Humax You View box post BT?

foxleybobfoxleybob Posts: 15
Forum Member
Sorry if this issue has already been discussed. I can't find a search box to look, unless I need to go to Spec savers :D

I'd like to know if it is correct that I can still use my Humax BT box when I cancel my BT subscription please?
Can I use the fast forward/reverse and record onto the HDD?
And any other information anyone can give me to this end would be gratefully received ;-).

Thanks a lot

Bob

Comments

• David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will require confirmation from others, but, to the best of my knowledge, your box should continue to work as a retail YouView box would. This means that you would lose the additional facilities that come as part of your BT package, but you should still receive the Freeview channels and all the catch-up services, plus Netflix. The ability to record should not be affected. That is a Sky thing.
  • foxleybobfoxleybob Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Thank you...
    Now to dump BT . ;-)
  • Holmesc1Holmesc1 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    im thinking of getting a youview + box but unsure to get it througth bt or buy it retail. so if you cancel bt cos like others i.e. Sky prices keep on going up you keep box and its works as normal(minus bt stuff) ive cancelled sky and my broadband and tv be de-activated at end of month but sadly i wont be able to record with box or view stuff i have recorded or downloaded sadly
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have more or less summarised why I left Sky in 2006, after six years as a customer. I didn't like the way I was being charged repeatedly to watch stuff I had already seen for the price of my licence fee on the BBC, or free on ITV, 4 or 5. I am not a die-hard sports fan, so it wasn't a great wrench for me.

If you buy a retail YouView box, you will get the Freeview channels (the ones broadcast from your local transmitter, that is - the new IP channels that have appeared are not yet compatible with YouView) plus the various catch-up services, which are free, and Netflix, Now TV and Sky Store, which are optional pay services. If you opt to go with BT or TalkTalk instead, they will install their own router, box and provide you with additional services, some of which are included as part of the package, but most are optional pay services. I am with TalkTalk, and their Plus service brings me Sky One, Sky Two, Sky Living, Sky Livingit, Sky Arts 1, Sky Arts 2 and Sky Sports News without additional cost, plus the TalkTalk Player, which is a pay-per-view service for feature films, stage plays and concerts. The remaining Sky channels are available at extra cost. All the Sky channels are SD only, but the picture quality is good. I believe that BT have a greater selection of HD IP channels, plus their own Sports channels.

The TalkTalk box is made by Huawei in China and, although it performs well in terms of picture quality and sound, it has been roundly criticised for being sluggish in operation. This criticism is not as justified as it used to be, following a software update, but it is still much slower than the lightning-fast BT box from Humax (which also has a bigger hard drive and much better remote). The good news is that you can buy yourself a BT-branded box for about £160 from Currys or Amazon and it will update itself with all the TalkTalk facilities and operate as a very fast TalkTalk box.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Unless you specifically want the extra BT channels such as BT Sport etc then I suggest you avoid the Youview box and get one of the many better Freeview boxes available instead. TBH if I was getting one today I would be looking at the older Humax Fox T2 model and installing the modded firmware. You do not get any catch up or online services other than iPlayer but you do better to use a tablet or laptop connected to your main TV to serve up those.

I only have a BT Youview box for the MotoGP coverage and having Eurosport bundled in for the superbikes is a bonus but I would be happy to go back to using Eurosport Player for the latter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Unless you specifically want the extra BT channels such as BT Sport etc then I suggest you avoid the Youview box and get one of the many better Freeview boxes available instead. TBH if I was getting one today I would be looking at the older Humax Fox T2 model and installing the modded firmware. You do not get any catch up or online services other than iPlayer but you do better to use a tablet or laptop connected to your main TV to serve up those.

I only have a BT Youview box for the MotoGP coverage and having Eurosport bundled in for the superbikes is a bonus but I would be happy to go back to using Eurosport Player for the latter.

So you'd advise people to buy an older (sooner to be unsupported?) box without the key forward developmental area in TV? Buy the BT box on tick with the sub and then cancel. Simples.

Tablet or laptop connected to TV? That's luddite thinking. Casting is the new 'casting. :)
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    shhftw wrote: »
    So you'd advise people to buy an older (sooner to be unsupported?) box without the key forward developmental area in TV?
    That is one way of describing the latest in a long line of attempts to squeeze universal internet TV into devices that are inherently non-universal. Failed every time before and I see no reason why this will be any different.

My view is that you should get a PVR that does the best job at being a PVR and leave internet TV to be served by a universal device such as a smartphone, tablet or laptop etc. How you choose to connect that to your main TV is a personal choice, I prefer the solidity of a hard-wired connection.
  • Holmesc1Holmesc1 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Ive tried catchup up tv on laptop and its sluggish. would rather see it on my 37on tv via a pvr box where quality is much better
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    foxleybob wrote: »
    Sorry if this issue has already been discussed. I can't find a search box to look, unless I need to go to Spec savers :D

I'd like to know if it is correct that I can still use my Humax BT box when I cancel my BT subscription please?
    Can I use the fast forward/reverse and record onto the HDD?
    And any other information anyone can give me to this end would be gratefully received ;-).

Thanks a lot

Bob

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2071102
  • jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought one of these from Cash Generator, and it works great, only problem i got with it, that sometimes recordings fail ( The Jeremy Kyle Show is one of them) I use a indoor aerial on the window sill connected up because the outdoor one had water running down the inside of the cable, I adjusted the aerial to get the strongest possible signal from the transmitter (Wenvoe), and get great results, A high gain aerial or amplifier is not needed as my home is on top of a hill. Is the failed recordings a common problem with these boxes, as my older Pace BT Vision box recorded off the indoor aerial with no problems.