Bones moving to LIVING from Sky1 next year!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
Forum Member
✭✭
How strange!

I know Sky have bought the LIVING TV group and have to accommodate the shows from Bravo and ChannelOne but why move Bones?!

(I'll watch it wherever they show it obviously but it seems an odd move)

Thoughts?

Comments

• CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it does seem kinda odd, unless they want Sky One to be seen as more a UK TV channel, however obviously its going to keep The Simpsons.

Dare I hope this means Criminal Minds will repeat on Sky 3?
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    I guess Bones must be popular with women.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    The weakening of Sky One HD continues....shortly after Virgin gets access to it (ironically, as part of the deal which saw Living and the rest of VMTV brought by Sky).

Chuck doesn't strike me as a perfect fit for Living either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but doenst Virgin carry Sky Living as well?
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This seems very odd.

I can see that it fits in with the demographic in some ways, but Bones is often the top rated show on Sky1 in the weeks that new episodes air.
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    but doenst Virgin carry Sky Living as well?

Yep.

The timing just seems odd.

Sky 1 had lost Lost, 24 and nBSG. Reinforcements were required but instead, shows like Bones are going to Living and other potential reinforcements from VMTV like Chuck and Nikita are also going to......Living.

Hell, I actually watch Syfy more than Sky 1 these days.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    This seems very odd.

I can see that it fits in with the demographic in some ways, but Bones is often the top rated show on Sky1 in the weeks that new episodes air.
    ...and it could be on Living.

It is clear they want to make Living as successful in multi-channel homes as Sky1, so this is not a surprise. Sky1 is no longer a priority, especially with Atlantic on the way. I could see channel controllers having to put their foot down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow I was not expecting this lol

so after Christmas it will be on Living or they will make some annoucnement about it first?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Sky 1 had lost Lost, 24 and nBSG. Reinforcements were required but instead, shows like Bones are going to Living and other potential reinforcements from VMTV like Chuck and Nikita are also going to......Living..
    I know what you mean, they do seem to be favouring Living more with US imports (that are not judged worthy of "Sky Atlantic", basically stuff from the US networks)

As I said I wonder if its an attempt to move Sky One away from imports, and on to shows it makes itself, what you think of Sky or the shows, they have increased the amount of UK shows the air on Sky One recently.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean, they do seem to be favouring Living more with US imports (that are not judged worthy of "Sky Atlantic", basically stuff from the US networks)

As I said I wonder if its an attempt to move Sky One away from imports, and on to shows it makes itself, what you think of Sky or the shows, they have increased the amount of UK shows the air on Sky One recently.

Yep they're building 106 107 & 108 into distinctive brands (1 living and atlantic) with sky1 having a lot more home grown drama and comedy etc
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a283997/sky-reshuffles-entertainment-channels.html
    Forum Member

Yeah, there is and continues to be a shift of focus.

Sky 1, until now, was one the major channels for US imports. Now, to be fair, the likes of The Event have gone to C4 and V and Warehouse 13 have gone to Syfy.

But now, Sky 1 seems to be reinventing itself as the home of Sky's UK content - all the good imported stuff is moving to Living/Sky Atlantic and in its place is home-grown nonsense like An Idiot Aboard. No thanks.

For Sky 1, that leaves the likes of NCIS LA (not a patch on the original show); Caprica (cancelled last week); SGU (which could be cancelled any week now after more sub-million ratings) and Fringe (having a great 3rd season so far). Nothing stopping Sky from moving Chuck and Nitika to Sky 1, where they would probably be a better fit for that channel, or at least, the old version of it.

For me, the HD version of the channel was more desirable when they focused on the imports. I actually like watching home-grown stuff, mainly on the Beeb (Waterloo Road; Merlin, Doctor Who, to name a few show) but nothing UK-made on Sky has appealed to me in years.

I doubt if this was the HD channel Virgin thought they were getting, or me for that matter after waiting years to get it. A quick look at various threads on DS/CF will reveals dozens of threads along the lines of 'When will Virgin get Sky 1? The new season of [INSERT US IMPORT HERE] starts soon and I wanna see it in HD!'

I don't recall seeing the same desire from Cable viewers to views the likes of Chris Ryan's Strike Back or Got To Dance in HD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    For Sky 1, that leaves the likes of NCIS LA (not a patch on the original show); Caprica (cancelled last week) and SGU, which could be cancelled any week now after more sub-million ratings.
    isnt Sy-Fy making another BSG spin-off to replace Caprica, im sure Sky will look into that.

However moving on, I am sure Sky would love to get FX on board, with this as well, gives them Dexter, and also it could air NCIS: LA, leaving Sky One clear for more UK content.

Of course what Sky needs to be careful with, is not to loose the female focus of Living, which is why they bought it in the first place.
    Sky One (mostly UK content, but I figure it will keep The Simpsons)
    Sky Living (female US imports)
    Sky Atlanic (HBO and other cable shows)
    FX (male US imports)

Sky Sports
    Sky Movies
    Sky Arts
    a very imrpessive cluster of channels.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natstally wrote: »
    How strange!

I know Sky have bought the LIVING TV group and have to accommodate the shows from Bravo and ChannelOne but why move Bones?!

(I'll watch it wherever they show it obviously but it seems an odd move)

Thoughts?

Yes but it will be a Sky branded channel.

'Sky Living' so why not? Might allow some of Bravo's programming to move over to Sky1.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky living terrible.Just keep it as living please.Must admit this is what i watch on sky 1. Bones,lie to me,fringe,NCIS LA. Apart form that i dont watch most others cant stand simpsons or modern family which is utter tosh despite the ratings but i must admit have been enjoying the thorne series so if that the kind of stuff they will get i am all for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess all will become clear with the individual channel identities in a few months. Will they move the rest of the US imports from Sky1? There'd be hardly anything left on there! They'd have to make a lot more Strike Back etc to fill that void!

I presume the move of Bones will be timed with the arrival of Sky Atlantic and the rebranding of LIVING to Sky Living.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably the current season (six) of bones will remain on Sky 1,has it even been confirmed for a seventh season yet??
  • jonnyblackjonnyblack Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next week will be the last episode of Bones on Sky1
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im now wondering if this is the reason Sky kept changing their minds about when to start showing Bones, as they originally said October then changed it to January then suddenly went back to October about 2 weeks before showing the 1st episode of season six.

Its all abit confusing I just hope that means that it doesn’t take a slot on Living that Supernatural or Greys Anatomy would have got in the new year??
  • bhr1bhr1 Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do we know it is moving?
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Presumably the current season (six) of bones will remain on Sky 1,has it even been confirmed for a seventh season yet??

Not that I know of.

It was renewed for two seasons back in 2009 (so this is the second of those seasons).

It's doing pretty well in the US as far as I know.
  • petestanpetestan Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhr1 wrote: »
    How do we know it is moving?

Have you not watched it lately, for the last 2 weeks at least they have announced Bones was moving to Living in the New Year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not that odd - Sky are simply moving most of the imports to the correct target based channel.

If Sky1 is going to cater for mainly UK shows then rightfully it doesnt belong there, I wouldnt see a point of keeping all the large imports on one channel and Sky are obvously wanting to break up the audience share thus bring in a wide viewership to ALL the channels and this way it will help the relaunched channels to do better and make more money.

It makes perfect business sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. If you get Sky 1, you get Living. The Bones audience is a Living one anyway.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,946
    Forum Member
    Minion wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. If you get Sky 1, you get Living. The Bones audience is a Living one anyway.

Well said. I don't know why such trivia seems to excite such concern. So long as it is on one of the channels I receive (and in HD) which channel is of little consequence.

Clearly it makes sense if Sky are realigning their entertainment offering to assign programmes to channels as they think most appropriate to that channel.
  • Durham ViperDurham Viper Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonnyblack wrote: »
    Next week will be the last episode of Bones on Sky1

Well that explains why the series-link indicator isn't on the planner entry that was put on after last night recording