Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly don't think Perrie's still able to do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-22bVkB092s 1:39, 1:58 and 2:37... I mean, of course she can still do this, but yes her voice changed after the surgery even if people don't notice cause she remains a great great vocalist... I think I liked it better before tbh

I much prefer both of her high notes in this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXURB5MkuG0 and this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CBYA4XCJsk.

The bits where she sings in a deeper voice or like a man, no offence to her is actually good too.
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Perrie's range doesn't sound as big as it did in the X-Factor days/DNA album recording, her voice isn't as arresting to me as it was even though it's still impressive, neither is her tone. Her control also seems to have gotten a bit worse or she makes odd choices in delivery that I guess could become her 'signature' (the squeaking sounds for instance).

Then again, when she really is given a chance to go to town on a song e.g. These Four Walls, Good Enough, the breakdown in Word Up you can still hear the old magic. So maybe it is down to the arranging. I sometimes almost feel they ought to let her go to town more often on songs (1D has no problems in doing the same thing with their best vocalist, Zayn, and it often elevates their songs - and when they don't do it, it's all a bit blah).
  • EpicEastendersEpicEastenders Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just prefer Perrie on the X Factor altogether. Her voice, her look etc. It's when she was at her best.

Leigh-Anne & Jesy seriously impressed me during the 'Salute' era, they really came into their own.

Jade has always been consistently good.
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think while Perrie's vocals have changed/plateaued (I'll be able to tell better on album 3, I think if it is a plateau of sorts), she's vastly improved in terms of stage presence, choreography and performance. She used to be so lazy and weak even with simple movements; unless it was a ballad she came off as unfocused and not present. I'd say that there doesn't look like there's a huge weak link when they're onstage the way it did before (hell, even earlier this year during the NLT).
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I cant really tell the difference between her voice then and now, probably because I focus on the others voices more than hers although sometimes her vocals are a bit overbearing.
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of comments to catch up on, glad that everyone enjoyed the Palladium. I think they worked the smaller stage well but the cameras were either very close to them or from the back of the the theatre which I didn't like. The girls looked great (although the clothes were a bit Primark) and I liked the female dancers because I'm bored of the Mix Men. Was Danielle Peazer dancing? I wonder if she'll join the team as a choreographer.

The Jessie J tour team up is a nice idea and if it was positioned as co-headlining (i.e. LM doing more than 30 mins support slot) there would be good demand. I think both acts would need a successful single in the US this autumn to fill good-sized venues (Bang Bang isn't enough in my opinion). I don't think Taylor Swift would invite them on her next tour, her music is still quite different.

re: the riches the girls are swimming in, it'll be nothing like £3m. These lists are always overgenerous and forget the taxman and that Modest and Syco take a huge chunk of the income. The girls may also have had to pay to own the Little Mix brand. Income from album and single sales also isn't what it used to be. I'd put them as close to being millionaires, particularly after this album is out. I don't know if there is any information about how well their beauty lines are going but that's a really nice income stream hopefully for a while to come. Merchandise as well, a shame they can't do Meet & Greets at UK tours. They still haven't filed their accounts, only 2 weeks left so they need to get on that.

I'd still rather the girls stayed with Syco for the moment, even if Simon is ignoring them. They need the XFactor and BGT promo and the label is putting them into a room with talented music makers. Now they are making their own music and contacts if they do want to move they will be in a good position. I really want them to have a smash hit, fingers crossed for this album. Ideally for me they'll release late Nov/early Dec with 2 successful singles out.
  • casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She used to be so lazy and weak even with simple movements; unless it was a ballad she came off as unfocused and not present.

I still chuckle at I'm Like a Bird. She really looks like she just wandered onstage.

I'm looking forward to this next year's performances because each year they've taken huge leaps forward.

D, also noticed the weird camerawork. I was hoping for more straight shots of the girls and dancers.
  • DreCDreC Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @LittleMix
    #studio

https://twitter.com/LittleMix/status/511891999054909441

Creating?
    Recording?
    Mixing/Mastering?
  • AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DreC wrote: »
    @LittleMix
    #studio

https://twitter.com/LittleMix/status/511891999054909441

Creating?
    Recording?
    Mixing/Mastering?

At this rate. It's best to wait for a tweet/video of a single announcement.

They've been coy throughout this whole album process. All the studio pics are just to keep you updated, nothing of worth really.

I just hope Syco/Columbia have a strategy in place for this era. The Salute promo was so messy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it law that every studio has a black sofa?
  • Melissa.Melissa. Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd still rather the girls stayed with Syco for the moment, even if Simon is ignoring them. They need the XFactor and BGT promo and the label is putting them into a room with talented music makers. Now they are making their own music and contacts if they do want to move they will be in a good position. I really want them to have a smash hit, fingers crossed for this album. Ideally for me they'll release late Nov/early Dec with 2 successful singles out.

Simon has no clue what to do with girl groups. Period.

He thinks they're just like a boy group, they just need to sing and look pretty.

There is so much time and energy that needs to be invested with girl groups. One Direction( I love them) but they can just look pretty and walk around the stage smiling and sell a load of records to a bunch of hormonal girls. They don't have to do anything vocally either. I know they've sung out of tune many times but no one cared.

Girl groups can't do that. The media is always looking for drama between women, and there comes jealousy etc from other females.

After this album, I really think they should look into other options. They have great chemistry/as friends and as a live act as it is, even if things don't work out this era(really hope it does though) They can still continue and hopefully reinvent their brand if they signed somewhere else.
  • DreCDreC Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At this rate. It's best to wait for a tweet/video of a single announcement.

They've been coy throughout this whole album process. All the studio pics are just to keep you updated, nothing of worth really.

I just hope Syco/Columbia have a strategy in place for this era. The Salute promo was so messy.

I wouldn't say that, we have a long list of producers and writers they've worked with. Some tweeted by them some from others and we have a great timeline from the inception of the album to it's near completion. We know its coming in November because that's how Syco works and they've been saying it's coming soon. It won't be long til the announcement of a single.

Another thing, I don't know about anyone else but I'm waiting for the one year mark of Move's announcement before I start to get impatient about anything. That's in a few days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melissa. wrote: »

After this album, I really think they should look into other options. They have great chemistry/as friends and as a live act as it is, even if things don't work out this era(really hope it does though) They can still continue somewhere else.

Be careful what you wish for.
    If they leave Sony all together then its more likely will not get to perform at places like xf or bgt. Both these shows have really high ratings.

Edit: To perform on these shows you will need to have the Syco/Sony link or you an act that can bring the ratings ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because they might want to leave Syco doesnt mean they cant stay with Sony. I read a while ago that other divisions will make a pitch. However they need a deep pocketed label because going budget would kill them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chem wrote: »
    Be careful what you wish for.
    If they leave Sony all together then its more likely will not get to perform at places like xf or bgt. Both these shows have really high ratings.

Edit: To perform on these shows you will need to have the Syco/Sony link or you an act that can bring the ratings ....

Wish for? Syco is known for not giving a crap about their artists after a few years.

It's was a sensible suggestion. And they don't have to leave Sony as a whole either. Syco is a shady label, they seem to do more harm than good in the long term.

Everyone keeps mentioning XF and BGT. Like they couldn't still get slots, they may not get priority if they were on another label. But they could still be booked depending how successful their future releases may be on a new label. They're just going to have to be like any other artist who isn't signed to Syco, find other forms of promotion.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Melissa. wrote: »
    Wish for? Syco is known for not giving a crap about their artists after a few years.

It's was a sensible suggestion. And they don't have to leave Sony as a whole either. Syco is a shady label, they seem to do more harm than good in the long term.

Everyone keeps mentioning XF and BGT. Like they couldn't still get slots, they may not get priority if they were on another label. But they could still be booked depending how successful their future releases may be on a new label. They're just going to have to be like any other artist who isn't signed to Syco, find other forms of promotion.

The other two sony labels in the UK are Epic and RCA Records - both of which have a track record of being completely awful. I think it's way too early for them to jump ship and I don't think they've achieved enough in the UK for them to be scouted by other labels. They still need to get that platinum hit in the UK.

They've done well in the UK under Syco so I don't understand why you guys complain so much about management and Syco. I do get your comments about Columbia Records in the US though.
  • AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    The other two sony labels in the UK are Epic and RCA Records - both of which have a track record of being completely awful. I think it's way too early for them to jump ship and I don't think they've achieved enough in the UK for them to be scouted by other labels. They still need to get that platinum hit in the UK.

They've done well in the UK under Syco so I don't understand why you guys complain so much about management and Syco. I do get your comments about Columbia Records in the US though.

Because we're fans of the group and want them to succeed. :)

If you're not a fan, you wouldn't understand.
    Forum Member
    Because we're fans of the group and want them to succeed. :)

If you're not a fan, you wouldn't understand.

They are pretty successful in the UK though :blush: Girl groups have it a lot tougher so they have done well in the UK.
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »

I agree that they are fine where they are. Better the devil you know and all that. The girls have been at it a few years now but they are still young and quite sheltered. Syco laid it all out for them from the start of their XF time, they haven't experienced Saturdays-level success where the X Factor and BGT isn't interested. There are other TV opportunities but the Little Mix sound is big - look at the difference between the BGT and Palladium performances of Salute. And the Move X Factor vs GMA / Letterman ones.

Internationally they could really do with a change but Syco-Sony haven't done a bad job with them in the UK. They are easily the biggest girl group.The single releases (minus Little Me) have been on point, the videos are fun and they are tight with Capital FM. Sports Relief was important for their relationship with the BBC, even if it wasn't great for the album campaign. Another couple of albums and then evaluate things I think. Of course if they are coming up to the end of their contract they could be already leaving but I don't think they will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think they would either, but I bet they have renegotiated better terms. They do have a platinum album already.

If there's one thing they need to avoid at all costs that I've observed with other artists, is ending up in development hell where they cant do anything.
  • siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that they are fine where they are. Better the devil you know and all that. The girls have been at it a few years now but they are still young and quite sheltered. Syco laid it all out for them from the start of their XF time, they haven't experienced Saturdays-level success where the X Factor and BGT isn't interested. There are other TV opportunities but the Little Mix sound is big - look at the difference between the BGT and Palladium performances of Salute. And the Move X Factor vs GMA / Letterman ones.

Internationally they could really do with a change but Syco-Sony haven't done a bad job with them in the UK. They are easily the biggest girl group.The single releases (minus Little Me) have been on point, the videos are fun and they are tight with Capital FM. Sports Relief was important for their relationship with the BBC, even if it wasn't great for the album campaign. Another couple of albums and then evaluate things I think. Of course if they are coming up to the end of their contract they could be already leaving but I don't think they will.

I completely agree with this and you bring up a very valid point re: Sports Relief and the BBC, I never thought about that.

I personally dislike SyCo because of their treatment of Westlife, I mean you think LM have it bad, try one single per campaign, it being the only cover on the whole album when the lads want to fight that image and the only singles music video is 6 weeks late. That got me mad. I really dislike Simon Cowells flippantness with Little Mix, but SyCo as a whole seem good, I would say before Ella came along they were second on their priority list behind OD. I think they might be 3rd now with Ella doing very well, we'll see, but I don't see any other UK label helping them more atm. The problem with SyCo is they get bored quickly and in another 3 years they'll likely be over LM and on to the next. The girls will always have to keep their options open, but it would be too soon to move atm.
    Forum Member
    siriusrose wrote: »
    I completely agree with this and you bring up a very valid point re: Sports Relief and the BBC, I never thought about that.

I personally dislike SyCo because of their treatment of Westlife, I mean you think LM have it bad, try one single per campaign, it being the only cover on the whole album when the lads want to fight that image and the only singles music video is 6 weeks late. That got me mad. I really dislike Simon Cowells flippantness with Little Mix, but SyCo as a whole seem good, I would say before Ella came along they were second on their priority list behind OD. I think they might be 3rd now with Ella doing very well, we'll see, but I don't see any other UK label helping them more atm. The problem with SyCo is they get bored quickly and in another 3 years they'll likely be over LM and on to the next. The girls will always have to keep their options open, but it would be too soon to move atm.

I'd say Ella is their #1 priority, because whatever 1D puts out is likely to be a hit or sell well. But like I said girl groups have it quite tough and syco should rethink of them strategies but they're doing well in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think they would either, but I bet they have renegotiated better terms. They do have a platinum album already.

If there's one thing they need to avoid at all costs that I've observed with other artists, is ending up in development hell where they cant do anything.

Aren't they supposed to make a choice after the third album, if they want to renew? Or pitches are made etc.

I want to see if Syco is bothered to make the right single choices/spend more money on music videos this time. The Salute video was a step in the right direction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^Yes they are. I have a feeling the budgets for the first videos were restricted because the girls wouldnt have had the resources to pay the label back in the advance, but hopefully thats changed a bit now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^Yes they are. I have a feeling the budgets for the first videos were restricted because the girls wouldnt have had the resources to pay the label back in the advance, but hopefully thats changed a bit now.

Yeah. I didn't think of that, that's probably why. Girl group music videos are expensive too. You've got clothing, make-up, hair/dancers all to pay for.

Although Syco could have shelved out more dough, if they were bothered despite the girls not having the resources to pay them back.
This discussion has been closed.