Options

Corrie Sally's Real Life Battle With Cancer (merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has certainly explained a few things like why she hasn't been on-screen for ages. :( All the best to Sally and glad to hear she's feeling better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How sad :( Hope she makes a full recovery, she's very brave for carrying on with filming those scenes :)
  • Options
    Cal2008Cal2008 Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get better soon sally x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my god, i was not expecting that at all!:eek: :( Hope she gets well soon, and returns to our screens!
  • Options
    charliestubbscharliestubbs Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't expecting this at all! I feel very ashamed to have been moaning about Sally' cancer storyline ending so abruptly.

I hope this very brave, fantastic actor gets better very soon and I hope we will see the wonderful Sally Webster on screen again.

It's a shame for the viewer also as I suppose this storyline could have been really good. The more I think about it, the badder I feel for saying that her cancer story was just a plot device for Molvin when it probably wasn't mean't to start like that. :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't expecting this at all! I feel very ashamed to have been moaning about Sally' cancer storyline ending so abruptly.

I feel the same - I was making fun of where Sally had disappeared to a few weeks ago, and now feel pretty ashamed. Still, she seems to be recovering well - that's the main thing.
  • Options
    soapgirlheresoapgirlhere Posts: 2,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a sad coincidence, no wonder the scenes where she revealed her illness to her family were so believable.
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a sad story ........ Get well soon Sal x:(
  • Options
    Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel rather bad now as I had been moaning that this story had not been concluded very well, my best wishes to Sally and I'm glad to see that she feels able to come back to work soon.

I have gone through this with a close member of family, thankfully last month she went for the 5 year check up and is now discharged from hospital, just a mammogram left in July. She has had to have a mastectomy, but thankfully is a cancer survivor. Sally's only 2 years older than I am as well ~ makes you think, especially as mammograms are not available unless there is a family history until you are in your 50's (I have had to have them since turning 40 due to it being a close member of my family (aunt) who had breast cancer).
    Funnily enough at Christmas time I remember mentioning to my husband that I thought she looked ill, but put it down to the demanding storyline she was in, obviously it must have been the worry and the start of her treatment.

Good luck Sally and become another cancer survivor
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Wishing her all the best.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    This must be particularly hard for Sally, knowing Corrie's Sally getting this was nothing more than a trivial plot device to give Kevin something to think about while shagging a girl young enough to be his daughter.
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    Best wishes to Sally... a brave fighter of a woman. Here's hoping she's back to full health very soon. A true indicator to her bravery in that she carried on with what must have been terribly difficult scenes.
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    This must be particularly hard for Sally, knowing Corrie's Sally getting this was nothing more than a trivial plot device to give Kevin something to think about while shagging a girl young enough to be his daughter.

I think the story may have been more than a trivial plot device had these terrible cicumstances not come about. I think it's understandable that the writers cut it down and allowed Sally the time she needed to rest. I think the last thing she would have needed was to come in to work a full day over a cnacer storyline when she is fighting the disease herself
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the story may have been more than a trivial plot device had these terrible cicumstances not come about. I think it's understandable that the writers cut it down and allowed Sally the time she needed to rest. I think the last thing she would have needed was to come in to work a full day over a cnacer storyline when she is fighting the disease herself

Agreed.

I get the feeling this storyline was meant to be stretched out, but instead it was shortened and given a happy ending.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Was totally shocked to read about Sally's real life battle with cancer.

It must be so difficult for her to stay strong and focused esp with her storyline mimicking her real life.

So many lifes are touched by cancer, it's an awful disease but lets hope she's beaten it and comes back to our screens soon.

God bless you and your family x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The journalist Ian Wylie put this on his Twitter:

"There was a long-standing agreed blackout in place across the media until this "exclusive" today http://bit.ly/dh9JLy"

So clearly this news was well known but nobody ran the story out of respect for Sally. I wonder why the News of the World broke the blackout. It's not as if Sally has given them an interview. It's all 'sources'. Pretty intrusive if you ask me.

Media politics aside, I wish Sally all the best.
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I was so sorry to read this. All my thoughts and prayers go to Sally and her family. What a brave, courageous and dignified woman. She could teach some of her fellow actors who blab every single thing they do to the tabloids a thing or two about decorum and grace.

Get well soon, Sally!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Get well soon Sally..x

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    How tragic. I'll pray for Mrs. Whittaker that she'll make a swift and painless recovery.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, and there we've all been making jokes about Aunt Phyllis etc.

Get well soon, Sally x
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,218
    Forum Member
    It does make the previous threads kinda bad but it's not like anybody knew. Wonder if the story would have been better if she didn't really have it. Also I hope with them breaking the story it means she's gotten over the worst of it and will be ok.
  • Options
    alex 1alex 1 Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    The daily mirror has the story as there front page today

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2010/May/Week1/15624043.jpg

get well soon sally!
  • Options
    open_endedopen_ended Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her absence still could have been handled better. She was upstairs for about 2 months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    open_ended wrote: »
    Her absence still could have been handled better. She was upstairs for about 2 months.

She wasn't. We all had a laugh about that, but she wasn't actually meant to be upstairs. She was around, just not shown on screen. She was mentioned, for example when Rita returned and went to see her.

Even now, it's going to seem strange in story terms. She'll be absent for a good while yet, and it just doesn't seem natural that she'd leave her family for so long to go and stay with her sister.