the great war, the people's story

mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
Forum Member
Anyone watch this on itv1 Sunday night, was superb, really moving letters written from the trenches and nicely acted, especially Matthew mcnulty and Daniel Mays. So moving.

Comments

• mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I'm watching this at the moment

I'm surprised that there isn't an active thread on this.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was also surprised there wasn't a massive thread on this as it was an excellent programme. Is Matthew McNulty the posh soldier who wrote to his wife in the first person?
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was rather sanitised, with no deaths, did they all come home or were they killed? perhaps we shall find out later.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    I was also surprised there wasn't a massive thread on this as it was an excellent programme. Is Matthew McNulty the posh soldier who wrote to his wife in the first person?

Yes he was the posh soldier ( hes starring in The Mill at present too on c4).
    The story continues with the same men in future episodes.
    I suppose BBC2 have the same idea with Great war diaries on saturday night but havent watched that yet.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Third person wasn't it? It got on my nerves. "Small wife" how patronising.

I had a mate who used to call his wife Dormouse and himself Field Mouse, and he used to talk to her in the third person "Field Mouse wants to xxxx" etc. It was nauseating and trivialising.
  • My usernamesMy usernames Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught the last 10 mins which were fantastic, had me in tears because of the firing squad excellent acting etc.
    Ill be sure to catch the next programme
    Forum Member

I had a mate who used to call his wife Dormouse and himself Field Mouse, and he used to talk to her in the third person "Field Mouse wants to xxxx" etc. It was nauseating and trivialising.

Did posh people really speak like that back then, suppose they must have. Matthew McNulty deserves an award though for his portrayal of the posh lieutenant. Completely different from his character in the mill. Looks like a different person.
  • sianlovescatssianlovescats Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught the last 10 mins which were fantastic, had me in tears because of the firing squad excellent acting etc.
    Ill be sure to catch the next programme

I really felt sad when they read out the obituaries, especially Reg, although he got married, had children and a business. It put flesh onto the bones of a tragic time in our history. And let’s not forget the sacrifices of so many young men who loved their country.
    Forum Member
    I really felt sad when they read out the obituaries, especially Reg, although he got married, had children and a business. It put flesh onto the bones of a tragic time in our history. And let’s not forget the sacrifices of so many young men who loved their country.

Hoping to come home in their letters to see their loved ones and to see babies growing up . Real shame they would never come home to see them again.
  • sianlovescatssianlovescats Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, mal2pool, it was very moving to know that some of these heroes never saw their loved ones again. My eyes felt a bit damp on hearing those parts.
    Forum Member
    Yes, mal2pool, it was very moving to know that some of these heroes never saw their loved ones again. My eyes felt a bit damp on hearing those parts.
    The letters the lieutenant was reading out seemed a bit like poetry......When i come home to small wife ...etc..
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Also another one shocked that there was no thread on this excellent programme.

Watched both episodes and cried through out both :(

I have read quite a few books from that era and it so heartbreaking what they went through for us.

Great acting (love Daniel May) and the first reconstruction doctor, amazing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was surprised at the one debating whether to say "Obey" or not, this was 1916, surely it was accepted and not questioned then, in the days before femininism?
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Anyone watch this on itv1 Sunday night, was superb, really moving letters written from the trenches and nicely acted, especially Matthew mcnulty and Daniel Mays. So moving.

Didn't see it but knew it would be good when I saw the advert with Daniel. Top actor. Really enjoyed him as Ronnie Biggs.
  • sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I was surprised at the one debating whether to say "Obey" or not, this was 1916, surely it was accepted and not questioned then, in the days before femininism?[/QUOTE

She was a suffragette, I think they would all have questioned it.
  • LancslassLancslass Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    Great stories, very well acted by all, esp "Reg" and "hubby"
    Their stories so sad but good that we were able to hear what happened to them and to see the actual grave stone for the officer and to see what became of his son, and also to see Reg do well and go on to have a family.
    Moving and thought provoking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My wife's grandfather was killed on the Somme when her mother was a young child.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Did posh people really speak like that back then, suppose they must have. Matthew McNulty deserves an award though for his portrayal of the posh lieutenant. Completely different from his character in the mill. Looks like a different person.

I think they probably did. I have read some books about Queen Victoria and she always seemed to speak that way. Calling herself "little wifey" to her Albert and so on.
  • nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is so good. The reading of letters really works to bring it all to life and I live them focussing on just a few people each week.
  • nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nvella wrote: »
    I think this is so good. The reading of letters really works to bring it all to life and I live them focussing on just a few people each week.

I mean love!
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My uncle died on 3rd May at Arras. They never found his body either and his name is on the Arras memorial. He died 2 months after my late mother was born. It has really bought it home to me the horror of it all. My old aunts never talked about it so we didn't know alot about him. Very moving seeing all those bodies just laying in all that mud.
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an incredibly sad episode tonight, I cried.
    Well done ITV with this series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching on plus 1 but I know the story of Will and Emily. I don't understand why the actress playing Emily has a Welsh accent. Emily was from London.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    My uncle died on 3rd May at Arras. They never found his body either and his name is on the Arras memorial. He died 2 months after my late mother was born. It has really bought it home to me the horror of it all. My old aunts never talked about it so we didn't know alot about him. Very moving seeing all those bodies just laying in all that mud.

It was heart breaking and Emily never married but saved the letters all her life to be found by someone cleaning out her home after she passed away. I had two spinster aunts (who were actually old enough to be my granny), one lost her fiancé in WW1 and went in to nursing, the other although born in 1908, didn't marry as there were very few young men around. She also became a nurse, they were both wonderful to me as a child and I'm sure would have made loving wives and mothers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My great uncle was killed in the second world war in a plane and his body never found, he was 22. His wife my great aunt Muriel was 21 & pregnant with my uncle Chris at the time. She got married again to the guy I thought was my real great-uncle. We only found out about it when my Uncle Chris started on the family tree.