that specific race. Its a lot faster & a much more convienient way of doing it.

Something else which is starting to frustrate me is that in a lot of the cars you seem to get very little feel. I play a lot of PC sims & have also been playing Forza 3 a lot in recent months & with a steering wheel in these games you can really feel the grip levels changing, If it starts to slide you can feel it through the wheel & instinctively apply the right amount of opposite lock, if brakes lock you feel it through the wheel & modulate the brake pedal to stop the locking.

In GT5 it all seems to feel rather dead, The FFB from kurbs/bumps ETC.. is good but I got no feel from the car when it starts to slide or when brakes start to lock which is making is very difficult to feel what the cars doing & control it as I'd like.

At 1st I thought my wheel (Logitech driving force pro) wasn't working right but I plugged it into my PC & played some PC sims & it all felt perfect.

Another problem I've been having relates to braking. In some cars I've noticed that with ABS off as soon as I even slightly touch the brakes the rear wheels immediately start locking almost like i've applied the handbrake.

If I was slamming the brakes on hard I'd understand why I was having the problem, However when Im hardly touching the pedal & the brake indicator isn't even at a quarter I shoudn't be having that degree of locking.

Regardless of all that, Stats wise im upto level 16 & my overall progress is 19% completed.

I seem to be moving up the progress a ton faster than with GT4. From memory it took about a week to get to 19% on GT4 yet its only taken about 12 hours on GT5 & I don't think I've done quite as much in terms of races etc.. Maybe it won't take as long to get to 100% this time round? Not that I got to 100% on GT4, Did get to 100% on GT1/2/3 though :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another frustration is when going through the races in A-Spec & wanting to do a race which requires a different car. Having to go back through menu's to home screen, garage Etc.. is annoying when it occasionally takes so long for each screen to load. A system similar to Forza 3 would have been better.

The is a garage icon in the bottom right corner when you are going through the race series menus.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    ballybally wrote: »
    The is a garage icon in the bottom right corner when you are going through the race series menus.
    Thanks, Hadn't spotted that :o
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took the advice and disconnected my PS3 from the PSN last night, that really helped the load times.

Starting to enjoy this more now, but can someone tell me if it gets harder as you go on? Did the Sunday cup in a rather slow car (can't mind which one) and by the 3rd corner of each race I had passed everyone and was 10 seconds in the lead. Made for a rather boring race.

Did the Top Gear special event, on my first attempt I came 2nd and lost by only 0.003 seconds!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    postie been still no game for me :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: so angry right now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Has anyone managed to get the face recognition to work with the PS3 camera?

Can`t work out how to do it :(
  • WafcSeanWafcSean Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    still nothing for me too from shopto!!!
    I feel like running over to the postman and throwing a paddy :\

In all honesty, the chances are it has gotten lost for me, postman camde this morning with a parcel, i got excited only to find it was my Magic Mouse i ordered on Wednesday
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Something else which is starting to frustrate me is that in a lot of the cars you seem to get very little feel. I play a lot of PC sims & have also been playing Forza 3 a lot in recent months & with a steering wheel in these games you can really feel the grip levels changing, If it starts to slide you can feel it through the wheel & instinctively apply the right amount of opposite lock, if brakes lock you feel it through the wheel & modulate the brake pedal to stop the locking.

Have you tried adjusting the FFB setting for the wheel, I think it defaults to 5 bu t you can increase to 10.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to find yesterday that all the game hanging and loading problems vanished. It seems like a lot of the problems are already sorted out and there was a message in the news section of the game that it was down to traffic issues.

Apparently a patch on December 1st will fix multiplayer.
  • jubalcjubalc Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    WafcSean wrote: »
    still nothing for me too from shopto!!!
    I feel like running over to the postman and throwing a paddy :\

In all honesty, the chances are it has gotten lost for me, postman camde this morning with a parcel, i got excited only to find it was my Magic Mouse i ordered on Wednesday

I received mine from shopto on Tuesday. Strange that they are late....

Give them a call...01344 4040773.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to do the top gear track.... so infuriating haha
  • chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    From memory - i think you can just set the BGM volume to zero.

Alternatively i suspect you'd be able to just remove all race BGM from the playlist.

The music library is pretty comprehensive. For anyone who's not been into it yet, there's a couple of hundred tracks that can be flagged as R, M or S. R= Race, M=Menu, S=Slideshow.

Most of the classical is set to slideshow only, rock etc is for race, and the easy listening is for the menus. I changed quite a lot of the rock and electro stuff to be on the menu and it's changed the feel of the menus immensely.

You can also set the race BGM to be your custom mp3s. And you get a trophy for doing that also.

I would have liked custom mp3s to be played in the menu as well, not just the race. Maybe a future patch...
  • chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to find yesterday that all the game hanging and loading problems vanished. It seems like a lot of the problems are already sorted out and there was a message in the news section of the game that it was down to traffic issues.

Apparently a patch on December 1st will fix multiplayer.

I think it all boils down to the fact everything in this game is linked into the community aspect, so you can see everything each of your friends is up to.

I cannot understand though why the game has to pause waiting for the response from the servers. Surely when you are browsing the menus, tuning cars and stuff it's not using too much PS3 power and it could be transmitting the stats to the server as a background thread then.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    The music library is pretty comprehensive. For anyone who's not been into it yet, there's a couple of hundred tracks that can be flagged as R, M or S. R= Race, M=Menu, S=Slideshow.

Most of the classical is set to slideshow only, rock etc is for race, and the easy listening is for the menus. I changed quite a lot of the rock and electro stuff to be on the menu and it's changed the feel of the menus immensely.

You can also set the race BGM to be your custom mp3s. And you get a trophy for doing that also.

I would have liked custom mp3s to be played in the menu as well, not just the race. Maybe a future patch...

That's good to know thanks. I will go about changing the menu music tonight. A lot of the race music I actually like and already own so I was pleased to hear a lot of my fav tracks on it. In fact I actually saw one of the artists at a gig the other week so was nice to see it on there. :)
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    I think it all boils down to the fact everything in this game is linked into the community aspect, so you can see everything each of your friends is up to.

I cannot understand though why the game has to pause waiting for the response from the servers. Surely when you are browsing the menus, tuning cars and stuff it's not using too much PS3 power and it could be transmitting the stats to the server as a background thread then.

The code really should have been written so that after a short period of time if there is no response from the server it times out and continues loading the menus. Instead of sitting there for up to 5min while it's trying to communicate with the servers.

I guess the patch is going to fix this, hopefully.