Options

Erm, try breastfeeding!

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what the OP was trying to find out. What reasons could there be for someone to not even attempt to breastfeed in the first place, having never done it before. I don't think many people have actually answered that.

The OP could have simply said

"why does a woman decide to not even attempt to breastfeed" without all the emotive - and provocative - undertones

See below
    Melp26 wrote: »

Woman moaning about everything the female body has to go thru with pregnancy and birth only for sore boobs to kick in. Cue everyone giving her advice on how to send the milk back. I just kept thinking, try giving ur son the milk ur body is desperately trying to tell u to give him! Because if u want the best for him that's what you'd do.

I understand that bf is hard but I do think people should at least try. Unless it's medically impossible or you've got serious emotional issues around it then I don't understand why u wouldn't. This girl was boasting about it before hand, daring midwives to try n make her, I'm going in with my bottle n that's it etc I just don't get it :S

It soon becomes a thinly veiled breast versus bottle debate, you cannot simply filter out "medical and emotional reasons" that woman doesn't BF?

I actually think if the OP asks a valid question BUT it was done so with the pious I managed to successfully breastfeed[/I] so everyone else should opinion.

Both my SIL's have 3 children and neither have BF any of them. I've never felt the need to ask why, it's not something that crossed my mind?

Granted they didn't post it over FB [that in itself is an issue - you post something and you open yourself up to criticism} but women do choose not to BF without trying it and who are we to question the reasons?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care how people feed their babies. I just care that they do...
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    i agree, apart from the bit about not interjecting when seeing a pregnant lady drinking. I think it is OK to do that.

Funny. :D
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Because not every mother wants to breastfeed and there's nothing wrong with formula.

I think you should look at the science before posting further ;-)
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So tell us what exactly is wrong with formula ?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Please just stop! How we all survived into old age and in huge numbers on formula milk must be a miracle? Do some research.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Formula is a safe and nutritious alternative to breastfeeding. That's not the same as saying breast isn't best. Is this really controversial?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Formula is a safe and nutritious alternative to breastfeeding. That's not the same as saying breast isn't best. Is this really controversial?

No it's a sign of how the nanny state and the health police have taken over people's senses!
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    No it's a sign of how the nanny state and the health police have taken over people's senses!

Where did he go? I thought he was going to drop some new groundbreaking science on us.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where did he go? I thought he was going to drop some new groundbreaking science on us.
    He'd have to have some first.

Typical pro-breastfeeding dirty tactics.
  • Options
    ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
    Forum Member
    At the risk of getting a slating i will answer the op's question from my point of view. I did not breast feed as the whole idea of it revolted me, it still does 23 years after i decided not to do it. Even typing about it turns my stomach. Every woman has a choice and should not be condemned for it, some of my friends breastfed and some didn't, i expect pretty much as the same as now, although it does seem nowadays that there is a lot more pressure to do so.
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ladyloulou wrote: »
    At the risk of getting a slating i will answer the op's question from my point of view. I did not breast feed as the whole idea of it revolted me, it still does 23 years after i decided not to do it. Even typing about it turns my stomach. Every woman has a choice and should not be condemned for it, some of my friends breastfed and some didn't, i expect pretty much as the same as now, although it does seem nowadays that there is a lot more pressure to do so.
    I felt exactly like you. Whether those thoughts had any influence on my body, I will never know but I had no milk.

I failed as a Mum apparently, but he still went to university at Cambridge :)
  • Options
    ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
    Forum Member
    Tess-g wrote: »
    I felt exactly like you. Whether those thoughts had any influence on my body, I will never know but I had no milk.

Mine went to uni too lol, Regarding the milk I am not sure i did either, I know i never had any pains / discomfort that they say you get when you are not breastfeeding Either way there was never going to be a chance of me doing it, still shuddering at the thought.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tess-g wrote: »

You don't have to answer this but I'm curious, was there a medical reason you had no milk? I've heard of people having low milk supplies but not no milk.

There's a few people in this thread that have mentioned low milk supplies and I remember reading an article a while back which said something about there being a link between women who struggle to conceive and being able to successfully breastfeed. Something to do with there being medical advancements in helping women conceive but they'd then have the issues with feeding once the baby was born. I've always wondered if there was any truth to it.
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    You don't have to answer this but I'm curious, was there a medical reason you had no milk? I've heard of people having low milk supplies but not no milk.

There's a few people in this thread that have mentioned low milk supplies and I remember reading an article a while back which said something about there being a link between women who struggle to conceive and being able to successfully breastfeed. Something to do with there being medical advancements in helping women conceive but they'd then have the issues with feeding once the baby was born. I've always wondered if there was any truth to it.

Well knock me down with a feather!
    I posted earlier in this thread about not producing enough milk for my baby. My husband and I tried to conceive for 4 years which resulted in IVF.
    I have never heard of this connection but it could explain why because I have always wondered why I wasn't producing enough breast milk when other people I knew never had that problem.
    Wish I'd have read that article:(
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vix77 wrote: »
    I posted earlier in this thread about not producing enough milk for my baby. My husband and I tried to conceive for 4 years which resulted in IVF.
    I have never heard of this connection but it could explain why because I have always wondered why I wasn't producing enough breast milk when other people I knew never had that problem.

It could be a connection - I've never heard of it before at all, but it's very interesting - but my own problem with producing milk was anxiety, which apparently is a biggie too. I heard that the anxiety of "Oh god, am I feeding my baby enough milk??" can be a big enough psychological block.

It's more of a minefield than the pro-breast-feeders would have us think, is what I'm trying to say, yet all most of them seem to do is try to brow-beat new mums into doing it, or making them feel (even more) inadequate if/when they can't.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    that`s an interesting connection and quite logical when you think of it. is it something to do with hormones?
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Vix77 wrote: »

Interesting - my son was conceived with IVF and I didn't produce enough milk

also I was in hospital on bed rest for 7 weeks and had pre eclampsia and he was prem - apparently 75% more chance of PE if IVF pregnancy
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I breast fed both of mine but I know some people who didn't. I wouldn't ever tell them they should have breast fed and I never asked them why they didn't. I did think that breast feeding was more convenient though, but I didn't say that to anyone.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    that`s an interesting connection and quite logical when you think of it. is it something to do with hormones?

I didn't produce enough milk the first time I could barely get 4 oz a day out and the second time even less no.2 was put on formula milk from a sippy like cup from the midwife the second day as she said he was literally starving and was angry at the nurses in the hospital for not giving him some formula before I went back to the midwife led unit of my local hospital.

I have read somewhere previously that sometimes with C section patients as they don't go through labour and birth the same way that the hormones released for breast feeding don't kick in the same way
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't all this just a storm in a D cup?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I was asked why I didn't BF and I responded... some women just cant... I wont go into further than that cos its got F*** all to do with anybody
  • Options
    roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    Interesting - my son was conceived with IVF and I didn't produce enough milk

also I was in hospital on bed rest for 7 weeks and had pre eclampsia and he was prem - apparently 75% more chance of PE if IVF pregnancy

PLease, please dont post things like this. It could easily scare people. We have no idea what your 75% claim is. Whether the rate of PE in IVF sits at 1 in 1 million as opposed to or 0.25 in 1 million, or if it means 75% of people who take IVF ecperience PE. Bandying about an unqualified statistic like that could scare people.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    PLease, please dont post things like this. It could easily scare people. We have no idea what your 75% claim is. Whether the rate of PE in IVF sits at 1 in 1 million as opposed to or 0.25 in 1 million, or if it means 75% of people who take IVF ecperience PE. Bandying about an unqualified statistic like that could scare people.
    It's not an unqualified statistic. Do some research.
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »

I don't mind answering at all. No, there was no medical reason. I conceived normally and easily too. Having said that, I had none of the normal signs of pregnancy. No tender breasts, no darkening of the areola, no cravings, no sickness, wasn't tired, didn't need to wee more often.....nothing. I bought a sleep bra for when my breasts got larger and they never did. I didn't even put any weight on except for baby. I went home 5 days after the birth in my size 10 jeans.

I grew a baby and that was it :confused:

So maybe there is something in the hormone theory and for some reason mine never kicked in as it should.