Whole Disk Encryption

Anybody used "TrueCrypt" the freeware whole disk encryption software? Any hiccups or problems or is it pretty good?

Comments

• user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elrond wrote: »
    Anybody used "TrueCrypt" the freeware whole disk encryption software? Any hiccups or problems or is it pretty good?

I've used TrueCrypt WDE in the past and it works brilliantly :)

Make sure you create the rescue disk and keep is safe.

I made my log in screen look like there was no OS on the HDD so if anyone stole my notebook they'd think it was broken without trying to access my data :D
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have TrueCrypt across our system for staff using pen drives. It seems pretty decent and doesn't have any issues.
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've used truecrypt to create a virtual volume and no problems.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    I've used if for a few years without any issues.

Start off by creating a simple file-based virtual disk until you're familiar with the program, and then proceed to encrypting a partition or whole disk.

As with all encrypted data, even more care should be taken in ensuring everything is safely backed up.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    I've used if for a few years without any issues.

Start off by creating a simple file-based virtual disk until you're familiar with the program, and then proceed to encrypting a partition or whole disk.

As with all encrypted data, even more care should be taken in ensuring everything is safely backed up.

Do you encrypt your backups?

I've always been scared to.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Do you encrypt your backups?

I've always been scared to.

That's the dilemma, isn't it? If you encrypt your backups using the same method as your data, you risk losing it all if anything goes wrong with the process (or if you're dumb enough to forget the password).