Why is James Arthur's single holding up better than previous winner singles?

2»

Comments

• Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, of course, people were able to buy Shayne's single in the physical form so it was more of an effort to get it.

I actually don't think you can compare sales when the playing field is decidedly bumpy!
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    And, of course, people were able to buy Shayne's single in the physical form so it was more of an effort to get it.

I actually don't think you can compare sales when the playing field is decidedly bumpy!

similarly on the flipside, with the ease of filesharing these days, it should be easy not to buy a tune you can procure in other ways *cough illegal download cough*

yet people still opted to buy james' single. ;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    similarly on the flipside, with the ease of filesharing these days, it should be easy not to buy a tune you can procure in other ways *cough illegal download cough*

yet people still opted to buy james' single. ;):D

I think people choosing to buy it rather than acquiring it in that way might be the only thing going for the argument I've seen a lot, that it's doing so well because it's for charity. I'd like to think people would feel a bit guilty for not buying a charity single if they wanted it in the first place anyway lol.

But I do think the majority of his sales are to do with people just liking the song. It suits his voice well and it sounds like something which could believably have been his choice. I think it'd be entirely different if both he and Jahmene had had the same song choice (well, if it was a drippy ballad anyway). Impossible doesn't really come across as X Factory as some of the other winner's singles have, and I think that helps a lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people choosing to buy it rather than acquiring it in that way might be the only thing going for the argument I've seen a lot, that it's doing so well because it's for charity. I'd like to think people would feel a bit guilty for not buying a charity single if they wanted it in the first place anyway lol.

But I do think the majority of his sales are to do with people just liking the song. It suits his voice well and it sounds like something which could believably have been his choice. I think it'd be entirely different if both he and Jahmene had had the same song choice (well, if it was a drippy ballad anyway). Impossible doesn't really come across as X Factory as some of the other winner's singles have, and I think that helps a lot.

though the "charity single" argument fly out of the window when you see how other charity singles actually fared these past few seasons.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    though the "charity single" argument fly out of the window when you see how other charity singles actually fared these past few seasons.:eek:

Yeah I do think the main part of its success is to do with the song itself and people liking his singing style. The only thing the charity aspect might have done (and to be honest I doubt it was a massive help to the sales) is push the people who were on the fence as to whether to get it to go and buy it. But they would have liked it anyway I imagine in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but yeah, "impossible" is quite deceptive: on the surface a song for a female singer... is quite actually much more universal. a break-up song, the person left devastated. heartbroken. PARANOID-- "tell them all i know now". :eek: themes/situation (mostly) everyone can respond to/identify with. sung by someone with "credible" angst from within him. on hindsight-- inevitable!!;):cool:
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think "credibility" has got anything to do with it. Radio is playing the song, the lyrics are universal and it's a decent winner's single. That's My Goal, A Moment Like This etc have all been abit cheesy. Impossible feels more like an original song that people can buy into after the initial X-Factor hype has died. I don't think it's any indication onto how well he'll do post X-Factor though.
  • unicornsunicorns Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    but yeah, "impossible" is quite deceptive: on the surface a song for a female singer... is quite actually much more universal. a break-up song, the person left devastated. heartbroken. PARANOID-- "tell them all i know now". :eek: themes/situation (mostly) everyone can respond to/identify with. sung by someone with "credible" angst from within him. on hindsight-- inevitable!!;):cool:

I think you're spot on with this. It's a song that's perfect for James, at the same time that people can relate to it. It's catchy too! :D

But I will say this.. I don't really think we can tell how well he'll do from his first single. And this is coming from a James fan. I think we should let him be able to prove himself and come out with some new stuff first. Then it will be easier to tell imo :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it has more commercial appeal than previous winners singles. It doesn't sound like a typical XF winner's song imo.

"This"

Most of the past XF winning singles were of the sweet soppy kind. Which is ok but I find songs that are sad or gritty do more better.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it isn't a typical X-Factor winner's song. I know it has sold a great many copies but I heard most of it on one of the music channels today and I really cannot stand it. I intensly dislike his voice - probably because he mumbles so much. This, of course, is my own opinion and I understand people do like it.