The Missing

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    What does the mechanic say to Emily at the end of episode 4? He says something in French, and then he boils it down to meaning "bad luck" in English when Emily doesn't understand. Maybe there's a clue in the original French sentence?

The garage seems to be important for a couple of reasons:

1. The white-haired mechanic who playfully jabs at Ollie could well be the man at the pool. More resemblance than with Sieg, in my opinion.

2. The drawing is left in the car for both the mechanics and others to see, and therefore could be copied and drawn by someone else than Ollie, for instance in the basement, as a red herring (although I don't know why anyone would)

3. The break-down of the car just outside of Chalons du Bois is shown to be an accident (unless Tony uses his time on the phone to rig the car, but there seems to be very little time for that - even less time than the pennandtelleresque vanishing of the Duchamps kid in 2009 - and, of course, why would Tony be involved?). But, the fact that they in essence are told to stay for the day in Chalons Du Bois, specifically Hotel L'Eden, by the mechanic - and it surprises Tony that it can't just be fixed in an hour or so - may be part of a bigger plan.

4. In one of the later episodes, I forget which, we see a billboard advertising Garage Lapointe as the dominant background when Tony and Emily walk by. Nothing weird about a local billboard, of course, but the dominant framing seems ... less than accidental.

Something points to Lapointe.
  • welshnannywelshnanny Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    According to the Starz website,the Missing has already been nominated for 2 Golden Globe awards,Best TV movie or mini series and Best actress for Frances O'Connor.
  • flirtythirty76flirtythirty76 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    stub71 wrote: »
    There's an extension for Chrome called Hola Better Internet which allows you to change your location to the US, so you can watch the trailer. There may well be something similar for other browsers, or you can use a private proxy to hide that you're from the UK.

Regarding the scenes in the trailer:
    The wedding scene to me suggests Emily and Mark get married in the end, therefore, Mark is not responsible for Ollie's death. The scene looks similar to the one on the bridge where Emily saw Ollie, so I think, unfortunately, the little lad is dead.

Watching one of the scenes in the woods, I notice that the boy is filmed from behind and has different clothes to what Ollie was wearing when he disappeared. I have no idea what it means, but it looked like the boy was running towards someone he knew.

Personally I think the paedophile link is a red herring and Ollie wandered off from the bar, saw something he wasn't supposed to and was taken by criminals in panic. Ollie escapes from the house he is being held in, and goes into the woods. From there, who knows? Perhaps he just disappears and is never seen again. Perhaps he is killed by accident? It's been nearly impossible so far to second guess what's going to happen next, so I'm prepared for anything!

Thanks Stub71 ;-)
  • Sclark78Sclark78 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    elvisavis wrote: »
    What does the mechanic say to Emily at the end of episode 4? He says something in French, and then he boils it down to meaning "bad luck" in English when Emily doesn't understand. Maybe there's a clue in the original French sentence?

He says "Savez, c'est des choses qui arrivent, sans aucune raison"

"You know, these things happen, for no reason"
  • Frank EFrank E Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    BirdyBee wrote: »
    I don't think this is a spoiler, just a comment on something else in the BBC's evidence trail. But spoilered in case anyone has not looked at the trail and prefers not to know:
    And if Vincent Bourg has campylobacter, then isn't that 'just' food poisoning? Why would the doctor want to stop his treatment?

I noted that several pages ago and the RBC/WBCs in Bourg's urine. Campylobacter [jejuni] commonly colonises (but less commonly causes disease in) birds and the main human vector of infection is fresh chicken. These days it affects are more of consumers who are rural, reasonably well off and people who work with birds. He stated to the Doctor that there was a bug going round work but this was negated by the Dr. It was more common across all socioeconomic groups when milk was delivered to the door in foil-topped bottle and birds pecked it. Public health departments do test purchases of fresh chicken from retailers and food outlets to test for Campylobacter colonies.

Someone short of WBCs will leave fewer DNA traces. RBCs don't have nuclei.

I wondered if she was Shanice but someone has posted a different statement with contiguous text from Halpern indication the assault evidence is from a different Halpern who was allegedly assaulted by someone called Kwame. Someone was just hastily looking for something against any Greg Halpern to submit as a smokescreen, someone who could access UK PNC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I have read the quote from the writers.

They say the answer is in the first hour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    That statement sounds like a teenager has given it-not a grown man. Very bizarre. Maybe he is a bit 'simple' which would suit his job as a porter. Not sure why Emily would be going round kissing someone who seems to lack intelligence...

That definitely sounds like a statement from a teenager. I don't know of anyone who'd hang around an estate in their 30s or 40s.

Maybe Tony and Greg's history goes way back to school days and Tony has assaulted Greg more than once.
  • ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And I've just tried to watch the first hour (because of theories on this thread!) and it's no longer available on i-player!

Bah!
    Forum Member
    Its on you tube
    The Missing - S01 E01 - Eden ᴴᴰ: http://youtu.be/7GB8RhGjoZ4
  • Sclark78Sclark78 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    I'm watching the first episode again and in the opening scene in the bar Tony spots a young lad and says "I have a son his age" and the boy looks at him in a rather odd way... I wonder if that's the boy?
  • lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Stuart-
    Much appreciated. :)

Edit:.....and lorry!
  • gerry23gerry23 Posts: 403
    Forum Member

He actually says "it's very true to the first hour that you see", which I'm not sure is the same as the answer is in the first hour.

We shall see!
  • CubicEyesCubicEyes Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    BirdyBee wrote: »
    I know it has been mentioned before, but why is Greg Halpern's witness statement dated 2004? It's on the 'follow the evidence trail', but I was able to read it more clearly here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheMissing_STZ/status/541396921576067072/photo/1

It doesn't seem to make sense to me. I thought Tony beat him up?

The report and the sheet with the diagram of the injuries don't seem to belong together. The report seems to be about a much earlier fight in which Kwame was hurt, not Greg.

The report seems to be about something that happened when a bunch of bored teenagers were hanging around on an estate in Perivale. One of them is 'Emily Hughes' - is she really likely to already be married to Tony at that young age?

Another of the group is just called 'Tony', and the sentence after that seems to suggest that this Tony is female: 'Tony arrived very hungry............ She's always around'.

This Tony seems to be somebody else altogether from the Tony whom Emily eventually marries (if she does?) and who does indeed beat Greg up some years later, in 2004.
  • hattyhatty Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Enjoying the thread and going as mad as everyone else...

I've not seen it discussed yet, but is anyone else suspicious of the relationship between the mayor and his niece? It might be nothing but the way he talked about going for a drink with her reminded me of the way Garrett talked about Molly (as if it was a loving relationship rather than abuse). I wondered if perhaps the mayor had abused his niece for a long time and then Alain found out? That might be what drove Alain to drink because he had failed to protect his daughter and also failed to bring his brother to justice because of his position. All he could do was send his daughter away.

Of course even if that theory is right, I don't see quite how it fits, but it's just something that struck me when I first saw the conversation - though nothing seems to have followed on from it (apart from the fact that we might have seen the hotel where they used to drink in the 2009 episode. There can't be that many hotels in Chalon.)
  • CubicEyesCubicEyes Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    The man in brown who turns twice towards the camera at 18:33 mins or so into episode 1 still sort of looks familiar to me, though I can't place him. Anyone else think the same, or is it just my Handsome Bloke Radar going berserk?
  • dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember the missing 9 minutes Baptiste questioned Tony about? Been thinking - could this be the time that Ollie had been away from Tony's grasp in the bar but Tony didn't realise it as he was too engrossed in the football. In Tony's mind he walked in holding Ollies hand then moments later Ollie had gone. Those 9 minutes would give a lot more opportunity for Ollie to wander off and get distracted by someone who had his scarf (found or stolen in the cafe earlier). The flashback we see is based on Tony's recollection and not quite the actual timeline maybe.
    Can't understand why no one at the bar sat outside was even interviewed. Someone would have seen something surely.
    Forum Member
    Its the scarf that gets me. We see emily luring olly playfully with it and last see it hanging out of her bag in the bar. Olly wasnt wearing it like tony said. And what happened to the bag. He finds it then leaves it when looking for him in the loos. Have i missed the explanation on this. But he wasnt wearing it when he was taken and like i say its last seen hanging out of emilys bag.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its the scarf that gets me. We see emily luring olly playfully with it and last see it hanging out of her bag in the bar. Olly wasnt wearing it like tony said. And what happened to the bag. He finds it then leaves it when looking for him in the loos. Have i missed the explanation on this. But he wasnt wearing it when he was taken and like i say its last seen hanging out of emilys bag.

See the previous post. (#3567)
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Perhaps it should have come with a warning that to properly follow what is going on you need to rewatch the whole series from the start after every episode to pick up on these details?
    And to understand the tacit relationships one needs to observe the visual cues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CubicEyes wrote: »
    The report and the sheet with the diagram of the injuries don't seem to belong together. The report seems to be about a much earlier fight in which Kwame was hurt, not Greg.

The report seems to be about something that happened when a bunch of bored teenagers were hanging around on an estate in Perivale. One of them is 'Emily Hughes' - is she really likely to already be married to Tony at that young age?

Another of the group is just called 'Tony', and the sentence after that seems to suggest that this Tony is female: 'Tony arrived very hungry............ She's always around'.

This Tony seems to be somebody else altogether from the Tony whom Emily eventually marries (if she does?) and who does indeed beat Greg up some years later, in 2004.

Where do you get this from? It's not possible to read the statement in that much detail. I think you are making up the bits you can't read and coming up with a completely different story or am I missing some vital evidence on another web site?
    Forum Member
    that bridge has popped up in a few scenes throughout the series - wondering if it'll be significant .

Those cable suspension bridges are common in Belgium. I suspect the proximity to a waterway is of greater significance than the bridges.

In the dimming light and fearful of the football yobs chantin Ole ole, ole ole!" Ollie runs from the bar, sees a fox, and chases it into the wooded area.
    There, he is mistaken for Mark's son.
    There's a waterway nearby.
    Ollie doesn't struggle on the transfer to the boat giving his liking for pirates.

Mark obtains the scarf, gets the Romanian gang to set up a false evidence trail using his son at the window.. Falsifying a video of a party with a video of a football match isn't going to be difficult, nor is making up a ledger (though she left the postcards open to corroborative tes) There are quite a few characters who like to keep the past alive Garrett, Sieg, charity shop keeper.

A Romanian gang member is on the armed police and is close to the teacher's brother.
    Forum Member
    dachse wrote: »
    See the previous post. (#3567)

Whats the page number on mobile
  • BurrercupBurrercup Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    dachse wrote: »
    Where do you get this from? It's not possible to read the statement in that much detail. I think you are making up the bits you can't read and coming up with a completely different story or am I missing some vital evidence on another web site?

Check the link in post 3564. That's exactly what is says . I'm even more confused>:(