Options

Emmerdale - Past and Present (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and at some point or other we all do something irresponsible and or stupid. VAl was no more to blame than eric and Diane who both had unprotected sex, Ian, or the woman he caught it from. SheS not in the habit of having regular unprotected sex with strangersh. SHe took a stupid risk. NOw she has to live with the fact that she. could have passed it onto eric, as well as having her own life sentence because of a mistake

That's where I disagree. She is married but she didn't tell her husband she had had another partner and that she hadn't used protection. Many people have died of AIDS because their partner cheated on them behind their back. So let's not minimise Val's action and the consequences they could have had for eric.

Val is a selfish, immature, irresponsible character who only cares about herself and Amy. Exposing Eric to HIV is in character for her because Val couldn't care less how her actions affects other people.
  • Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amendment to my last post -barb's website says that one particpating household represents 5 million households. WHich leads me to question whether the figures on ds are for estimated households o households, or are a further estimate of how many people in each household are watching the same programme?

don't get me wrong, know there's a limit to how much information the market research companies can gather daily, and iVe no doubt they provide detailed breakdowns and methodologies to the tv companies.

spunger, what i'm trying to say is this - 1 million viewers in the stats is not 1 million viewers in reality. IT could be more it could be less. ADded to that, you assume that people don't watch because of quality.Emmerdale goes out fairly early in the evening - lots of people aren't home or are just getting in at 7pm, for a start, and that's only one, non quality related reason that they miss the show.

I really don't viewing figures work as a justification of your opinion of the quality of the show. THere are too many issues to consider about them. ANd let's be honest, there's some real formulaic dross on at weekends, getting rating figures of 10 million and more. Does it mean it's good quality?

We know for a fact tv execs axe tv shows because of poor ratings so why are you denying the accuracy of the ratings? Producers lose their jobs on soaps because of poor ratings. Producers, actors the media talk about ratings being important. I didn't see you arguing about the ratings when Emmerdale was getting good ratings but now that it's losing hundreds of thousands of viewers you start to question them. Hundreds of thousands of viewers are clearly not happy with what they are seeing and how many more are just sticking with it out of habit?
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissLola wrote: »
    That's where I disagree. She is married but she didn't tell her husband she had had another partner and that she hadn't used protection. Many people have died of AIDS because their partner cheated on them behind their back. So let's not minimise Val's action and the consequences they could have had for eric.

Val is a selfish, immature, irresponsible character who only cares about herself and Amy. Exposing Eric to HIV is in character for her because Val couldn't care less how her actions affects other people.

I agree with Miss Lola's BIB . TBH I cannot stand the character, never have. I find her incredibly stupid and gobby. We had all this tosh with the Amy s/ls, going on and on into infinity. Now we have her centre stage once again with all this drama and carrying on because she had unprotected sex with a random man she met on holiday, and surprise, surprise SHE is the victim. Eric and Diane are like two wet nellies, scared of upsetting her, why?

Diane should remind her that she had an affair with Rodney when he was married to Diane and she had Paul by him, so who is she to cast the first stone, shouting and screaming in the pub, stupid woman. iI is neither funny nor entertaining to me, although I thought Diane handled it well. She was lucky Diane didn't throw her HIV status back at her seeing as she likes to play the victim, perhaps her dirty laundry should have been exposed to a pub full of her neighbours, I won't say friends because I don't think gobshite Val is very much liked in the village.

I feel we are in for a long and rocky time ahead.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    spunger wrote: »
    We know for a fact tv execs axe tv shows because of poor ratings so why are you denying the accuracy of the ratings? Producers lose their jobs on soaps because of poor ratings. Producers, actors the media talk about ratings being important. I didn't see you arguing about the ratings when Emmerdale was getting good ratings but now that it's losing hundreds of thousands of viewers you start to question them. Hundreds of thousands of viewers are clearly not happy with what they are seeing and how many more are just sticking with it out of habit?

Why are you so concerned with the other viewers? It shouldn't matter to viewers how many other people are tuning in to watch ED. There are so many reasons why people don't watch ED when it airs every evening, their personal opinion isn't always the case and if so, why does it matter to us? I'm personally enjoying ED at the minute, so are several others on on this forum. Sorry you can't say the same but just because you're not enjoying it, doesn't mean that the show is failing.
  • Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel94 wrote: »
    Why are you so concerned with the other viewers? It shouldn't matter to viewers how many other people are tuning in to watch ED. There are so many reasons why people don't watch ED when it airs every evening, their personal opinion isn't always the case and if so, why does it matter to us? I'm personally enjoying ED at the minute, so are several others on on this forum. Sorry you can't say the same but just because you're not enjoying it, doesn't mean that the show is failing.

Everybody should be concerned when a show starts to lose viewers by the hundreds of thousands. Brookside, Crossroads, night and Day, Eldorado were all axed because of poor ratings so why not Emmerdale? The ratings are not bad enough right now for it to be axed but the way they are going they will be consistently below 6 million come summertime. At the least that would lead to KO being axed. A struggling show could see confidence start to twindle and things go from bad to worse.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spunger wrote: »

i keep trying to ex-lain that there are massive flaws in the system, so your numbers could be totally wrong . ADded to that you would to need to know the reasons barb participants have not watched. THe Habit argument doesn't stand up because you can use it for any programme regardless of their barb results. I can criticise the barb system because i can see its flaws. the reason i res-ond to your constant referring it to barb is because you use it as an indicator quality, which it isnt unless of course you think Splash and I.m a Celebrity are quality programming. OF course the advertisers look at the viewing figures, neither they nor the tv companies as businesses will have the time money or inclination to do more research. I dont see them dropping it at the mome
    -nt, but that could well be wrong. IM sure i.ll get over it if they do cancal it:)

Now i will turn your original question back at you - why are you so determined to see these figures as proof of quality? Why not enjoy it or not, while it lasts, regardless of the viewing figures and what other people might or might not be doing.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

IM not minimising the importance of safe sex, im saying you can forgive someone for a mistake. i also dont think that emmerdale is minimising it, but the reality is people continue to get stds because they dont practise safe sex. DO you think its the decent thing to do to then turn on someone who is hiv positive because theyVe done something wrong? IM pretty sure the disease itself is a daily reminder of that, and that many people also feel immense guilt and shame. People are people and will continue to do stupid thing and make mistakes, regardless of how much education and publicity their is about safe sex, just as they will make mistakes in other ways. THere's nothing wrong with forgiveness and compassion. ITs impressive that eric can do it and is willing to stick by her.

I agree with your opinion of val, i dont like her and i find her childish and immature and selfish. BUt shes ill and in distress, so I feel some pity for her
  • Options
    sarah_shortsarah_short Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG!
    Declan to have a gay affair:o:o:o:D
  • Options
    evoleevole Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG!

With that goofy Finn?? Well, we know who's the bottom. :o:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evole wrote: »
    With that goofy Finn?? Well, we know who's the bottom. :o:D:D

:D:D:D

I'd die laughing if it turns out to be Adam, the lad who's done both of his wives and his daughter.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IM not minimising the importance of safe sex, im saying you can forgive someone for a mistake. i also dont think that emmerdale is minimising it, but the reality is people continue to get stds because they dont practise safe sex. DO you think its the decent thing to do to then turn on someone who is hiv positive because theyVe done something wrong? IM pretty sure the disease itself is a daily reminder of that, and that many people also feel immense guilt and shame. People are people and will continue to do stupid thing and make mistakes, regardless of how much education and publicity their is about safe sex, just as they will make mistakes in other ways. THere's nothing wrong with forgiveness and compassion. ITs impressive that eric can do it and is willing to stick by her.

I agree with your opinion of val, i dont like her and i find her childish and immature and selfish. BUt shes ill and in distress, so I feel some pity for her

He doesn't owe her anything. HIV or not, he should dump her. Not because she is HIV positive but because there is no respect, or trust in their marriage, because there is no place for Eric feelings or opinion in their union. There is only Val in Val's life. This is not a marriage but a dictature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG!

WTF :o:o:o :D

Tell me you're kidding?
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,739
    Forum Member
    OMG!

Source..????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Source..????

All about soap magazine.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All about soap magazine.:D
    Is there an article about it, or is it just a headline with interrogation mark. Declan to have a gay affair ????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there an article about it, or is it just a headline with interrogation mark. Declan to have a gay affair ????

I've haven't read the atricle so i have no idea. I was just relaying what i read in the ED discussion thread.
    I really can't see Declan having a gay affair. That would be so far fetched for his character.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, you're totally right about the headline. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've haven't read the atricle so i have no idea. I was just relaying what i read in the ED discussion thread.
    I really can't see Declan having a gay affair.
    That would be so far fetched for his character.

Lol, you realise you just totally negated the whole concept of spoilers with this? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's just this regarding Gaylan, er, Declan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think one of us, (not me, cos it goes against every principle I ever had), should buy the mag and enlighten the rest of us.

I nominate EVOLE!! Yaay, Evole will take one for the team!! :cool::cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well that was fast :D:D:D
    I am sure that if some one at Homefarm is suddenly going to be attracted to peens it's Robbit, not Gaylan.
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HRD!!! :o:o:o:confused::o

I can't wait until Jack hears about this :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I think one of us, (not me, cos it goes against every principle I ever had), should buy the mag and enlighten the rest of us.

I nominate EVOLE!! Yaay, Evole will take one for the team!! :cool::cool:

I accept and will report back when the mag is available ( after midnight your time and probably around 6pm my time, I'm in California) on my idiot pad!!:D :p
  • Options
    dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is a question mark after it so its not true. All About Soap are always doing things like that. One of the reasons I never buy the rag
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I accept and will report back when the mag is available ( after midnight your time and probably around 6pm my time, I'm in California) on my idiot pad!!:D :p

What a trooper!! :cool::cool::cool:
This discussion has been closed.