Family relationships that are acceptable....

Comments

• shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    growing up in a house where my dad was shagging his sister has pretty much ruined my life
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloodline is awful, especially if you have children together.

Step is fine by me, so long as your prepared to get along if you break up for family harmony. My cousin and his step sister (late teens) had a fling before their parents started living together and they have never got along to great afterwards due to a rough break up.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Lips wrote: »
    I would say with multi-culturism, attitudes are changing about cousin relationships and that they seem to be happening more and more frequently. I had two children in my class at school who both had parents who were cousins.

There was a documentary about that very subject featuring a Muslim family. Frequent interfamilial marriage down the generations had resulted in all three of their children being born hideously damaged.
    Multiculturalism is no argument in defense of this practice. Families do this to keep family money in the family - their greed can have horrendous results.
    The consenting adults argument doen't work either. The cocktail of emotions which produces incest is about power and domination which is why most people don't indulge.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    The consenting adults argument doen't work either. The cocktail of emotions which produces incest is about power and domination which is why most people don't indulge.

I'm not saying we should encourage it. There are risks in any relationship, yes there are probably more in incestuous ones because of extended family taking sides, but at the end of the day people can screw their lives up if they want to. We shouldn't ban things based on the possibility that they may screw up. ;-)

As you say most people don't indulge, and I don't see that changing significantly if it was allowed. I'll admit though, it's probably just me, I don't see the need to dictate to consenting adults (I may have to go back and take that psychopath test again :D)

I'm talking hypothetically here, it's not like I'm actively fighting for it to be made legal. Just I wouldn't have much of a problem if it was legal.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Did i walk into a Jerry Springer episode?
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From my point of view I think that cousins marrying is wrong. There is no need to shag your own family members.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying we should encourage it. There are risks in any relationship, yes there are probably more in incestuous ones because of extended family taking sides, but at the end of the day people can screw their lives up if they want to. We shouldn't ban things based on the possibility that they may screw up. ;-)

gal.

Screwing their own lives up isn't the point. really. I'm thinking of people like Rose and Fred West - incest was a game for all the family. Both were warped by their own childhood experiences and they promptly passed on that vileness to their own children and passing strangers. Incest isn't just sex.
    Could a man who sleeps with his sister be trusted with a daughter? Or any orher combination of familial relationship? Incest destroys families. The taboos are there for good reasons.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a couple of very good reason incest is seen as unacceptable.

One, the possible genetic problems.

Two, to protect children/youngsters in their own families not being seen as possible sexual partners by the people they have to live with or be close to.

It's not all fine and dandy, live and let live, it's the removal of safeguards that people need.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I've always accepted cousins I suppose cos it's legal, certainly not father daughter, brother sister or anything in those realms.

I also think if you don't grow up with certain family members you kind of don't view them as family in the same way, the cousins I grew up with I couldn't imagine having a sexual thought about there's one I met in my late teens however and that's an entirely different story so I can understand how it happens.

Mostly I think if two people are happy it's none of my business I have my own set of morals that dictate my actions that others may or may not agree with
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Screwing their own lives up isn't the point. really. I'm thinking of people like Rose and Fred West - incest was a game for all the family. Both were warped by their own childhood experiences and they promptly passed on that vileness to their own children and passing strangers. Incest isn't just sex.
    Could a man who sleeps with his sister be trusted with a daughter? Or any orher combination of familial relationship? Incest destroys families. The taboos are there for good reasons.

Fred and Rose aren't the greatest example, the incest that occurred there was hardly consensual.

BiB, I have no idea, but show me there's any more risk than any other father (married to a non family member) doing it. Then I might change my view on things.

I didn't know this but I just saw on da nets, consensual incest is legal in Spain and The Netherlands. I don't think they've devolved into anarchy yet. ;-)
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it's good enough for the royals. :-D
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    There were a family who lived near where I lived many years ago that were incredibly incestuous.

In the home were the Father, Mother, Daughter and Son. There was also the granddaughter (who was conceived by the Father and the daughter), and she had a child which had been conceived by herself and her uncle. The uncle and the granddaughter would openly walk around together with their kid, and even visit local pubs for a drink.

The baby would have been both the granddaughter and great granddaughter of the father and mother. The granddaughter was the father's daughter and grandaughter. etc.

The whole lot of them were very clearly unashamed of what they were.

Sounds like local tittle tattle, has the child got 6 fingers on each hand ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If my sister and cousin got together I don't know if I could ever accept that. How could our mothers sit at their wedding knowing what their children are doing together.... :o

It's just wrong. I can understand when people have not grown up together that it's not the same but how could you knowingly do that?

I always feel very sorry for people you read about who get together and then discover they're long lost siblings. Ewwww.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we are talking about day to day Norfolk life then where if she aint good enough for her own family she won't be good enough for yours
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Sounds like local tittle tattle, has the child got 6 fingers on each hand ?

It wasn't tittle tattle. They were quite open about it.
    Forum Member
    not in my case - social services removed me
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    I also think if you don't grow up with certain family members you kind of don't view them as family in the same way, the cousins I grew up with I couldn't imagine having a sexual thought about there's one I met in my late teens however and that's an entirely different story so I can understand how it happens.

But if someone grew up in a household where incest is accepted would they have the same taboo? Would they also view cousins / siblings as potential partners because that is their norm? The fact that cousin marriage is acceptable in families over generations would suggest they don't have a strong incest taboo and must move from family to sex partner easily.
    Forum Member
    But if someone grew up in a household where incest is accepted would they have the same taboo? Would they also view cousins / siblings as potential partners because that is their norm? The fact that cousin marriage is acceptable in families over generations would suggest they don't have a strong incest taboo and must move from family to sex partner easily.

I don't think its something you could generalise in such a way, most people view family they grew up with as family whereas if you meet someone as an adult and there is a level of attraction it is different
    Forum Member

Probably not but it would depend on the individual and outside factors as well, just because someone's parents do something doesn't mean their kids will automatically follow suit
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband's friend married his step-sister whom he grew up with.

It didn't go down well with their parents when they admitted being in a relationship. They refused to marry until they had their parents' blessing, which didn't come for at least seven years.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work with a teenage girl who was dating her step brother. Although they weren't blood related they had been brought up as brother and sister since they were about 5 years old - I was told by a colleague that it was incestous - I have no idea if it was in the eyes of the law though.

As for cousins, I haven't met some of mine for 40-ish years so if I met one as an adult I guess it's possible we could fall in love, it's difficult to know unless you're in the situation whether you would feel that it was wrong.
    Forum Member

i grew up in a household that my dad was having sex with his sister - in fact at one point rolled around our floor saying 'incest is best'

no - i don't find it acceptable. in fact obviously it ruined me - and i would think it would ruin others
    Forum Member
    shmisk wrote: »
    i grew up in a household that my dad was having sex with his sister - in fact at one point rolled around our floor saying 'incest is best'

no - i don't find it acceptable. in fact obviously it ruined me - and i would think it would ruin others

I wanna ask how you feel it obviously ruined you without sounding insensitive like I should know the answer, I know you said you were removed by SS but didn't say how old you were. If you don't want to answer I understand
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Members of our Royal family have been marrying cousins for generations. Aren't several of the European monarchs related because of this?
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread reminds me of this scene from friends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POT8fTDyaNU