Options

Peter Kay's Car Share (iPlayer - All Episode Discussion + Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Ginger1Ginger1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    Well I just spent the last few hours watching all 6 back to back and my cheeks are aching from laughing, I can't remember the last time a comedy show has had me crying with laughter like that.

Whoever it was up thread who said it gets funnier the more you watch is absolutely spot on, didn't realise how many subtle little gags I'd missed the first time round.

Brilliant stuff, hope they come back with a second series.

ETA: The music really added to it as well for me, the songs took me back to being a teen and getting ready for school in the morning listening to the radio. That Birdhouse song still makes me want to shoot myself :D

It's true...I must've watched each episode twice and there is still bits like the signs that I missed...the music is spot on.
    In fact on my own car journey to work, I am observing more and chuckling. ... like the lad in front of me having a full on rave to his tunes that made his car shake or in my rear view mirror the bloke picking his nose and examining it whilst the lights are on red
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Ginger1 wrote: »
    Stick with it my friend....I was a fan of Phoenix Nights loved peter kay but thena few years later thought pffft he's up his own arse but this is subtle, the jokes are there. Listen to the music, look out for the signs, the cameos and enjoy the banter between john n kayleigh :cool:

Sounds like a grower thx, will catch up on Iplayer tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It didn't start out too well with the spraying of piss from a bottle and the attempt to poke fun at Ricky Gervais with the 'you're having a laugh' just made me think how Gervais basically summed up Peter Kay's mainstream obvious observation and catchphrases for dummies humour.

It had some nice moments though, mostly when the actors actually looked like they were laughing unscripted which made me laugh. I could watch a series 2 if it was made, hopefully they get a few more people in the back seat.
  • Options
    BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you watch episode 6, barely a SPOILER but check out the phone still of
    John's song on Youtube. I love the low "36 views" and only "2 thumbs up" but "13 thumbs down". Then a bit more obvious is when John appears in the background with a cup of tea.
  • Options
    stuartfstuartf Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    the window always looks dirty.. but looking in it looks spotless clean..

I guess this is deliberate to avoid any privacy/clearance issues for scenes filmed while on the road or on a trailer

Stuart
  • Options
    000Mark000000Mark000 Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    stuartf wrote: »
    I guess this is deliberate to avoid any privacy/clearance issues for scenes filmed while on the road or on a trailer

Stuart

The key reason is continuity, since the scenes are edited together from multiple takes, on different roads, with different vehicles behind.

On a PUBLIC highway, you have no right to privacy and there is no need to get clearance.
    In a vehicle on a public highway, there is no right to privacy in the front of the vehicle where the driver sits and again there is no requirement to get clearance.
  • Options
    Ginger1Ginger1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Dinner had, Pot's done, just getting ready to relax for the night n watch the best comedy I've seen in a while....:p :cool:
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not as funny as last weeks.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    000Mark000 wrote: »
    The key reason is continuity, since the scenes are edited together from multiple takes, on different roads, with different vehicles behind.

On a PUBLIC highway, you have no right to privacy and there is no need to get clearance.
    In a vehicle on a public highway, there is no right to privacy in the front of the vehicle where the driver sits and again there is no requirement to get clearance.
    No doubt, but that's also contradictory. How is continuity served by coming out of a car wash with a dirty rear windscreen? And if it's meant to be dirt on the inside how is it supposed to get that dirty yet the other windows are spotless? Far better to leave it clean. Trying unsuccessfully to hide a filming problem only makes it more obvious.

Cop shows have lots of in-car scenes, with the rear window usually in shot for longish periods, but I've never once seen a dirty rear windscreen used to hide the changing view behind the car. In my opinion the dirty window is more distracting than cars randomly disappearing and reappearing. They could also have used a slightly higher camera position to avoid looking directly through the window.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not as funny as last weeks.

It didn't help having the children in the episode. Better when it is just the two of them alone.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It didn't help having the children in the episode. Better when it is just the two of them alone.

Although I agree that the children kind of spoilt the episode (the boy especially was an irritating git) and it is better when it's just the main two but I have to say my favourite episode so far was the one with Reece Shearsmith as the stinky fishmonger. Him singing along to Here Comes The Hotstepper, Sian's character putting the car air freshener around her neck because of the smell of fish and later in the episode Reece's character sticking two fingers up to the main two as they drove off had me in stitches.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Disappointing tonight. Didn't like the kids, thankfully they weren't in it too long. The only bit I found funny and it was very funny, were the names on the post-it notes at the end.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointing tonight. Didn't like the kids, thankfully they weren't in it too long. The only bit I found funny and it was very funny, were the names on the post-it notes at the end.

Agreed, it wasn't too good tonight, and I don't like the singing and dancing interludes .
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Although I agree that the children kind of spoilt the episode (the boy especially was an irritating git) and it is better when it's just the main two but I have to say my favourite episode so far was the one with Reece Shearsmith as the stinky fishmonger. Him singing along to Here Comes The Hotstepper, Sian's character putting the car air freshener around her neck because of the smell of fish and later in the episode Reece's character sticking two fingers up to the main two as they drove off had me in stitches.

Absolutely agree my favourite as well.
    selling fish is 70% charisma , and kayleigh with the air freshner tree
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Anyone notice the PHEONIX lorry going past on one of the road shots
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    The best British TV comedy for a long time.
    Hope there is a 2nd series - and soon :-)
  • Options
    Hairy HaggisHairy Haggis Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    I just LOVE this show, I smile & laugh for the full half hour.
    Pray we get a 2nd series of this. :)
  • Options
    ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one of those "gentle" comedies, i.e. no laughs.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    ffa1 wrote: »
    It's one of those "gentle" comedies, i.e. no laughs.

It's the reverse for me, it's one of the few comedies in years that makes me laugh aloud, like the people involved and makes me happy too.

Agree with others that it wasn't quite up to standard tonight, but it still beats anything else on.

Hotstepper is my favourite too! :D
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong "Petrol", wow didnt see that one coming! How would a repair guy tell that by looking under the bonnet?
  • Options
    mashedpotatoesmashedpotatoes Posts: 4,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best series on for ages. Peter Kay has regained his top form.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    So did anyone else spot the mistake in the Golden Years bit on Forever FM? The features year was 2001 but the song played was Hero by Enrique Iglesias. Hero was a hit in 2002. It was never in the charts in 2001. I actually thought this was deliberate and John was going to pick up on it and say "What are they on about? Thats from 2002." Ok not a huge error I suppose but as the music is an important part of the show and they do this golden years bit every week I am surprised they made this error.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    So did anyone else spot the mistake in the Golden Years bit on Forever FM? The features year was 2001 but the song played was Hero by Enrique Iglesias. Hero was a hit in 2002. It was never in the charts in 2001. I actually thought this was deliberate and John was going to pick up on it and say "What are they on about? Thats from 2002." Ok not a huge error I suppose but as the music is an important part of the show and they do this golden years bit every week I am surprised they made this error.

I think it was a joke aimed at local radio cock ups
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    I think it was a joke aimed at local radio cock ups

Oh right. Good in joke for those who can spot it. But I bet it went over most peoples heads. For some reason I have a good memory for pop years but when you listen to these shows most people are one or two years out! Just surprised John didn't have a quick rant about it.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good episode, really look forward to this every week - it is a gently amusing show rather than laugh out loud, quite sentimental in some ways.

And who could not possibly enjoy a reprise of 'Devil Woman' on primetime BBC of a Wednesday evening? :)