Options

Just quit a new job

HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The job was actually done through a recruitment consultant who saw my CV and rang me up.

The post wasn't in my particular field but I showed willing and went to a (very informal) interview. I was then called back two days later, told I had the job. I accepted, thinking it's probably best to give it a try.

I have been at the job a few days but already I can see that my skills are simply not suited to the role and I know I will struggle. I don't see the point of trying a few more days as it would merely be a waste of mine and the company's time. Making a mistake could cause a lot of problems and potentially be a danger. What's more, it is quite a demanding/fairly dangerous job (including some very heafty shifts) and the pay absolutely does not reflect this. In fact there is a serious safety flaw that I would be exposed to many times everyday. Most imporant of all, the operating procedures state a required minimum qualification for this post, which I certainly don't have in that field.

I've had lectures about leaving a job in a recession but from my point of view, I should not have been offered a job that I am not qualified to do. The purpose of an interview should be to gauge one's ability for the post; the interview did no such thing. I realise now that they must have been after somebody in a hurry and would therefore have taken anyone on. The logic behind that reasoning is the only other person in the same role is going on holiday very soon, therefore needing a replacement to my predecessor urgently. This also put pressure to learn many unfamiliar procedures and practices in a ridiculously short length of time before being left to my own devices. They admitted themselves they were throwing me in at the deep end, which for this role in particular is quite irresponsible. I must reiterate that mistakes could be a costly hazard.

Ironically, I have been turned down for jobs that are in my field and well within my skills. Perhaps quitting was a bit rash but my gut instinct tells me I have done the right thing.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I've been in a very similar situation. I was recruited to a firm and was supposed to be told my duties by the person I was supposed to be replacing. Also, I was expected to falsify certain information. I wasn't comfortable, first of all, for the first reason I mentioned, but when I knew I was supposed to lie about certain information this gave me the get out clause that I needed. (I can't be more specific that I've been). I ended up jobless but I kept my integrity, which I'm proud of.
  • Options
    wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    Helicase wrote: »
    The job was actually done through a recruitment consultant who saw my CV and rang me up.

The post wasn't in my particular field but I showed willing and went to a (very informal) interview. I was then called back two days later, told I had the job. I accepted, thinking it's probably best to give it a try.

I have been at the job a few days but already I can see that my skills are simply not suited to the role and I know I will struggle. I don't see the point of trying a few more days as it would merely be a waste of mine and the company's time. Making a mistake could cause a lot of problems and potentially be a danger. What's more, it is quite a demanding/fairly dangerous job (including some very heafty shifts) and the pay absolutely does not reflect this. In fact there is a serious safety flaw that I would be exposed to many times everyday. Most imporant of all, the operating procedures state a required minimum qualification for this post, which I certainly don't have in that field.

I've had lectures about leaving a job in a recession but from my point of view, I should not have been offered a job that I am not qualified to do. The purpose of an interview should be to gauge one's ability for the post; the interview did no such thing. I realise now that they must have been after somebody in a hurry and would therefore have taken anyone on. The logic behind that reasoning is the only other person in the same role is going on holiday very soon, therefore needing a replacement to my predecessor urgently. This also put pressure to learn many unfamiliar procedures and practices in a ridiculously short length of time before being left to my own devices. They admitted themselves they were throwing me in at the deep end, which for this role in particular is quite irresponsible. I must reiterate that mistakes could be a costly hazard.

Ironically, I have been turned down for jobs that are in my field and well within my skills. Perhaps quitting was a bit rash but my gut instinct tells me I have done the right thing.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

No no no you can't let personal feelings get in the way of work. If you never even looked for the job then they know you won't know all the protocols but at least their being honest with you.

I remember i worked for a bank and ended up costing them hundreds of pounds because i sent over 60 statements to the wrong addresses and most of the customers tryed to sue them. They kept me employed for nearly 3 years. If anything goes wrong in a job it's not your responsibility for the fact that things have went wrong or you haven't been trained well. You can only do your best at the end of the day.
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No no no you can't let personal feelings get in the way of work. If you never even looked for the job then they know you won't know all the protocols but at least their being honest with you.

I remember i worked for a bank and ended up costing them hundreds of pounds because i sent over 60 statements to the wrong addresses and most of the customers tryed to sue them. They kept me employed for nearly 3 years. If anything goes wrong in a job it's not your responsibility for the fact that things have went wrong or you haven't been trained well. You can only do your best at the end of the day.

I know they know I don't have the right skills and obviously they train. But it's too rushed. I was also honest with them; that it wasn't my background.

I noticed you have highlighted "costly hazard" and described a costly mistake of yours. You seem to have glossed over the word "hazard".

I do sincerely believe it's best to go sooner rather than later in a job I know I'm not cut out for or happy in. To a certain extent, personal feelings do matter in work as hating your job can make life a misery. But it's not as though this is just personal feelings, I have pretty good factual reasons for not wanting to keep the job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was put in an administration assistant post for the local Council by one agency I was with. In it I was in the front line to recieve some very volatile individuals threatening and effing and blinding about their council tax and other housing issues.
    The verbal abuse was unbelievable and I was constantly threatened. "Don't worry" said the supervisor as she calmly strolled around safely in the background office, "Your'e doing well" she would tell me. I left after nine days working there. I apparently lasted the longest for months of agency staff doing that job according to the supervisor.

My point is this. All the full time paid staff had the cushy jobs entering data in the databases and dealing with paperwork and filing. Then at half their pay or less, there are the agency workers, the cannon fodder, who were put on the front line. Why is that?
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    MrsSpoon wrote: »
    I was put in an administration assistant post for the local Council by one agency I was with. In it I was in the front line to recieve some very volatile individuals threatening and effing and blinding about their council tax and other housing issues.
    The verbal abuse was unbelievable and I was constantly threatened. "Don't worry" said the supervisor as she calmly strolled around safely in the background office, "Your'e doing well" she would tell me. I left after nine days working there. I apparently lasted the longest for months of agency staff doing that job according to the supervisor.

My point is this. All the full time paid staff had the cushy jobs entering data in the databases and dealing with paperwork and filing. Then at half their pay or less, there are the agency workers, the cannon fodder, who were put on the front line. Why is that?
    Expendable resources?
  • Options
    McDancin' FeetMcDancin' Feet Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The serious safety flaw the OP mentions would make me think twice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsSpoon wrote: »

I did a similar job in the council (mine was in social services). I enjoyed it for the most part (I was there about six months), and I only had to do the phones 2 days a week. I quite enjoyed the challenge of it, and I didn't really get any abuse directed at me. But I agree with what you're saying about how they use and abuse temps. The Advisory Officers and Duty Social Workers, who are the ones urgent phonecalls should be passed to, would often refuse to take calls, and so an untrained, inexperienced temp like myself was left negotiating between a person who said they needed social care for themselves or someone else, and a member of staff who would refuse to speak to them for whatever reason. A temp shouldn't be making decisions about whether someone needs social care or not and how urgently they need it.

One of the Advisory Officers was particularly bad, it could be potentially a life and death situation and she still wouldn't take the calls, plus she was ridiculously patronising and rude to temps. If I had of been there much longer I would have had to speak to the manager about her (I kind of wish I had've done for the sake of my successors). As temps we were making decisions and solving problems that should have been done by someone far higher up. Luckily for them the temps they had while I was there were bright, sensible people (I think we all had degrees, just not in social work!) But they're not always going to be that lucky, and they're leaving themselves open to potential disaster.