Options

William Roache found not guilty of all charges

Comments

• Options
    dan85dan85 Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'll come back looking like an eskimo the amount of time he's spent in Canada.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Some were according to the Stuart Hall trial, yes.

And Stuart Hall was guilty and admitted it and justice was eventually done. That doesn't relieve victims of their responsibility to come forward. Their silence over decades could well have resulted in Hall being able to continue his filthy lifestyle during those decades that they kept quiet. Justice could and should have been done a lot earlier.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    And Stuart Hall was guilty and admitted it and justice was eventually done. That doesn't relieve victims of their responsibility to come forward. Their silence over decades could well have resulted in Hall being able to continue his filthy lifestyle during those decades that they kept quiet. Justice could and should have been done a lot earlier.

He awaits another trial this year, too, I believe.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose if, as a teenager, you're afraid to come forward at the time of the offence, there may be a feeling that you've left it too late after some years have passed.

That said, I'm amazed the CPS let this go to trial with so many discrepancies in the stories of the accusers.

Agree with all who have said anonymity should be for everybody involved as, even with an acquittal, the allegations against these men will hang over them forever and that is not right.

BIB: This! The longer the trial went on the more my jaw hit the floor. IIRC one of the women couldn't even remember when she was supposed to have been raped! What the hell were the CPS thinking? All this wasted money, time and (more importantly) tarnishing a man's reputation possibly forever because mud really does stick with some people in these cases.

I also agree that there should be anonymity for the accused, lives have been ruined through allegations like this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I have never understood with any of these cases how the legal system could prove or disprove an event that allegedly happened 30 years ago?!
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good, hope the rest of the peoplpe accused of these crimes get found innocent too, and that the women who accused Bill get put away for the same amount of time he would have
    Unfortunately, nobody is ever found to be innocent.
  • Options
    tawnytawny Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where have these women been for the last 40 years? jumping on the band wagon. They should be named & shamed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    Are we allowed to ask questions now? One thing that bugged me dur ok ng the trial-the prosecution alleged that Jonny briggs told one the complarinants to "watch him" ie Bill. Why wasnt Jonny called to give err vidence?

Because Johnny Briggs wasn't even working for Coronation Street when that happened. :)
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Unfortunately, nobody is ever found to be innocent.

Quite; not guilty is different.

I wished that character witnesses had been called other than Coronation Street actresses and actor; the judge had stated it was the person and not the soap character that was on trial.
  • Options
    walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    Christ, when will these people learn not to name the accused unless they are found guilty? :mad: Too many lives are being destroyed by false allegations. Guilty or not, mud sticks and Mr Roache will now have to carry this for the rest of his life. It must have been so frustrating not being able to do anything. ;) In all seriousness though I hope Bill can now move on from his devastating ordeal and get his life back on track.
  • Options
    LynchpinLynchpin Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is fantastic news for Bill.

It must have been hell for him and his family. I hope he does make a comeback as Ken, but understand if he feels he needs to walk away from Corrie.
  • Options
    DianeDiane Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope we see him back as soon as he feels able to return
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    One of Roache's minders sprung to his feet and shouted 'Yes!' and began to clap before the judge told him to be quiet.

LOL bless!
  • Options
    sunny daysunny day Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Wasnt that guy actually convicted of sexual assault and sacked because of it?

He was sacked but then was cleared of the offence..
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope he can cope with the aftermath better than Michael Le Vell.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to hear this news now can all these accusations stop now
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In amongst all of this, I think it's important that Fiz has an opinion that is heard on Ken's return. Perhaps a good 4-5 of the episodes following his return should be focused on her feelings on the matter.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can older people on here remember clearly everything they did 40/50 years ago, which he had to do with the charges brought against him!?

I haven't read all the info about this case, or all this thread, but why did those women suddenly decide to make these accusations after all this time?
    Didn't they ever tell anyone whats supposed to have happened to them?
    Were they thinking about it every day?
    Were they married?

I hope an Australian bloke and someone who plays records will be innocent as well.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,954
    Forum Member
    :):) This has put a smile on my face. Really pleased for William Roach and for Corrie too.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a pity that the accused doesnt have any comeback on the accusers when they are found not guilty. If I had been put through what Bill Roache has suffered it doesn't seem right that the accusers can remain anonymous and just disappear into the background to carry on with their lives. Still as another poster said you are found not guilty and innocent which is wrong.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    William must be so damaged right now I dont know how he will recover from this also I think he will quit Corrie from all this he probably go back to film a quick exit then leave the UK for a while to let everything die down
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are found 'not guilty' you are innocent. It's exactly the same thing, as one of the basic foundations of our legal system is that you are innocent until proven guilty.

And for all the people here calling for the accusers to be 'named and shamed', do they really want to add another barrier to victims of crime to come forward? The fear of knowing their name may be plastered all over the tabloids could deter genuine victims.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kym Marsh/Lomas/Ryder has found time to comment, go away stupid women.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never understood with any of these cases how the legal system could prove or disprove an event that allegedly happened 30 years ago?!

I heard that one of the women said they had sex in his gold rolls, and he got it twenty years later than when she said it happened.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    If you are found 'not guilty' you are innocent. It's exactly the same thing, as one of the basic foundations of our legal system is that you are innocent until proven guilty.

And for all the people here calling for the accusers to be 'named and shamed', do they really want to add another barrier to victims of crime to come forward? The fear of knowing their name may be plastered all over the tabloids could deter genuine victims.

I do agree about naming the accusers but it just seems so unfair that they can throw accusations at people and then walk away without any recourse.