Hosting UK website in Canada - good or bad idea?

Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm looking for a new shared web hosting provider.

I am considering going with HostPapa - stupid name but very good value. However, their servers are in Canada.

Do you think that this would be a potential problem, or do you reckon it would be fine?

Any advice from experts in this area would be appreciated!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a hosting plan with Hostgator in the US, and have had no problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem at all. Loads of British sites are hosted on American servers. Canada should be fine.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see why it would be a problem. Just remember they are in a different time zone, so may only reply to an emails/support tickets etc during our night time. Therefore anything urgent might not get delt with stragiht away.

Saying that, I used to have my site hosted with a US company and they were very quick as I think they had 24 hour support.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Are you enquiring if the site will be slower for a mainly UK client base????

I don't think so. not in any measurable sense.
  • Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Are you enquiring if the site will be slower for a mainly UK client base????

I don't think so. not in any measurable sense.

Yes, that was a concern.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'll go for it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the law is changing soon, will be intresting to see if they still offer all the unlimited bandwith and space then ;)

the deal isnt that special either i know some of my cheep and cheerfull competitors would offer you better
  • Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colinp wrote: »
    the law is changing soon, will be intresting to see if they still offer all the unlimited bandwith and space then ;)

the deal isnt that special either i know some of my cheep and cheerfull competitors would offer you better

They have telephone support, which is one important thing that a lot of the cheaper hosts don't have. My current host has been useless, failing to answer emails or support tickets, and it's so frustrating because there's no number to contact them on. My server space was down all of Sunday and Monday.

Also, the fact that HostPapa only use "green" electricity is a useful marketing point for my particular business :)
  • belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I moved from a US host to a local UK host (servers 10 miles away) recently. No real difference, other than a faster initial response (ping) time. Download speeds weren't affected, but the quicker ping gave the impression of faster loading. Can't say there's much in it if you're choosing a hosting firm; I just switched to the hosting provided by my ISP for convenience of payment, everything goes out in one lump.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I host a few sites on US servers and have never ha a problem :)