Options

Why is london slipping down the league table of worlds best cities?

PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
Forum Member
Particularly in terms of the tourist experience or quality of life living in London its going right down many distinguished lists.

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know any of the details, but I'd imagine that comparisons in quality of life, show London in an increasingly less favourable light compared to other cities around the world.

There can be all manner of reasons for this, which without a link, we are not privy to.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Particularly in terms of the tourist experience or quality of life living in London its going right down many distinguished lists.

What lists?

Have you got a link?
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, It's still second according to this. http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/worlds-favorite-cities

But transport's Londons big issue, on cost and quality.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because it's rubbish and it smells of poo?
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i don't live in london but have been several times over the years and infact am spending new year there.

the one thing that puts me off is that everytime i go, there seems to be building & roadworks going on. i'm also not a fan of the underground in that the platform is always miles away from the actual entrance to the station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because it's rubbish and it smells of poo?

How is London rubbish? Its one of the most vibrant, busy cities in the world!

I love London.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A succession of useless Governments,coupled with spectacular mismanagement from Whitehall down.It doesn't seem to matter if its Labour or Tory,neither of them appear to be up to the job.We seem to be spending money on all the wrong things,not just in London,but the UK in general.Perhaps a new year will see an improvement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is London rubbish? Its one of the most vibrant, busy cities in the world!

I love London.

It smells of poo!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It smells of poo!!!!

You've clearly been to the wrong parts of London :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does, it's my dad's obsession. He's a civil engineer you see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    It is dirty and when it is hot, it is unbearable. The lack of aircon makes travelling awful. I was in New York in the summer and it was much more comfortable.

It feels less safe in London than in New York these days.

I used to love London years ago but it's not so good now. Mind you other places have gone the same way.
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other more modern cities offering better business opportunities.
    Not much effort being made to attract people other than to trade on history.
    Cold, wet, and expensive.
    Shocking house prices.
    Social degradation.
    People trying to rip you off wherever you go.
    Striking public transport workers.
    Old antiquated, cramped underground transit system.
    Airports cannot cope with a little chill, and disregard customers' comfort.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    555 wrote: »
    Other more modern cities offering better business opportunities.
    Not much effort being made to attract people other than to trade on history.
    Cold, wet, and expensive.
    Shocking house prices.
    Social degradation.
    People trying to rip you off wherever you go.
    Striking public transport workers.
    Old antiquated, cramped underground transit system.
    Airports cannot cope with a little chill, and disregard customers' comfort.

Isnt that like all major cities in the UK though?
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isnt that like all major cities in the UK though?

Yes! :D

(I agree I have deliberately highlighted bad points. I live fairly close to London and know it has a fair few good aspects :))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    555 wrote: »
    Yes! :D

(I agree I have deliberately highlighted bad points. I live fairly close to London and know it has a fair few good aspects :))

I agree with probably most of your points, but I still love London :)
  • Options
    SeanHunterSeanHunter Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The news coverage of the Boxing Day sales said it all really - London is just an overcrowded mess, crammed with some of the greediest, pushiest people from all over the world. It's looking more and more like the Los Angeles as depicted in the film Bladerunner. There's no soul there anymore. Still an interesting place to visit, but an absolute rats nest to live in.
  • Options
    ThinWhitePukeThinWhitePuke Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    The homeless to me, an absolute eyesore, tourists walking around the west end at night having gone to see a show or theatre the first thing they are going to see is homeless people lying about in the streets many of them drunk or/and on drugs and very intimidating, not a good advert for London and I think many tourists won't come back because encountering the homeless put them off, it really lowers the tone of London and they should be rounded up and put in hostels and if there are no vacancies in hostels then a police station cell floor.

Other bad things about London include :

Rubbish in the streets, I travel a lot to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore and you would never encounter litter in the streets

Peace protesters, tourists go a lot to Parliament Square and Big Ben and Westminster Abbey etc and what is the first thing they see ? all these bloody smelly peace protesters with their left wing "free Palestine" placards
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The homeless to me, an absolute eyesore, tourists walking around the west end at night having gone to see a show or theatre the first thing they are going to see is homeless people lying about in the streets many of them drunk or/and on drugs and very intimidating, not a good advert for London and I think many tourists won't come back because encountering the homeless put them off, it really lowers the tone of London and they should be rounded up and put in hostels and if there are no vacancies in hostels then a police station cell floor.

wow, your compassion overwhelms me.
  • Options
    SeanHunterSeanHunter Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I travel a lot to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore and you would never encounter litter in the streets

Don't you get shot or something for dropping litter in the streets in Singapore?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It smells of poo!!!!

No it doesn't!!!!

It smells of wee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SeanHunter wrote: »
    Don't you get shot or something for dropping litter in the streets in Singapore?

Arrested and fined heavily yes, we could learn a lot from those 2 cities, both clean, green, beautiful, never seen a single piece of litter any of the times I have been
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    No it doesn't!!!!

It smells of wee.

and poo!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    wow, your compassion overwhelms me.

My compassion is a side issue but it is foolish to deny that a tourist being harrassed by a homeless person or stepping over them is going to leave London with a negative impression

With the olympics coming up too we need to have London looking bright and beautiful so that means ridding the streets of the homeless
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We went to London in 1993 and it was a great place. We went back last year and we couldn't believe how it had changed! Overcrowded and smelly in parts, and many of the shopping streets looked like something fron Delhi.
    Won't be going back.
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    i don't live in london but have been several times over the years and infact am spending new year there.

the one thing that puts me off is that everytime i go, there seems to be building & roadworks going on. i'm also not a fan of the underground in that the platform is always miles away from the actual entrance to the station.

Well yes, it is the underground. You can always get a normal train if you're that picky, or get the bus. :p