Gosh, you're tall, aren't you?!

2»

Comments

• WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    I'm more interested why women wear high heels, a more uncomfortable looking shoe it's difficult to imagine, but there they go, tottering about on 6 inch stillettos, risking long term foot problems or a sudden ankle snap just to make their dumpy legs look longer !!!!

And they say men are sad

Most of the night the silly mares end up carrying them and walking on bare feet.

Explain yourselves.

High heels. The Western equivalent of bound feet :(
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    I am 6 foot 8 and can confirm this is true.

Although you failed to mention some other things....

-clothes cost a fortune because whilst most shops will cater to fat bastards with a 50+ waist, nothing on the leg longer than 34, and thats if your lucky.

-I only drive MPVs or a big land rover if I had the money as most cars are not built with anyone over 6 foot 4 in mind. My knees get crushed in most cars and I am unable to actually use most small cars.

-my ****ing head has smashed more things than a wrecking ball. Doorways, extractor fans above cookers, signs in shops, trees. Oh god, trees are my enemy for the most part, just dragging across my face for fun

-whilst some ladies find it very handsome to be very tall, I think I sit in the "freakishly" tall end of the scale so some look like they have just seen the devil when they see me, all awe struck.

-everyone, and I mean everyone makes a comment about how tall I am. Every day without fail "gosh your tall, how tall are you" and then some sad act with self esteem issues chimes in "the bigger they are the harder they fall innit". I only want to buy a tin of beans and some cat food, why is this happening?!

-shoes end up looking like flippers

-aeroplane, HAHAHAHA yeah, good luck fitting into those coffins. My knees get punished like no other. Then have fun explaining to some dick that its not a case of me not letting them put their chair back, but my legs are actually in the way. Unless I remove my legs, I cannot make them any smaller.

- the jokes, oh the jokes. "is it raining up there" "did your mum make you sleep in a greenhouse" "is your penis big?". Again, most of the time I am just getting some screws and maybe a hex key, and all of a sudden I am the freak to be questioned. Do you realise I have been asked about my penis size more than I have been asked the time. Maybe I should wear a watch more often.

-You will always have to stand at the back of photos, although to me this is a bonus as I hate pictures being taken. Like big foot :P

Its a hard thing to live with as you stick out like a sore thumb once you get to the "really tall" end of the scale.

My personal fav is this though. Every single person seems to have a cousin who is "about the same size, maybe a bit taller and a bit buffer". Somewhere out their is a town with giants living in it. Its pure intimidation, even though especially with females I try to raise the pitch of my voice and appear as friendly as I can to avoid that intimidating aspect of towering over people.

Amazing - even your post is tall!! :D

I can see why it must be a pain - 6ft8 really is unusually tall. It must make loads of simple things in life uncomfortable because everything is designed for people at least 6 inches shorter. And it must be horrible always being so 'visible' and unable to blend into the crowd.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    It is a funny one..My eldest daughter loves the 'Wow you are so tall for your age' Think she is nearly 5ft8, she is very proud of her height..

I get 'Wow you are so short, how come your daughter is so tall..' I look blankly and usually say well my grandfather was 6ft 5, their dad is 6ft 3...etc. etc. genetic variation and all that..

Now Tal'shiar I can understand how you feel, although from the opposite end of the spectrum!

:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    I am 6 foot 8 and can confirm this is true.

Although you failed to mention some other things....

-clothes cost a fortune because whilst most shops will cater to fat bastards with a 50+ waist, nothing on the leg longer than 34, and thats if your lucky.

-I only drive MPVs or a big land rover if I had the money as most cars are not built with anyone over 6 foot 4 in mind. My knees get crushed in most cars and I am unable to actually use most small cars.

-my ****ing head has smashed more things than a wrecking ball. Doorways, extractor fans above cookers, signs in shops, trees. Oh god, trees are my enemy for the most part, just dragging across my face for fun

-whilst some ladies find it very handsome to be very tall, I think I sit in the "freakishly" tall end of the scale so some look like they have just seen the devil when they see me, all awe struck.

-everyone, and I mean everyone makes a comment about how tall I am. Every day without fail "gosh your tall, how tall are you" and then some sad act with self esteem issues chimes in "the bigger they are the harder they fall innit". I only want to buy a tin of beans and some cat food, why is this happening?!

-shoes end up looking like flippers

-aeroplane, HAHAHAHA yeah, good luck fitting into those coffins. My knees get punished like no other. Then have fun explaining to some dick that its not a case of me not letting them put their chair back, but my legs are actually in the way. Unless I remove my legs, I cannot make them any smaller.

- the jokes, oh the jokes. "is it raining up there" "did your mum make you sleep in a greenhouse" "is your penis big?". Again, most of the time I am just getting some screws and maybe a hex key, and all of a sudden I am the freak to be questioned. Do you realise I have been asked about my penis size more than I have been asked the time. Maybe I should wear a watch more often.

-You will always have to stand at the back of photos, although to me this is a bonus as I hate pictures being taken. Like big foot :P

Its a hard thing to live with as you stick out like a sore thumb once you get to the "really tall" end of the scale.

My personal fav is this though. Every single person seems to have a cousin who is "about the same size, maybe a bit taller and a bit buffer". Somewhere out their is a town with giants living in it. Its pure intimidation, even though especially with females I try to raise the pitch of my voice and appear as friendly as I can to avoid that intimidating aspect of towering over people.

I'm 'only' 6ft1 , but I can completely agree with most of what you say.

Any long journey by car. bus, train or plane, can be excruciating! On a flight to Turkey a few years ago, the person in front of me got very irate that they couldn't recline their seat. As you mentioned, there was physically nothing I could do about it, other than either cut my legs off or stand in the aisle for the entire flight!

It can be difficult living in a world designed for shorter people. One things that bugs me is the height of sinks. I have noticed this more and more over the years. I hate having to constantly stoop and bend my back whilst I am shaving or having a wash.

I'm convinced this is why tall people tend to be prone to bad backs. It's not that we are destined to have bad backs per se, but that we have spent our entire lives stooping, squeezing and bending our bodies to fit into a world not designed for our height. I was at the cinema recently too, and not only was the legroom pretty tight, the seat backs were also slightly too short for me, so I had nowhere to rest my head. Came out with a very sore neck! (to be fair though, some cinemas are excellent, with very comfy seats!)
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I have noticed which is a positive for short people, is that short slim people often look very young for their age.
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Short people live longer. Better genes.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J L wrote: »
    I'm 'only' 6ft1 , but I can completely agree with most of what you say.

Any long journey by car. bus, train or plane, can be excruciating! On a flight to Turkey a few years ago, the person in front of me got very irate that they couldn't recline their seat. As you mentioned, there was physically nothing I could do about it, other than either cut my legs off or stand in the aisle for the entire flight!

It can be difficult living in a world designed for shorter people. One things that bugs me is the height of sinks. I have noticed this more and more over the years. I hate having to constantly stoop and bend my back whilst I am shaving or having a wash.

I'm convinced this is why tall people tend to be prone to bad backs. It's not that we are destined to have bad backs per se, but that we have spent our entire lives stooping, squeezing and bending our bodies to fit into a world not designed for our height. I was at the cinema recently too, and not only was the legroom pretty tight, the seat backs were also slightly too short for me, so I had nowhere to rest my head. Came out with a very sore neck! (to be fair though, some cinemas are excellent, with very comfy seats!)

The world is designed for people between about 5' 2" and about 5' 11", which probably the vast majority fit into. The more you stray outside those parameters, the more uncomfortable, inconvenient and socially embarrassing it gets.

6' 2" here, and I've experienced the same as you with cramped seating. Can't say I've noticed much of an issue with the height of sinks though ?

There's a bloke at work who's 6' 8" and I gather that clothes are a particular difficulty for him. He can't buy "off the peg", as it were - whereas with trousers, for example, which most commonly come in leg lengths of 29", 31" & 33" for men, I can quite happily get away with 31", although 33" is marginally better.

Just as a matter of interest, people are much taller - on average - in Holland, I've noticed. I feel sort of average height for a bloke over there.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    short people are capable of making millions as limbo dancers though, and they have the xmas elf market sewn up!
    so it's swings and roundabouts.
    the people good at the swings are the ones with the freaky long legs and the ones with the freaky long arms are good at the roundabouts.
    I'm more interested why women wear high heels, a more uncomfortable looking shoe it's difficult to imagine, but there they go, tottering about on 6 inch stillettos, risking long term foot problems or a sudden ankle snap just to make their dumpy legs look longer !!!!

And they say men are sad
    I'm not sad when I look at women w/ high heels :cool:
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 5ft 1. The absolute worst thing about being short is how people decide it's 'cute' and see it as a cue to invade my personal space. No, you cannot rest your arm/pint on my head/shoulder, or tap my head patronisingly whilst informing me how short I am. You cannot take items from me and put them out of reach, neither can you pick me up 'because it's funny'. I'm an adult, not an effing child.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ I'm sorry if anyone patronises you in that bad way. Sit on my knee and tell me all about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Being a shortarse is bad enough in the first place but rubbing someone's nose in it by commenting on their diminutive stature only adds insult to injury.

I imagine it stems from short people being likened to children, tall people to adults, so when you see a Shorty you immediately want to bend down, grab their cheeks and go, "Coochie coochie coo".

for some people, being tall can be equally as bad. I am quite tall and as i'm a woman, it makes me feel slightly self conscious. So i don't like it pointed out all the time.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tall folk moaning [ again ] that everything is designed for Munchikins rather than for their freakishly gangly limbs..

It's a myth, it's all in their mind, the femur of a 6' 5" person is only 1.87 inches longer than the femur of a 5' 10" person, when you sit down in a seat the length of the femur is the criteria for leg room.

Tall people only THINK the leg room in a car or plane is too small, because they love to bring attention to the fact that they are taller than average..
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a quick google:

http://uk.askmen.com/top_10/travel/top-10-tallest-countries_10.html

The top 10 tallest countries.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tall folk moaning [ again ] that everything is designed for Munchikins rather than for their freakishly gangly limbs..

It's a myth, it's all in their mind, the femur of a 6' 5" person is only 1.87 inches longer than the femur of a 5' 10" person, when you sit down in a seat the length of the femur is the criteria for leg room.

Tall people only THINK the leg room in a car or plane is too small, because they love to bring attention to the fact that they are taller than average..

This is quite true.

I'm over 6ft but I manage, you just have to put your arse to the back of the seat a bit more.
  • FrankieThePandaFrankieThePanda Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a 5'10 female and even I have trouble fitting my legs into to some places so how people 6'+ People cope I have no idea, gangly legs are not made for this current world :(