No Exit Poll has been comissioned

puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/18/scottish-vote-no-exit-poll-democratic-deficit

Means we wont get to have any indication of what different groups voted, impact of class, the new 16-17 yr old vote etc. Disappointed in that, its a life changing vote and no one will be able to learn anything from it. Just because the BBC are scared of getting it wrong, its useful after the results are out.

Comments

• GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/18/scottish-vote-no-exit-poll-democratic-deficit

Means we wont get to have any indication of what different groups voted, impact of class, the new 16-17 yr old vote etc. Disappointed in that, its a life changing vote and no one will be able to learn anything from it. Just because the BBC are scared of getting it wrong, its useful after the results are out.

It says "the BBC nor any other media outlet" which includes - ahem - the Guardian.
  • Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think anyone dare do one it's that close. If different organisations did them they would all be different
  • David_JamesDavid_James Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Scanning through Twitter, there do seem to be exit polls being taken throughout the day.

Apparently the most recent one, up until 6pm has NO on 57% and YES on 43%. I'd be quite happy with that result.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Scanning through Twitter, there do seem to be exit polls being taken throughout the day.

Apparently the most recent one, up until 6pm has NO on 57% and YES on 43%. I'd be quite happy with that result.

A lot of Yes voters will still be at work or on their way home & are yet to vote, whereas many No voters are of retirement age, so have had all day to do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    A lot of Yes voters will still be at work or on their way home & are yet to vote, whereas many No voters are of retirement age, so have had all day to do it.

No stereotyping at all are you? :)
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    No stereotyping at all are you? :)

No, I'm going off the demographic results from recent polls.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do say that older people and women are more likely to vote No. Two groups that still have a tendency to be at home during the day.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

True, but how do you know that a lot of No voters aren't still at work too? 14% is a large gap though.
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    True, but how do you know that a lot of No voters are still at work too? 14% is a large gap though.

Obviously there will still be No voters at work too but the demographics that make up the workforce have been polling Yes majority.

Presumably these 'exit polls' will just give extra impetus for Yes voters to get out there & vote, while No voters might not bother because they think it's in the bag.
  • Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

16/17 year olds are more likely to vote no, and will have been at school all day also.
    Forum Member
    Stuart25 wrote: »
    16/17 year olds are more likely to vote no, and will have been at school all day also.

According to recent polls, the youngest age group is split about 50/50
  • television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not so!
    The BBC and other UK broadcasters have been banned from conducting exit polls or reporting of any disturbances at polling stations before 10pm tonight.
    Salmond got Cameron to agree with this.
    On the BBC 6 O Clock news S. Rayworth confirmed this at the start of the news
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wanted the demography information the morning after to see who wanted out of the UK most and who listened to all the economic advice.

In a way it would be good for policy making too in Westminster if the vote is NO, in order to know deal with their concerns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so!
    The BBC and other UK broadcasters have been banned from conducting exit polls or reporting of any disturbances at polling stations before 10pm tonight.
    Salmond got Cameron to agree with this.
    On the BBC 6 O Clock news S. Rayworth confirmed this at the start of the news

Just watching the news back, they said they are banned from reporting not conducting?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would have thought that most of the yes voters in Glasgow may not have jobs and blame Westminter for this so they may have already voted!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to go watch this now on the iplayer now thanks....how can he ban them doing the polls, sure you cant report before 10pm but there is nothing in the scottish referendum act about conducting exit polls?

Please report back.
    Clearly somone did not want information published as to what was going on at Polling Stations.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I'd warn about referendums is that they are notoriously difficult to predict. Ireland has had loads of them because of our Constitution and there have been quite a few "shock" results that left everyone, including the bookies, completely wrong footed.

For this reason, I haven't the slightest clue what will happen tonight (and even though the polls have the No side ahead, it's only by a desperately close margin relatively speaking).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought that most of the yes voters in Glasgow may not have jobs and blame Westminter for this so they may have already voted!

You've got to break down the national demographic. Glasgow has 500k people living with in their city. How many will have babies or children who won't be able to go to school so their parents can't go out to vote until they're other half is back from work, etc, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching the news back, they said they are banned from reporting not conducting?

This came up several weeks ago they are banned from carrying out any exit polls, and reporting what was going on at Polling Stations.
    This will be the new norm for an independent Scotland. Censorship!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then again, I doubt most of the students have got around to it yet. They always leave things to the last minute and if you remember 2010 there were queues outside polling station (or "places") at 10pm. Things could get nasty if they close the doors at 10 sharp.

You can't beat a good stereotype. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please report back.
    Clearly somone did not want information published as to what was going on at Polling Stations.

I heard it back twice, the first 12 mins before she hands over to other news...no mention of exit polls, or any ban by salmond, she just says " the polls close at 10pm and strict rule mean until then, the bbc and other broadcasters are not allowed to report details of campaigning"
    Forum Member
    I heard it back twice, the first 12 mins before she hands over to other news...no mention of exit polls, or any ban by salmond, she just says " the polls close at 10pm and strict rule mean until then, the bbc and other broadcasters are not allowed to report details of campaigning"

Isn't it so they can't influence voting on the day?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think they had the same rule for the Euros a few months ago
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This was in the agreement 2 years ago. Not just on the BBC 6 o Clock news tonight. The original poster was blaming wrongly the BBC.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stuart25 wrote: »

Don't schools close on election day and turn into polling stations?