Options

Using sky+ hd box for free sat

chris_elevatechris_elevate Posts: 585
Forum Member
✭✭
How could I use an old box in a room that has cables coming from the dish? Is it possible to receive the free channels and pause, rewind and record?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How could I use an old box in a room that has cables coming from the dish? Is it possible to receive the free channels and pause, rewind and record?

Thanks

You can watch free to air channels, but would need a Sky+ subscription to use the live pause and recording features.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you hand over some of your hard earned to Sky their boxes have no recording capabilities.

They can only receive the free channels. If you want record capabilities then you either have to take out a bare minimum recording sub with Sky or buy a Freesat recorder.
  • Options
    drcarreradrcarrera Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I thought this but I've got two sky boxes - one on a subscription and the other not, and the non-subscribed box can still record. I did used to have multi-room but cancelled it over a year ago so this could be why mine "works" but if Sky have somehow messed up my subscription it's strange it can record , live pause etc but can't receive any subscription channels.

So perhaps the answer is to subscribe to multi-room then cancel!
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,522
    Forum Member
    drcarrera wrote: »
    I thought this but I've got two sky boxes - one on a subscription and the other not, and the non-subscribed box can still record. I did used to have multi-room but cancelled it over a year ago so this could be why mine "works" but if Sky have somehow messed up my subscription it's strange it can record , live pause etc but can't receive any subscription channels.

So perhaps the answer is to subscribe to multi-room then cancel!

No, you're just lucky that the old box/card didn't get disabled - if it was disconnected when Sky sent the signal to it then it 'may' have missed the signal disabling it.

So cancelling then disconnecting the box (for an unknown period) 'may' be one thing to try - but no one knows when they send the signal, how many times they send it, or how long they might send it for.