change username?????

zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
Forum Member
✭✭
HI members, is it possible for me to change my user-name.
if i wanted to. keep my same posts etc, just change name?
is it possible or not..:eek:

Comments

• GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS don't allow it any more.
  • tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    nope the mods have gotten stricter - one used to be able to mail them / om them and request a swap but now they don't allow it

i've also heard they dont allow anyone to dereg either because obviously if people dont want to post they can just not come online / post - it saves people reregistering at a later time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    It's not that they have got stricter, but because of a bug in the forum software changing someone's username can cause the forums to crash.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nope the mods have gotten stricter - one used to be able to mail them / om them and request a swap but now they don't allow it

i've also heard they dont allow anyone to dereg either because obviously if people dont want to post they can just not come online / post - it saves people reregistering at a later time

THANKS FOR REPLY'S what is dereg not heard of that one.. !!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    THANKS FOR REPLY'S what is dereg not heard of that one.. !!!

Deregistration - i.e. deleting the account and re-registering.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 397
    Forum Member

They do allow you to de-reg...but you're not allowed to re-register again...ever! :eek:
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tein wrote: »
    They do allow you to de-reg...but you're not allowed to re-register again...ever! :eek:
    How can they enforce that?:confused:

OP what were you going to change your name to, if it had been allowed?
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can they enforce that?:confused:

OP what were you going to change your name to, if it had been allowed?

i dont know, i only thought about it, was it possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tein wrote: »

Tom posted that again the other day as there was a thread in GD.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom posted that again the other day as there was a thread in GD.

Yes like here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes like here.

And this has been asked so many times. That's what the search function is for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    And this has been asked so many times. That's what the search function is for.

I agree. I cannot count how many times I have seen it asked.
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,738
    Administrator
    Afternoon,

As pointed out by the users above we can no longer do name changes, this is however because of technical restraints rather than us being mean!

As for re-registration, that doesn't work anymore either as it is nolonger allowed.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry, but it is absolutely impossible to enforce a re-registration ban.

Lets say I dont want to use this account again, and I go away for a year.

I then re-register having moved house and ISP. How the hell would you know? Answer - you couldnt.
  • dropoutdropout Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll swap you usernames if you want.:o:D
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    It's not that they have got stricter, but because of a bug in the forum software changing someone's username can cause the forums to crash.

Other forums can manage to do it on this version of the bulletin board software.Why DS can't or won't seems to be a massive mystery.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but it is absolutely impossible to enforce a re-registration ban.

Lets say I dont want to use this account again, and I go away for a year.

I then re-register having moved house and ISP. How the hell would you know? Answer - you couldnt.

Isn't that a bit extreme, just to re-register?
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,738
    Administrator
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    Other forums can manage to do it on this version of the bulletin board software.Why DS can't or won't seems to be a massive mystery.

To quote the forum manager:
    We can't change usernames. Yes, in theory it takes three seconds but in practice it strains the database and cripples a site of this size.

As I said before, we don't refuse name changes to be mean, we physically cannot do them anymore due to the way the forum software is made. Searching nearly 400,000 usernames to check that a name is not taken literally crashes our databases.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame really, as mine is a irritation. I accidentally spelled it wrong when registering and have been stuck with a misspelled name ever since. :p
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Isn't that a bit extreme, just to re-register?

Well yes, but in theory I could change my ISP tomorrow and reregister, with a different email. Or change my IP address. Who would know?

Totally unenforceable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is annoying that you are unable to change usernames on DS, I'm stuck with this one, which I'd rather change, can't re-register on here, because I only have one ISP email, and that used here.. Guess I could stump up £5 to use my hotmail one, but I really don't want to.
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To quote the forum manager:

As I said before, we don't refuse name changes to be mean, we physically cannot do them anymore due to the way the forum software is made. Searching nearly 400,000 usernames to check that a name is not taken literally crashes our databases.

Is it actually emphasised on the signing up page about not being able to change your username? Might make more people think about their username if they know in advance they'll never be able to change it.

I'm not complaining - I got mine changed before the new rule :D
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBTweets wrote: »
    Is it actually emphasised on the signing up page about not being able to change your username? Might make more people think about their username if they know in advance they'll never be able to change it.

I'm not complaining - I got mine changed before the new rule :D

Yes it is - I looked yesterday after reading that post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't a name change also mean looking back through all the posts in order to change the name? I presume that is the real reason it stesses the system.
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is - I looked yesterday after reading that post.

Thanks Babe :)

Might be noticed a bit better if it's in the form of a flashy ad :D