The Missing

Comments

• jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly thanks for clearing up what the round thing was in the last show, When Tony said he knew whose it was, I couldn't suss out what it was to even guess who it could have been!

So Just a few thoughts rattling around my head. Is there any significance to what happened and Mark's son? After all, Emily thought he was Ollie and I assume we were meant to believe he was similar looking to Ollie. Is this just a case of it's one of the reasons why Emily would be attracted to Mark, as she gets a surrogate son to mother with Ollie gone? Or is there more to it? Also why did Mark bring his kid along when he was working? To me Mark is suspicious but that maybe because when I've seen the actor in a few other shows, he tends to be 'dodgy geezer' character to me!!!

Is there any relevance to Malik and his kid being sick? I know he only gave info to Mark after he was threatened but am wondering if in the last eppy, he might help fill some gaps for Baptiste and Tony. A kind of has a kid, has first hand worry and pain of his kid being sick and therefore has some empathy? Again not seeing why his kid would be sick, if there was no point to it, but maybe there wasn't and Malik's use to the storyline is now over.

Garrett and Bourg must be involved. They have big chunks of SL, especially Bourg to only have relevance as paedophiles. I'm wondering if Bourg did abduct Ollie on behalf of Garrett, but only passed him on or left him in the cellar, so really is in the dark about what happened to Ollie after that

I think maybe the medal or whatever it was may have been planted. If the theories on here are right and it belongs to Alain. Just think the cop who went to prison (can't think of his name) is dodgy and therefore planting evidence wouldn't be beyond him.

Apart from a few other not very interesting thoughts, that's about it from me I actually quite liked the jumping backwards and forwards in time. I like that something gets mentioned in the show present day and we get to see what that was about from the flashbacks. For a show that has so many angles, I thought it made it easier to get all the angles this way, but maybe that's just me!

Have to admit, I thought the story needed a little more pace at times, but saying that I have enjoyed this, looking forward to the finale.
  • LucyDTrymLucyDTrym Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there was a BBC trailer for The missing last night and it showed someone being dragged away by police and i think Tony and his ex watching...i couldnt see clearly who it was......

I really think the Key is Vincent. I think the story was made complicated to fit 8 episodes and when we come down to it in the end it will be as simple as that........

I have been saying Baptiste, tongue in cheek, as there is something about him I am not sure of but i think it comes down to several relationships in the end being on dodgy ground......and i hope several relationships repair themselves....

Sadly Vincent was abused by his father, and Garrat was abused by his grandfather....and so the circle keeps revolving.

There is obviously some good in Vincent as he is desperately trying to get well. I am thinking right now he took the boy.....for Garrat and after what he did felt so horrified by it he sickened himself because he became a monster like Garrat but was scared for his mothers life....who was his mother perhaps someone who had been taken by a ring who had him whilst she was in slavery?? We dont know what happened to Molly do we? Perhaps she was abused and had a child....Vincent........who knows.....it happens in families, girls are kept as sex objects and even the mothers allow it.

I am not sure Mary was his mother as it doesnt quite make sense. I think though that Garrat knew Vincent from a very early age and I think it was Garrat who was like a father to him was abusing Vincent.

Garrat told Tony he didnt take his son, well he didnt not technically he was taken for him. Lets face it anyone who has over 50 tapes of children being abused, the odds of it being him are pretty stacked up....I think even Garratt had enough of being a monster and knew by confessing all this to Tony, Tony would kill him as he was a coward himself (monsters like him usually are afraid to kill themselves).

The sobriety medal doesnt have a name on it, and it could easily belong to anyone. Tony is very quick to come to conclusions, and he isnt or wasnt always right, and to be honest, I dont like him I think he is a murderer regardless of what or who he kills......

I think there was a ring and it will evolve several players, The Mayor, and the owners of the hotel...garratt and the Romanians.....and a few others lol....thats it folks lol.............
  • BurrercupBurrercup Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Well done for noticing that, and thanks for the info about Robert Johnson. I wonder, then, if Tony will eventually have to do a "deal with the devil" to find out the truth?
    Good point. In reality Tony should not get away with Garrett's murder. Sadly I do not thinking we will find Ollie alive but perhaps Tony will have to confess in order to get answers and closure for him and Emily.
  • gerry23gerry23 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I'm really not sure about Vincent's involvement. They've tried to write some "good" into him in that he recognises his personal issues and seems desperate to be treated, but he has said on several occasions "I look but I don't touch". I kind of believe him.

On the other hand, I could be entirely wrong!
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Are the episodes in America shown after they are shown here?
  • flirtythirty76flirtythirty76 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Are the episodes in America shown after they are shown here?

Yes American showing is behind UK
  • BurrercupBurrercup Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Rethinking "making a deal with the devil" . More likely making a deal with the abducters - whoever they may be!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    mjm1000 wrote: »
    .....Also although no freeze frame in the world will confirm it for me as Karl goes into the house he walks straight past the mayor who is walking the other way. No sign of him walking in the street just before so he must have come from the house.....
    Your are absolutely right about the Mayor!

Look at this picture of the back of the Mayors head http://www.flickr.com/photos/creaturesinstitches/16009980035/

- He has a very distinctive dark patch between the grey. Also, the style of his tailored jacket has a back flap.

This picture from the scene where someone passes Sieg: http://www.flickr.com/photos/creaturesinstitches/15823967679/

- The same hair shape, ears and dark patch. The jacket is of the same tailored style with the back flap.

So we know that the Mayor was definitely on the scene just before the clear up at the very least!
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LucyDTrym wrote: »
    there was a BBC trailer for The missing last night and it showed someone being dragged away by police and i think Tony and his ex watching...i couldnt see clearly who it was......
    Haven't seen the clip but saw the pic that was posted earlier.

I think it's Leon, Rini's brother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been thinking about Monique.

Are we sure that Tony was romantically involved with her for that one night? It was Monique who made a bee- line for him. They chatted, got on, and he helped her carry her paintings back to her apartment, stayed the night and slept on the sofa? (Probably not. :p)

I'd like to know why she paints children? Is she commissioned by someone? Does she paint from memory or do the children pose for her?
    They're all monochrome, I wonder why, maybe that's her style.
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so sure we can believe a word Sieg has said. the writers went out there way to portray him as a nasty piece of work who has no decency or conscience, the way he is sat face to face taking advantage of the couple by treating himself to a lovely meal ,while showing absolutely no consideration or feelings to the pain Ollies parents are suffering showed his true character.,
    Yet were supposed to believe he didn't think it was right to remove all traces of Ollie.
    Makes you wonder why he is not scared stiff to implicate the Caid de Citadel as he must know he's a dead man if they find out.
    Am still not convinced he is telling the full truth about what happened in the house and he is trying to distance himself from the crime. there are just too many contradictions to work it all out, hopefully it will be slowly revealed on Tuesday, i wouldn't be surprised if Sieg has done a runner by now. he knows he is going to have the Caid de Citadel and the police coming after him, it seems you can put an argument up why every person is innocent or involved, think the reason Mary went mad is she read the script, be joining her soon.:confused:
  • Weenie_StixWeenie_Stix Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Freeze frame the scene with the blood in the basement, it looks like a folded tshirt the same as both Ollie and Mark's son were wearing, green with a pattern on it.

Seig asked for 15k which is exactly what Emily and Mark had. Did he know this already, why not asj for 20k, 30k or more seeing as Tony was so desperate for information.

Why did Emily and Tony always have two televisions on in the hotel room and still the broken tv wasn't taken out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    Not so sure we can believe a word Sieg has said. the writers went out there way to portray him as a nasty piece of work who has no decency or conscience, the way he is sat face to face taking advantage of the couple by treating himself to a lovely meal ,while showing absolutely no consideration or feelings to the pain Ollies parents are suffering showed his true character.,
    Yet were supposed to believe he didn't think it was right to remove all traces of Ollie.
    Makes you wonder why he is not scared stiff to implicate the Caid de Citadel as he must know he's a dead man if they find out.
    Am still not convinced he is telling the full truth about what happened in the house and he is trying to distance himself from the crime. there are just too many contradictions to work it all out, hopefully it will be slowly revealed on Tuesday, i wouldn't be surprised if Sieg has done a runner by now. he knows he is going to have the Caid de Citadel and the police coming after him, it seems you can put an argument up why every person is innocent or involved, think the reason Mary went mad is she read the script, be joining her soon.:confused:
    I agree, I think Seig's lying about something. Aren't most of the Caid de Citadel locked up except for Leon?
    So, Is Seig working for Leon or Leon working for Sieg?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, I think Seig's lying about something. Aren't most of the Caid de Citadel locked up except for Leon?
    So, Is Seig working for Leon or Leon working for Sieg?

I doubt if most of the Caid de Citadel are locked up as they are supposed to be powerful with connections.
    ive no idea how it can be worked out with the information we have now to be honest. how did they get in the house and why that particular house,, they must have had a key, and they knew it was empty. does that bring in Garrett who may have done building work in the past and kept a spare key or maybe Sieg cleaned the house not long before the couple went away and been given the key and in conversation they mention they are going away in a few days., why were the couple away, was it a holiday or work being done, they only say they were away. Think it is a very important part of the plot as whoever abducted Ollie must have had a key and knew the house would be empty.
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember the last time i was so involved in a drama.

I'm kind of resigned to accepting that the ending might be a bit if a fudge, but to me the journey has been so absorbing, that the destination can get away with being a bit disappointing.

Re the Baptiste Bateau- I believe the builders of the Costa Concordia are renaming their latest even bigger boat...
  • ktboilsktboils Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Please excuse me if this has already been mentioned but I've just been rewatching episode one and Ollie isn't wearing the yellow scarf when he goes missing from the bar and Tony finds his backpack and snorkel abandoned so how come the yellow scarf ends up at the holding house?

I'm confused! Or is it I just need to book my ticket on board the Mary Garrett Love Boat?
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ktboils wrote: »
    Please excuse me if this has already been mentioned but I've just been rewatching episode one and Ollie isn't wearing the yellow scarf when he goes missing from the bar and Tony finds his backpack and snorkel abandoned so how come the yellow scarf ends up at the holding house?

I'm confused! Or is it I just need to book my ticket on board the Mary Garrett Love Boat?

The scarf has been the subject of much conjecture, and is still not clear.

It's on the (very long) list of Questions We Need Answered in The Final Episode (which needs to be about 4 hours long)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time i was so involved in a drama.

I'm kind of resigned to accepting that the ending might be a bit if a fudge, but to me the journey has been so absorbing, that the destination can get away with being a bit disappointing.

Re the Baptiste Bateau- I believe the builders of the Costa Concordia are renaming their latest even bigger boat...
    :)
    If any Americans are reading this thread they must be very confused,
    No idea of the plot and wondering why a load of strangers are agreeing to go a boat trip together, nutters. :)
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LucyDTrym wrote: »
    The sobriety medal doesnt have a name on it, and it could easily belong to anyone. Tony is very quick to come to conclusions, and he isnt or wasnt always right, and to be honest, I dont like him I think he is a murderer regardless of what or who he kills......

I think there was a ring and it will evolve several players, The Mayor, and the owners of the hotel...garratt and the Romanians.....and a few others lol....thats it folks lol.............

The medal is inscribed with the Roman Numerals XII though, and twelve years fits the number of years Alain had been on the wagon in 2006.
    I think it belonged to Alain, and he was involved. From what we've seen of him, ha doesn't seem the sharpest knife in the box. I think he was given a job to do and blundered badly. That earned him a smacking around, and it's his blood on the medal. Didn't Sylvie say he was very proud of his medals, probably carried the latest one around in his pocket. He's probably not a paedophile, just a dumb guy who is easily manipulated. Sylvie has always run the hotel, I'm still not sure about her place in all of it.
  • L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feeling daunted by the number of posts in this thread? Can't keep up with all the theories? Never fear! The Daily Mail have kindly read through them all & written up a handy summary. isn't that kind of them? ;-)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2872459/Whodunit-Missing-prepares-thrilling-climax-CHRISTOPHER-STEVENS-turns-detective-try-bottom-smash-hit-kidnap-TV-series-gripped-nation.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Maybe who ever gives out the medal is the one who dropped it rather than the actual owner ? Maybe Alain was due to receive it at his meeting but never actually got given it ? Maybe Ollie was snatched by Vincent but escaped and ran into the forest ( hence the shots in the trailer of him running thru the woods) he then witnesses the Caid gang and the mayor upto something and somehow gets killed ??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    If, as some people are suggesting, there's a camera in the tv in their hotel - they would have also filmed Tony confessing to murdering Ian Garrett.
  • hickenhicken Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jende wrote: »
    Is there any relevance to Malik and his kid being sick? I know he only gave info to Mark after he was threatened but am wondering if in the last eppy, he might help fill some gaps for Baptiste and Tony. A kind of has a kid, has first hand worry and pain of his kid being sick and therefore has some empathy? Again not seeing why his kid would be sick, if there was no point to it, but maybe there wasn't and Malik's use to the storyline is now over.

To add to the theme of 'fathers and sons' I think, nothing more.
  • Weenie_StixWeenie_Stix Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    We never actually see what the evidence is until Mark opens the envelope in front of Baptiste and co. which made me suspect Mark could have switched it, but how do we know what Malik gave Mark is the same thing Ziane gave him, he could have switched it himself before giving it to Mark.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feeling daunted by the number of posts in this thread? Can't keep up with all the theories? Never fear! The Daily Mail have kindly read through them all & written up a handy summary. isn't that kind of them? ;-)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2872459/Whodunit-Missing-prepares-thrilling-climax-CHRISTOPHER-STEVENS-turns-detective-try-bottom-smash-hit-kidnap-TV-series-gripped-nation.html

Yes, covers a lot of bases, useful for reference. They do bring up about Tony's previous job, which we haven't discussed much here. I hadn't taken much notice of Baptiste saying to Tony that you don't have jurisdiction here. I probably thought I'd misheard and Baptiste was referring to himself. If that's indeed what he said to Tony, it's a strange thing to say to an ordinary civilian ?