Options

Sky Sound

Phil F.Phil F. Posts: 87
Forum Member
Hi,
Anyone else noticed that recently the sound on sky,particularly noticeable on sport and movies,has deteriorated badly.Compared to a FTA transmission it is now dull and even slightly distorted.Sky sports news is particularly poor.
I had noticed but is now even more obvious as I have put a decent pair of external speakers on my screen.

Cheers....Phil

Comments

• Options
    KodiakKodiak Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    No problems here at all. Sound on all SKY Channels is Perfect. Perhaps you need to invest in a Sound Bar or Surround Sound.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just invested in some fairly expensive powered speakers.Everything else sounds great except channels I mentioned above,thought I might have a faulty box but why on some channels only,especially sports news?
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Phil F. wrote: »
    Just invested in some fairly expensive powered speakers.Everything else sounds great except channels I mentioned above,thought I might have a faulty box but why on some channels only,especially sports news?

What exactly did you buy?
    And how are you getting the sound from your Sky box?
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    It it is HD sports and movie channels you are having an issue on - it may be you have set your output on the Sky box to a different format to that your tv wants.

I find HD sports and movies audio are excellent - but I use 5.1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi,thanks for your replies.
    My new speakers are Creative Gigaworks T40's.I am a AV technician and these speakers are thought highly off.I know this sounds strange but these sky channels are definitely lacking,little in the way of dynamics.
    I have actually tried the set up on the sky box audio output,it sounds marginally better set to DD although of course I am only using the stereo output of the tv.
    This tv is a Sony Kdl-50w656 .....highly recommended by the way!
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are the speakers connected to the TV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They are connected via the variable audio line out which as available on this tv via the headphone socket.
    Just watching GOLD now,audio is fine,switch over to Sky sports HQ....not good.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are connected via the variable audio line out which as available on this tv via the headphone socket.
    Just watching GOLD now,audio is fine,switch over to Sky sports HQ....not good.

It can be a bit of a juggling act to set the volume controls on the speakers and the TV. You have to find a setting where both are neither too high nor too low.

If the balance between the two is wrong it can be quite easy to either overload the speakers or drive the TV into clipping. Either of which can lead to distortion. So getting the balance between the two volume controls right is the first step to sorting the problem.

Another thing to try is to plug the speakers directly into the Sky box, assuming it has the stereo audio output phonos on the back. You might not have remote volume control but it may give you some clues.

If the Sky box direct out is clean on any channel then it may be what you are feeding the TV and how that is handling it. And if the Sky box out is the same as the TV then it's something to do with the Sky box.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Hi,thanks for your replies.
    My new speakers are Creative Gigaworks T40's.I am a AV technician and these speakers are thought highly off.I know this sounds strange but these sky channels are definitely lacking,little in the way of dynamics.
    I have actually tried the set up on the sky box audio output,it sounds marginally better set to DD although of course I am only using the stereo output of the tv.
    This tv is a Sony Kdl-50w656 .....highly recommended by the way!

Well in fairness, it doesn't matter how good the speakers are if your using the stereo/headphone jack port on the back of the telly as you're relying on the TV's own software to downmix what the Sky box is outputting.
    You should have a direct connection to the Sky box if possible via the optical port as you're not then having the TV interfere with the audio before it gets to your speakers.

Just been watching SS HD and the DD 5.1 sound is crisp as always and no issues at all on SSNHQ HD.