Boxing

Comments

• Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    wonder what the haters are gonna say now?

brook handled porter and never looked in trouble. brook's conditioning was superb!

landed the cleaner shots all night. porter is dead average and all he did was come forward like a dog swinging punches!

after round 6 he was lost and done. judges were a bit wild in the scores but kell won that fight.

I'm very surprised by the result, but well done to Brook.

Hopefully, this will set up a fight with Khan. That would be a decent scrap.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porter was garbage
    What on earth were the Sky commentators on about? Brook clearly won that fight, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

It's the same every time a Brit fights in America.

"'Hometown' judges, he will need a KO."

"'Hometown' referee, something else against him"

Even though fights in the UK are the most bent in the world :kitty: Porter wants a rematch, I hope he doesn't want it in Sheffield :D
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seemingly it was the sole British judge who scored the fight a draw - no doubt they were covering their arses and can now expect to get plenty of gigs stateside.
  • Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    Jim Watt is terrible. You would think porter dominated the fight with his comments.

didnt he score the first 6 all to porter, dunno what fight he was watching.

The Showtime commentry version is on Youtube with the legendery Al Bernstein. I love it when he rocks up on channel 5!

Their commentry is spot on as regards the ebb and flow of the fight. I am not one to moan but Sky really need to look at their commentry. Nick Halling does not know boxing and Jim Watt is calling stuff wrong now.

I like Ronald Mcintosh, knows his stuff.
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,715
    Forum Member
    Kell Brook stabbed in the leg whilst on holiday in Spain

Brook's condition is described as "stable" by his promoters Matchroom, but a spokeswoman for Spain's Guardia Civil said he had "lost a lot of blood".

She told the Press Association: "This morning a 28-year-old British man was stabbed at Golf del Sur in San Miguel de Abona.

"He was stabbed in the left leg and is hospitalized. He lost a lot of blood.

http://www.sportinglife.com/boxing/news/article/2/9455805/boxing-kell-brook-stabbed-in-the-leg-while-on-holiday-in-tenerife

I guess his (likely) fight with Amir Khan is now in doubt
  • Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake1981 wrote: »
    Kell Brook stabbed in the leg whilst on holiday in Spain

Brook's condition is described as "stable" by his promoters Matchroom, but a spokeswoman for Spain's Guardia Civil said he had "lost a lot of blood".

She told the Press Association: "This morning a 28-year-old British man was stabbed at Golf del Sur in San Miguel de Abona.

"He was stabbed in the left leg and is hospitalized. He lost a lot of blood.

http://www.sportinglife.com/boxing/news/article/2/9455805/boxing-kell-brook-stabbed-in-the-leg-while-on-holiday-in-tenerife

I guess his (likely) fight with Amir Khan is now in doubt

Second time he has been stabbed.

Hope it isn't too serious, and he makes a full recovery.

Really want to see the Khan Brook fight. Could be a classic.
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see Keith Thurman v Devon Alexander, with the winner (Thurman) take on Kell Brook. With the winner (Thurman) taking on Maidana and Porter. Once Thurman gets through them it will be Errol Spence who provides the biggest challenge of his career.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a single post on the relentless genius of the Money man after winning the rematch? Guess I'll just have to make one then....;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a single post on the relentless genius of the Money man after winning the rematch? Guess I'll just have to make one then....;-)

It was fairly predictable, as soon as the rematch was confirmed people said Mayweather would fight the way he ended up doing. That didn't stop people complaining though lol.

Also Maidana said to beat Mayweather you have to attack him, but he threw and landed less than the first fight. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maidana attacked in the first fight, then tried to box in the second fight.

Everything good about his performance in the first fight, was lost.

Mayweather was Mayweather. Anyone complaining about him winning that fight, should not be watching boxing as it was a master class in how to win wide on points.

Would love to see Danny Garcia up against Mayweather. Think Garcia has the style and power to trouble Mayweather.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not overly impressed with Groves' performance, same old sloppiness as the fight wore on. I suspect we'll see what happened against Froch happen every time he steps up to world level.

Just watching Kid Galahad, a lot to like about him. Could do with some proper promotion, because at the moment it's too easy to ignore him. I'm not saying he'd beat Frampton or Quigg, but it's certainly one of those risk/reward scenarios for both of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not overly impressed with Groves' performance, same old sloppiness as the fight wore on. I suspect we'll see what happened against Froch happen every time he steps up to world level.

Just watching Kid Galahad, a lot to like about him. Could do with some proper promotion, because at the moment it's too easy to ignore him. I'm not saying he'd beat Frampton or Quigg, but it's certainly one of those risk/reward scenarios for both of them.

Not all champions will be as clinical as Froch though.

Personally think Groves beats Direll.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anthony or Dirrell? Anthony should be a wrestler, his last fight vs Bika was shocking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anthony or Dirrell? Anthony should be a wrestler, his last fight vs Bika was shocking.

Anthony.

Andre dances too much for any of the current Super Middles to beat him.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not all champions will be as clinical as Froch though.

Personally think Groves beats Direll.

Me too probably, but that's because I don't rate Anthony Dirrell at all. To be honest, looking at the super middles now it seems a bit scarce compared to how it was a few years back (Paul Smith fighting for a world title next week lol), so Groves should manage to bag himself a legit belt before too long, but there'll always be that vulnerability with him.

Andre Dirrell is one of the biggest wastes of the modern era. All the skills of a great boxer but not the heart of one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like him too and disagree about the promotion. I think he's a little behind both Quigg and Frampton right now and needs a couple more fights IMO before he meets either. He's younger than both so has time and if all careers paths continue Qigg and Frampton meet first and Galahad fights the winner and then maybe the loser. They will all be massive money fights. British Super Bantamweights, eh? Just like buses. Wait for ages for a decent one then three come along at once.... ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too probably, but that's because I don't rate Anthony Dirrell at all. To be honest, looking at the super middles now it seems a bit scarce compared to how it was a few years back (Paul Smith fighting for a world title next week lol), so Groves should manage to bag himself a legit belt before too long, but there'll always be that vulnerability with him.

Andre Dirrell is one of the biggest wastes of the modern era. All the skills of a great boxer but not the heart of one.

I know Paul, so hope he can win next week. As for deserving the shot, he was the highest ranked who wanted the fight.

Andre Dirrell is too busy having kids to care about his boxing. Also a very boring fighter to watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know Paul, so hope he can win next week. As for deserving the shot, he was the highest ranked who wanted the fight.

Andre Dirrell is too busy having kids to care about his boxing. Also a very boring fighter to watch.

Can't believe that Smith is fighting for the title. I'm not able to follow boxing as much as I want to these days and last I saw him he was getting sparked by George Groves. Can only think he's put together some decent shows since then. Good luck to him. Don't know how much Abraham has left in the tank but it would still be a shock if Smith can pull it off.

Direll... what a waste.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe that Smith is fighting for the title. I'm not able to follow boxing as much as I want to these days and last I saw him he was getting sparked by George Groves. Can only think he's put together some decent shows since then. Good luck to him. Don't know how much Abraham has left in the tank but it would still be a shock if Smith can pull it off.

Direll... what a waste.

In that Groves fight Paul had him rocked at the end of the first round, had it been a little earlier in the round it may have been a diferent outcome.

Paul also broke his hand in that fight and was caught by a great shot.

He has rebuilt since then though and has had some good wins. Plus, he was the highest ranked opponent who wanted the fight.

I honestly think he will win on Saturday. Deserves it too as he is a great lad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In that Groves fight Paul had him rocked at the end of the first round, had it been a little earlier in the round it may have been a diferent outcome.

Paul also broke his hand in that fight and was caught by a great shot.

He has rebuilt since then though and has had some good wins. Plus, he was the highest ranked opponent who wanted the fight.

I honestly think he will win on Saturday. Deserves it too as he is a great lad.

Y'know what Super Dog? I remember that punch. It nearly took Groves head off and the fact Gorgeous George stood and took made me think he might be a real contender. Y'know what, part 2? I'm going to have a bet on Smith to win tommorrow. Just because you said he deserves it ;-)
  • robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y'know what Super Dog? I remember that punch. It nearly took Groves head off and the fact Gorgeous George stood and took made me think he might be a real contender. Y'know what, part 2? I'm going to have a bet on Smith to win tommorrow. Just because you said he deserves it ;-)

I've had a little bet on smith to win in rounds 4,5 or 6, cracking odds.

If he doesn't win do you know the address for Super Dog Man so we can invoice him?

I'd like him to win as I really don't like Abraham either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It really did. Think it was that punch that broke his hand and kept him out for a year.

Already had a bet on him to win it. Got a great feeling about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robborocks wrote: »
    I've had a little bet on smith to win in rounds 4,5 or 6, cracking odds.

If he doesn't win do you know the address for Super Dog Man so we can invoice him?

I'd like him to win as I really don't like Abraham either.

Haha no refunds sorry. All bets are personal choice 😝

And besides, he will win. No doubt in my mind.
  • robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha no refunds sorry. All bets are personal choice 😝

And besides, he will win. No doubt in my mind.

Can I ask how you know Smith? Are you involved in the boxing world or is it something else?

I really hope he wins.

Boxing is a pretty profitable sport for me betting wise, had a good win on the Buglioni fight last week.

I'm off to the Fury v Chisora fight, although at the moment am more excited by seeing eubank jr on the undercard as I'm a big fan of his.
  • dazcdazc Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Am Fed Up With Boxing Judges Did They Just Watch The Same Fight As I Did 119 -109 117-11 Is A Joke Smith We Are Proud Of You